PDA

View Full Version : Parker Hammer 10 gauge

Jerry Andrews
10-09-2010, 07:45 PM
I bought a Parker hammer 10 gauge O grade I think. All this talk about these old war-horses finally came over me like a set of shears on a sheep. Serial # 50960. Lot's of case colors on the locks & top, perfect barrels inside and very nice pattern. What can anyone tell me about that one? I'm going through the Parker book tonight ( thanks for encouraging me not to sell the books! ) to see what I can find. What a beautiful gun!
I also bought serial # 79077, 10 gauge , EH grade. I really don't know much about these guns but they are both really nice condition.
Thanks much, Jake

Mark Landskov
10-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Cool! My 1879 Lifter is a 2-5/8" chambered 10. The gun is in pieces ('bits' as the English say) for clean-up and TLC. The right hammer is cracked, though. Brad Bachelder said he has a process with some sort of laser welding that he can repair it with. The gun was restocked, who knows when, and needs some TLC in the wood department. The forend is original. There is a debate right now about barrels made by Parker. Mine are 'Laminated Steel' with suspicious markings! I just purchased a Lee Loader for short 10s so I can eventually assemble my own shells. It should prove to be an interesting gun! Good luck with yours. Cheers!

Jerry Andrews
10-09-2010, 10:15 PM
I'm taking it from your tags you are/were military. If so, thank you for serving and the same to anyone else on this board who wore/wears the uniform. It means something to me. It's part of America. It's why America is what it is and why we are free. Thanks so all.
About the damascus guns. Where can a person buy the RST shells? I can't wait to shoot the thing! Jerry

Mark Landskov
10-09-2010, 10:20 PM
http://www.classicusc.com/RST_Shotshells_s/139.htm
This is where I buy my RSTs. I believe that RST sells by the 'flat' only. Classic Upland sells individual boxes. There may be other places, as RST has a page of dealers all over the place. Thank you for your kind remarks. Cheers!

calvin humburg
10-09-2010, 10:22 PM
www.RSTSHELLS.com or 570 555 1651 rst phone# opps mark beat me

Harry Collins
10-10-2010, 07:56 AM
Jerry,

Look at dealers on the RST page. There is a distributor in Morehead, Kentucky. Is that close to you?

Harry

Dean Romig
10-10-2010, 11:18 PM
Or you can order RST ammo from our good friends and PGCA members at Classic Upland Supply Co. which not only helps them but helps RST, PGCA members too, as well.

http://www.classicusc.com/

David Hamilton
10-13-2010, 05:47 PM
Jerry, You describe your gun as being in what I would call excellent condition! Congratulations! Many of the older guns have pitted barrels and little finish left on the metal. You have found an unusual gun. David

Jerry Andrews
10-13-2010, 07:02 PM
Yes, and to top it off, an old Baker 10 gauge hammer in very nice condition, but L.c. Smith wondered in the shop today! It's amazing how many fly rods get traded towards old double barrels. Jerry

David Hamilton
10-17-2010, 09:50 PM
Jerry, There is a group of people who shoot side by side shotguns in Virginia. The headquarters of this Vintegers organization is near Winchester. Come shoot with us! David

Jerry Andrews
10-18-2010, 07:23 AM
Thanks for the invite! When are the shoots? Between restocks, repairs, Smith single trigger & ejector repairs and bamboo fly rod orders, I'm about nuts! I sold the timber business awhile back to fly fish more. Man did this backfire! But I so enjoy the people and fixing stuff especially that others shy away from due to various reasons. I was able to disassemble an A-1 Smith last week with first style ejectors, forend latch was broken and the forend was locked on the gun. It had been that way for years according to the owner. And what a gorgeous gun it was. I made a spring jig to slip up the bottom side of the rib to grab hold of the little slide that locks into the barrel lug and release it. It did take me a week to do it however. Turns out the guy that owns the gun is good friends with an engraver and they are going to take care of my Eagle grade forend that needs engraved. Funny how it all fits together with folks sometimes. Jerry

Dean Romig
10-18-2010, 09:31 AM
Funny how it all fits together with folks sometimes. Jerry

You can say that again Jerry. We are all so fortunate to be part of this community of shooters/collectors/craftsmen who are all so eager to help one-another.