PDA

View Full Version : A Setter and a Lefever!!

Mike Koneski
11-21-2018, 02:07 PM
Had Ms. Callie out again to train at Ringneck Ridge. Let’s just say if Doug Marcaida was evaluating her, he’d say “This dog, she will hunt!” She found, pointed, held on 6 birds. Didn’t retrieve the first four to hand but the last two she did. The Lefever 16g was 6 for 6. A very good day!! Thanks to John Piccotti for his help and expertise with the training.

Mills Morrison
11-21-2018, 03:31 PM
Beautiful dog.

Reggie Bishop
11-21-2018, 03:31 PM
Love the coloring of that Setter! The gun ain't bad either!

Dean Romig
11-21-2018, 05:00 PM
I call her an orange Belton, is that what you call her Mike? Very pretty girl!

Be tough to see her on a snowy day in the scrub oak...

Daryl Corona
11-21-2018, 07:22 PM
What a doll! What will she weigh, about 45-55lbs. when mature?

And who is Doug Marcaida?

Garry L Gordon
11-21-2018, 10:35 PM
What a beautifully colored setter! Beautiful gun, beautiful dog. Looks like you have some good years to come. Enjoy, and thanks for posting those pictures.

Mike Koneski
11-22-2018, 12:59 PM
I call her an orange Belton, is that what you call her Mike? Very pretty girl!

Be tough to see her on a snowy day in the scrub oak...

Dean, she's actually a tri-color. She has some black strips on the outside of her ears. As for scrub oak, we don't have any around here. :-)

Mike Koneski
11-22-2018, 01:07 PM
What a doll! What will she weigh, about 45-55lbs. when mature?

And who is Doug Marcaida?

If she gets to 50 that'll be a lot! We're used to big Setters. We consider her tiny. As for Doug Marcaida, he's a judge on "Forged in Fire", best TV show out there. He is a marshall arts instructor. He specializes in Kali/Eskrima. When he puts the blades through various tests, the response the smiths want to hear is "This blade will kill" or "This blade will cut". The show is on the History Channel, check it out. Smiths come into the forge and must make various assigned bladed weapons in a two @ 3 hour challenges. Then the final 2 smiths have 5 days to forge the final weapon at their home forges. Very cool and educational/entertaining. One of the judges is a custom bladesmith near us, J. Nielsson.

Daryl Corona
11-22-2018, 01:13 PM
Good info, I'll check Doug out on FIF. At 50 lbs. she should be the perfect weight for an all day hunt. Looking forward to giving her a scratch behind the ear.

Reggie Bishop
11-22-2018, 01:59 PM
I have always preferred small setters here in the South.

Frank Srebro
11-22-2018, 07:54 PM
I saw Callie yesterday along with their newest pup Dutch while shooting at the Rock. Great dogs! Mike told me about the training at Ringneck but kept his stealth 16 Lefever hidden away. He told me he got it months ago and so far I've only seen the pic he posted here.

I can see it now, Mountain Man Mike digging thru the coal mine tailing dumps down in the valley, scrounging traditional fossil fuel for the forge he'll set up under the old pavilion at his 5-stand. Plenty of deer skins on hand at Rock this year to make a bellows. Get some vintage leaf springs from that dude with all the junk tractors and such on the creek road down from his club. Hint: I remember seeing a rusty spring tooth harrow next to one of the guy's shacks. Next season, Mike the Fox Hollow Bladesmith will be the star on that TV show, chopping up cow carcasses and cutting wide paths thru arctic willow when the producers fly him up north. :)

As my friend Mike might end a post, Bwaaahahahhhahahaa :rotf:

Bob Brown
11-22-2018, 08:51 PM
It's interesting watching the contestants making damascus steel to create some of the blades. Some are very good at it.

Mike Koneski
11-22-2018, 09:58 PM
Bob, there are some very skilled smiths on that show. I like the “Cutting Deeper” episodes. They give more insights to what they do in the forge.

Frank, use coal sometime, but gas forging is easier to control. You nailed it with the spring steel though!! 😀 Fox Hollow Kennel and Forge!! Niiiiiice!! :clap::clap::clap::clap: