PDA

View Full Version : The Opener

Russ Jackson
10-17-2010, 09:59 AM
Well ,opening day finally arrived ,Sat. The 16th of Oct ! I had been anxiously awaiting it . I have been having a lot of hip pain the last few months and knew I wouldn't last long afield ,but planned on hunting three small coverts ,that are on the small side and would give me sit down travel time between them ! The morning started out a little later than usual ,since I planned on the short day .
The temp. was great, Blue Bird skys around 40 degrees with a slight breeze ,perfect weather for my nine year old pointing Dog ,Chip .
I finally put Chip on the ground around 8:00 Am and we started out at the old Zimmerman Place ,two small ponds secluded back in among a small lot of Quaken Ash ,to my suprise we never moved a bird in the bottom or had any Birdiness from Chip ,I guess no one home ,crossed the old dirt road to catch a small area of grape vines and small dogwoods ,and immediatly Chip was stretched out like a cat ready to strike ,the Grouse broke cover on the other side of a cluster of grape vines and I just caught a glimpse of heading into a small stand of young poplar about a hundred yards away ,the next flush was a repeat and he seemed to have left the vicinity ,There is another small pond on the other end of the property and with my hip as sore as it has been ,I was close to the Jeep so I loaded Chip up and drove the mile or so to the other side ,normally I would have walked the distance but usually its vacant of game other than an occasional Ring Neck ,which aren't in season in Pa. yet .
I started around the high side of the small pond on the west end of the old farm and looked down to my right where I had last heard Chips bell ,he was on point ,but with less enthusiasm than the previous point ,normally he appears as if his eyes are going to explode right out of his head ,he then started to creep very slowly and would stand and creep ,and stand and creep ,I knew he had one moving in front of him ,I started to circle to my left to try and get in front of Chip working to get up the little rise in front of me , the Grouse broke cover to my left off of a small crown at the top of the rise he flew straight and then banked right at about 30 yards out ,without even thinking , the little gun was shouldered ,106312 barked and I saw the bird crumple and drop to the ground ,I marked the spot and called Chip in with " Hunt Dead " and it wasn't but a minute till we had the first bird of the season in hand ! All Totaled Chip and I moved the Two Grouse and Ten Woodcock in the three coverts in less than three hours ! It was truly a wonderful Day afield ! I Thank God I live in the greatest Country in the World ,where we are still able to take our fine old guns and our old dogs and enjoy our time in the field ! Russ

charlie cleveland
10-17-2010, 11:25 AM
im jealous.... those are the hours you have just told us about in the field that keep us dreaming of tomorow hunt....i and others were on the hunt wth you....i can see the dog on point now.....and a great looking gun..is it a stevens...ha thanks charlie

Harry Collins
10-17-2010, 12:14 PM
What a wonderful day Russ. I enjoied your story almost as much as if I had been with you. Factory 25" barrels, how are they chokec? My 28 gauge VH has 26" barrels that are cylinder and full and I realy like that combination.

Harry

Russ Jackson
10-17-2010, 01:29 PM
im jealous.... those are the hours you have just told us about in the field that keep us dreaming of tomorow hunt....i and others were on the hunt wth you....i can see the dog on point now.....and a great looking gun..is it a stevens...ha thanks charlie

A Stevens :rotf: ,I knew you were a character from the first time I spoke with you Charlie !! :bigbye:

Russ Jackson
10-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Thank you for the kind words Harry ,I could have told much more about the fine Woodcock work that old Chip performed ,but I am long winded and didn't want to bore the class ! The 28 Ga. according to Galazans Brass choke gauge is Imp. Mod ,Right Barrel and Extra Full , Left .I always liked a nice wide open choke on the Right side myself ,but I am not messing with this little gun !Also a little tighter pattern ,just may get that minimal 5/8 Oz. of shot to the kill zone a little better ,I am not the fastest on the draw !

Marc Retallack
10-17-2010, 01:39 PM
Great story and wonderful pics Russ. Maybe I need to drive a few hours west this week. ;);)

Cheers
Marcus

charlie cleveland
10-17-2010, 02:19 PM
russ thats really a good combination of chokes on that good lookin stevens..it may be the best stevens ive seen yet....charlie

Dave Suponski
10-17-2010, 07:25 PM
Russ, As Harry said I felt like I was there with ya..great story buddy. How about the second chapter with the woodcock you shot with your Stevens...:duck:

Jack Cronkhite
10-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Russ: Kindred spirits enjoy such a post. As successive seasons pass, the enjoyment grows, even through our aches and pains. I'm sure all here would have loved to share time like this with you. Thanks for sharing it through cyber space.

Nicely composed images. Eye candy for the inveterate bird hunter.

Cheers,
Jack

Russ Jackson
10-17-2010, 08:09 PM
Dave ,and Jack , Thank you both for the compliments on the " Ahem ,Short Story " I really enjoy reading the " Hunting with Parkers " also ! There is nothing like spending time afield with your Bird Dog , Family , Friends ,and your favorite Stevens Shotgun !:)