PDA

View Full Version : New Book Review

Larry Frey
10-21-2010, 03:03 PM
Gentlemen,
During the process of securing ad space in Parker Pages for some new gun books by the publishers of Shooting Sportsman I have arranged to receive copies of there newest offerings with the promise to publish a book review thereafter. I would like to offer any PGCA member the opportunity to read these new books as long as they agree to supply Parker Pages with a written review to be published in a future issue. If anyone has interest in this please send me a PM. I will do this on a first come basis but if I have more than one person interested perhaps we can forward the books around so others can enjoy. The first book is described below from the SS website.

Hemingway's Guns: The Sporting Arms of Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway is an enduring celebrity—a mythic writer and alpha male, he drew themes of action, adventure, and courage, from his days afield in North America, Cuba, Europe, and East Africa. As a hunter and conservationist, he drew greatly from the strong example of Theodore Roosevelt, and he much enjoyed teaching newcomers to shoot and hunt. Including short excerpts from Hemingway’s works, these stories of his guns and rifles—as well as how he acquired them and what he did with them—tell us much about "Papa" as a lifelong, expert hunter and shooter and as a man.

Dean Romig
10-21-2010, 03:14 PM
Happy to do it Larry... count me in please.

Mark Ouellette
10-22-2010, 07:20 AM
Larry,

I'll take on that tasker. Imagine, reviewing documentation that I am truely interested in...

Mark

Larry Frey
10-22-2010, 07:52 AM
Hi Mark,
I wonder if you were this eager to do a book report in 6th grade?:)

For those interested please send me a pm. I am making a list of interested persons and will get back to each of you as these books become available.

Jack Cronkhite
10-23-2010, 12:52 PM
I wonder if you were this eager to do a book report in 6th grade?:)

Ah, book reports. My brief experience:

Read the whole book, did my best report 70%
Read half the book, did a half-hearted report 80%
Made up a non-existent book and an imaginative report 90% (it was about hunting)
Always wondered if the teacher knew it was BS or not.
Cheers,
Jack