PDA

View Full Version : Duck Stamp Special

Greg Baehman
09-29-2010, 11:52 AM
You rarely get a chance for one of these beauties. Personally, it's the first one I've seen offered since they were initially built...wonder what it'll bring?

http://www.gunsinternational.com/PARKER-REPRODUCTION-DUCK-STAMP-SPCL-.cfm?gun_id=100150434

Kenny Graft
09-30-2010, 06:40 AM
I sent a e-mail and asked...no reply as yet?? I would think 25-30K

Rich Anderson
09-30-2010, 08:49 AM
Now the question is IF you had it would you use it or let it rest in the case tucked away in the safe untill you die and the wife sells it?

Me, I'd shoot it thats what it was built for. It will still appreciate in value so why not enjoy it after all the bottom line is the enjoyment of the owner.

Eric Eis
09-30-2010, 09:11 AM
You know for a gun of that quality, you would think that the guy could take a few in focus, no reflection pictures of it. I think it is the same gun that was pictured in SS years ago, but again with the lousy photos it's hard to tell. Stupid...

Jack Cronkhite
09-30-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm with Richard on this. shoot 'em and shoot 'em some more. I couldn't be a custodian so I shouldn't have a high ender. No matter the preservation principle, there's not much left of some ancient civilizations and that's only 20X the Parker time period. Yep, I'd shoot 'em.

I had the same thought as Eric when I tried to have a look at the pics. Kind of hurt the eyes a bit. If I were selling such a gun and could not make good images myself, I would pay a photographer to show the gun in the best possible way. That said, it is unlikely the pictures will be the critical part of the sale.

Cheers,
Jack

Paul Ehlers
09-30-2010, 06:44 PM
How about the buggered-up screws ?? I question if this is the real deal Duck stamp special. Could it be one of the Galazan's sell off A-1's in the white that someone had engraved as a DSS. The bottom plate engraveing sure looks right though. I looked up the information on these in the Parker story and it say's all the DSS gun are finished in gray metal, this one has some blue coloration to it like light case coloring or possibly some other form of coloring.

Just wondering? I would sure hate to pay big bucks for this and then find out it's not totally the real deal.

Kenny Graft
09-30-2010, 07:10 PM
Wow ...the belly screws are all been turned and mared up...That finish looks warn as well. I have not had a reply to the P.O.R. ...Maybe will call?

Brian Stucker
09-30-2010, 07:57 PM
I got an email....60k. Yikes. :rotf:

Kenny Graft
09-30-2010, 08:31 PM
I lost that bet....I don't think remingtons new Parker is worth 49K either but they sell them! I think it will be awhile selling and surely will need the price lowered to move it. To bad some meat head boogered the screws on such a special gun......And why would anyone fool with them anyway? I would love to hear that story! Repairs will require a trip back to the engraver for sure....$$$$$

Brian Stucker
09-30-2010, 08:35 PM
After the screw fix (no pun) it will be worth....

Robin Lewis
09-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Are you sure the screws are a problem? Or, is it the picture? I can't tell, it looks like it could be a combination of the engraving and the quality of the photography rather than the gun. I hope that's it.

When these were advertised, I spoke to Jack at length about having one made but didn't follow through. Now I wish I had!

Rich Anderson
09-30-2010, 10:10 PM
Its worth what someone will pay for it. At the end of the day its a dressed up Repo with buggered screws. I doubt it will bring 60K but the seller has to start somewhere.

It's easier to buy a gun than it is to sell one....sometimes.

Kenny Graft
10-01-2010, 07:56 AM
The lister of that gun has done a poor job of marketing his item and has left lots of questions....the gun might be better than his pictures portray? Now buyers think the gun has defects... Talk about sticker shock! Maybe it does have defects and their trying to get out of it with no loss. Ask stupid money and get more than its worth, somthing like its true value for one thats not defective...HMMM If I was going to spend a larg amount....It would be on a original Parker gun...think what 30-60K would buy...(-: Not that I would not like to own a Duck stamp spl....just would want a mint one with double triggers at 25-30K....it would never see a boat ot duck blind! Thats a job for a three shot benelli....Im still looking for a steel shot spl. or sporting clays gun PG-DT I hope 65-7500.00 will still buy one? I would use it on wild roosters out west on windy days when shots are long...(-:

Jack Cronkhite
10-01-2010, 09:14 AM
I tend to think Robin has a point. I've looked hard at those out of focus and shallow depth of field images and think if they were in focus at a reasonable f stop and diffused light it would have picked up the subtleties of the engraving on the screw heads. Engraving will remove metal. On a screw head that can very quickly start looking like the screw is buggered. I tried looking only at the slots and with what you have to work with the edges seem straight.

If I had 60K to play with, I think I would spread it around for a few good guns. The "appreciation" of a few good guns, may be greater than the one gun over time.

Had to put "appreciation" in quotes. I agree it is harder to sell than buy. I did sell a gun about 40 years ago and still wonder why. The hard part to sell for me is to even consider it. For me "appreciation" is in the mind not monetary.

Okay, coffee brewed. One cup as an eye opener. Rest to the thermos. Dogs to the rolling kennel and we're off to "appreciate" a couple guns. One even has buggered screws.

I'm chuckling right now thinking as a young guy I would already have been up and gone hours ago to be in the field by first light. Youth and enthusiasm. I've now finally figured out I can take it easy and still find the birds after they've had their morning fill. Even if I don't, it is still a good day (a little lie I tell myself the older I get)
Cheers
Jack

charlie cleveland
10-01-2010, 03:08 PM
this is a nice gun... most of us only dream about owning a gun like this...but if i had that kinda dough and wanted that gunid just buy it...on the other hand 60 k would buy alot of old shooters.....old guns are a passion for me and each old parker or side by sideis a work of art be it the invinceables or the lowly o grades.....charlie

Rich Anderson
10-01-2010, 06:21 PM
Jack how sporting of you to allow time for the birds to have their breakfast also:)