PDA

View Full Version : Meridan with chain damascus

Bruce Day
09-30-2010, 02:59 PM
A particularly high grade Meridan. The fit and finish is second tier on these guns but they used good barrels. This one had good wood and good engraving for what it is. I had not seen chain damascus on a Meridan gun before. Owned by an acquaintance and barrels redone by Dale Edmonds.

Larry Frey
09-30-2010, 03:59 PM
Those barrels are stunning. Thanks for sharing.

Dean Romig
09-30-2010, 04:06 PM
Thanks Bruce. I've seen chain damascus on Meriden guns but, like you said, on the higher grades. Personally, I think the Meriden guns are really nice when in high original condition and I'll probably own the "right one" someday.

Bruce Day
09-30-2010, 05:01 PM
Too bad Parker didn't use chain damascus, I think its a beautiful pattern. Lefevers and Remington Model 1889 also used chain and maybe some day I'll find the right one of those. I like the case colors on those Meridan and Aubrey guns. Underneath the side plates, the internal mechanism are a bit crude and not well finished in comparison to a Parker, even a low grade Parker, but for a collector of classic American made guns, they are a nice addition.

The Meridan buttplate is made of some early plastic material mixed with fibers, not like a Parker. Don't know what its called. You can see that as it deteriorated, the fibers became more noticeable.

Drew Hause
09-30-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks Bruce. Lots about Aubrey/Meriden guns here http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/view/17474742

Brad Bachelder
10-01-2010, 09:12 AM
Very nice Bruce, we are currently restoring that guns twin. It is a grade 58 with the same barrels. This gun is stocked in very high grade French walnut, original, instead of american black. The engraving is the same but the birds look like pregnant turmips.
I love the Ithica guns due to their use of chain barrels

Brad

Bruce Day
10-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Brad, yes this is a grade 58 gun. I'd forgotten about the Ithaca guns with chain damascus. There was one Ithaca model that had a possibility of frame cracks but a later one where the frame was strengthened.....maybe the NID? Jack Puglisi's personal favorites are the high grade Ithacas.

james van blaricum
10-05-2010, 04:49 PM
I have an A3 16 ga LC Smith with chain damascus barrels. Has great wood and as I understand
there were only 13 made.jvb