PDA

View Full Version : New pack member

Robert Rambler
07-22-2018, 08:42 PM
After the lose of our girl Remy in April, Sandy has been searching for another pup. Introducing,, Rosebud, "Life goes on" Desmond. Desmond is 12 weeks old and quite the handsome fellow. Looking forward to training him for hunting and the memories to follow.

Daryl Corona
07-22-2018, 08:55 PM
There's nothing like a new pup. Did you get him locally?

Robert Rambler
07-22-2018, 09:09 PM
Daryl, Not too local, Coalport, PA. A three hour drive. Rosebud kennels currently has a line of Champion show dogs. This same line has had success in agility and a few as trained hunters.

Desmond is 12 weeks old and weights 18 lbs, should be a big boy. Guessing 60+ lbs .Hopefully big enough to handle ducks and geese. :)

Mark Ray
08-01-2018, 04:39 PM
Have really been curious of late about hunting bred poodles. A buddy has a black one that is dynamite on doves and ducks....retreiving.

Todd Poer
08-01-2018, 05:09 PM
Neighbor has a Labradoodle. He is just over a year old and close to 75 lbs and is a ball of energy. Unfortunately owner is not a hunter but I bet he wishes he was. Dog is smart, attentive and non stop energy. I have never been around a hunting poodle but know they are smart.

Robert Rambler
08-05-2018, 09:20 PM
At 12 weeks it looks like we have potential for a hunter!:)

I think this boy will be a joy to train!

Dean Romig
08-05-2018, 10:34 PM
He sure looks like a natural Bob.

Fluffy little guy, isn't he?
And I thought Grace picked up a lot of burrs.:whistle:

Robert Rambler
08-06-2018, 11:06 AM
He's a Teddy Bear right now, will be on the grooming table shortly.

I've lost count of the number of times people have ask how we get the burrs out of their coat. I always answer, "the same way you get them out of your English Setter":rotf:!

Dean Romig
08-06-2018, 11:34 AM
Yes, with a great deal of patience and combing beginning out at the end of the fur and working closer and closer to the skin. We never start against the skin and try to drag all the burrs out through the hair. I guess Kathy, being a professional stylist knows about tangles.

Robert Rambler
08-06-2018, 04:33 PM
The round ball burrs found around here we cut with a matt cutter. They brush out a lot easier when broken up.
A poodle needs a haircut every 3-4 weeks anyway, so cutting out matts is no big deal, it grows right back.
We generally shave them down closer during hunting season just to make it easier.

Dean Romig
08-06-2018, 04:36 PM
"Matt cutter"... is that like a Furminator?

Mark Ray
08-06-2018, 04:46 PM
The round ball burrs found around here we cut with a matt cutter. They brush out a lot easier when broken up.
A poodle needs a haircut every 3-4 weeks anyway, so cutting out matts is no big deal, it grows right back.
We generally shave them down closer during hunting season just to make it easier.

Have really been curious of late about hunting bred poodles. A buddy has a black one that is dynamite on doves and ducks....retreiving.

And then Maybe Not...….After 30 years of fishing Cockleburrs out of Setter hair....I have had it pretty easy the last Ten years!!!!

Robert Rambler
08-06-2018, 08:30 PM
"Matt cutter"... is that like a Furminator.

No looks more like a comb with blades.
https://www.chewy.com/safari-dog-mat-remover/dp/155268?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=hg&utm_content=Safari&utm_term=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgYLi5MnZ3AIV0ICfCh1PVgpZEAQYAyAB EgLNzfD_BwE

Robert Rambler
08-09-2018, 09:14 PM
Old master showing the new kid how it done !:)