PDA

View Full Version : Field & Stream - 11 Legendary Hunting Dogs

Dean Romig
02-22-2019, 02:42 PM
Frequent contributor to Parker Pages and well known sporting author Tom Keer contacted me today to bring to my attention an article he wrote for Field & Stream which was published a day or two ago.

There are several Champion bird dogs featured in his article and I'm sure many of you will recognize their names and their histories. I certainly appreciate the bird dogs we read about in many of the old sporting publications and their tremendous feats. But the ones that come to the forefront that Tom writes about, at least for me, are the beautiful English Setters that Earl Twombly bred and raised. One of our favorite upland authors and the creator of Tales of The Lower Forty which was a feature column in Field & Stream through the 1950's and well into the 1970's and his famous "The Road to Tinkhamtown" was Corey Ford. Corey had two of Earl Twombly's setters and named them Cider and Tober.

Today the Twombly line of English Setters are bred and raised at Coronation Kennels in Lowell, VT by Legh and Jenn Higgins. Legh Higgins is Earl Twombly's grandson and carries on the traditions set by Earl back in the 30's, 40's and 50's.
Both my "Grace" and Ted Hicks' "Grayson" are Twombly Setters and they are wonderful dogs.

Thanks for the link Tom - That's a very nice article! :bigbye: https://www.fieldandstream.com/11-legendary-hunting-dogs

Dean Romig
02-22-2019, 06:50 PM
I especially like Legh and Jenn's selection of a logo for Coronation Kennels.

It is a caricature of Corey's "Tober" sketched by none other than Corey Ford himself

Garry L Gordon
02-23-2019, 08:42 PM
Thanks, Dean, for sharing this article. A nice, wide range of wonderful dogs...and, hey(!), he includes a Gordon.:bowdown:

Ken Hill
02-23-2019, 09:26 PM
Dean,

Thanks for posting. Like Garry, I'm glad to see a Gordon recognized in this group.

Ken

legh higgins
02-24-2019, 08:45 PM
I especially like Legh and Jenn's selection of a logo for Coronation Kennels.

It is a caricature of Corey's "Tober" sketched by none other than Corey Ford himself

.couldn't have done it without a little help from our friends. :bigbye:

Shawn Wayment
02-25-2019, 01:15 PM
Tom's a good friend of mine. Helluva a write too! I love Cory Ford...I'd love to get one of those hats!

Dean Romig
02-25-2019, 01:26 PM
I'm sure Legh can arrange that!........ Hey Legh, are you reading this?

legh higgins
02-25-2019, 02:49 PM
I'm sure Legh can arrange that!........ Hey Legh, are you reading this?

.the hats are free...you have to buy a puppy to get one.
PM me your address Shawn and let me know Male or Female:bigbye:

Ted Hicks
03-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Grayson says:

legh higgins
03-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Grayson says:we thought you were coming up?:bigbye:

Ted Hicks
03-04-2019, 06:43 AM
Legh - hectic family life and hectic professional life lead to unpredictable scheduling. Perhaps Grayson and I can visit this spring/early summer.