PDA

View Full Version : First Hunt with Parker VHE

William Maynard
10-16-2010, 11:41 AM
First hunt with my 1924 Parker VHE, 1 fram on opeining day 2010. Took down this hen with the help of my Springer. Used the RST, 2 3/4 number 6 shot.

Larry Frey
10-16-2010, 12:22 PM
Congratulations William,
I'm sure you and your new Parker will team up on many more pheasants as the season progresses. I bet it was a bit breezy out there this morning where you were.

William Maynard
10-16-2010, 12:55 PM
Good to hear from another CT. hunter. Yes, it was breezy. Looking forward to another hopefully good season. I am curious if you hunted this morning?

Larry Frey
10-16-2010, 03:22 PM
William,
Typically I would bow hunt in the morning and then when all the other hunters were done and the birds were scattered my 9 yo lab and I would enjoy an afternoon hunt. With the high winds today I decided not to bow hunt and we went out this morning with all the opening day yahoo's. We hunted in Guilford, where did you hunt?

William Maynard
10-17-2010, 07:39 AM
I hunted in Stonnington. I usally hunt all over the Eastern part of the state. I usally try to stay away from the big crowds. Did you have any luck?

Larry Frey
10-17-2010, 02:16 PM
We got our birds in about an hour and a half. My son and grandson got theirs over at Herd SP in Haddam. Keep your eye out for our spring shoot at Addieville in May. You will get to have some fun and meet Parker shooters from all around New England.

William Maynard
10-17-2010, 05:56 PM
Yes, I know that area. I have hunted there. Not to far of a ride. I try to hunt all over the eastern side of the state. I like to mix it up alittle. What did you think of the stocking for opening day? I heard alot of complaints from a few of the hunters that I ran into, saying they thought that not many birds were put out? I know I had to "work" for the birds that I got. Although that is what hunting is all about. I have heard about Addieville, RI. I was suppose to go last year, but things came up and I could not make it. I will have to make it a point in 2011. Do alot of people attend?

Robin Lewis
10-17-2010, 06:13 PM
Mark your calender. The 6th Annual New England Fun Shoot will take place Saturday May 14th with a rain date of Sunday May 15th.

In years past the number of people has grown a little each year but the numbers are not large. I don't know the exact numbers but I suspect Dave does and he will likely reply to this when he sees this thread.

Its a nice time, we look over Robin Hollow's inventory, shoot a round of Sporting Clays and that is followed by a picnic lunch. People bring burgers and dogs .... etc and we use the grill and tables provided by the farm. After eating some folks head home and others shoot at the five stand range. All in all, it has always been a fun day and a good way to visit with distant PGCA friends.

Dave Suponski
10-17-2010, 06:22 PM
William, Please do join us at Addieville in May. Eastern CT is just a long stone's throw from Mapleville and Addieville East Farm is a top notch shooting facility. Last year along with a contingent of Fox shooters(who lost to us by the way)we approached 30 shooters. This year I am expecting a few more along with some guy's from PA and one notorious Parker shooter from Michigan. It's a great day so join us please....:)

William Maynard
10-17-2010, 09:06 PM
Dave, I was suppose to contact you and go last year. Sometimes my plate gets extra full and I have to put some things to the side to make some room. I hope to make it next May......

Dean Romig
10-18-2010, 06:13 AM
William, if your "better half" enjoys shooting bring her along..... even if she doesn't shoot it's nice to have someone along to tote your guns... :whistle:

Marc Retallack
10-18-2010, 04:23 PM
Hi Dean

I'm in the market for one of those ladies you mentioned. Where might a fella find himself one?:corn:

Cheers
Marcus

Dean Romig
10-18-2010, 04:32 PM
These days?... I don't know. I was lucky enough to find mine about forty-nine years ago and we just celebrated our fortieth anniversary with PGCA friends in Maryland.

And, these days she carries her own and shoots a bit too.

Marc Retallack
10-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Congratulations on your 40yr anniversary Dean. It's nice to know there are those who still take commitment seriously.

Marcus

Larry Frey
10-18-2010, 08:21 PM
William, if your "better half" enjoys shooting bring her along..... even if she doesn't shoot it's nice to have someone along to tote your guns... :whistle:

For mine the gun toting came easy.

Now that she's deer hunting with us she's going to have to learn to gut and drag.:duck: