PDA

View Full Version : Grade 2 lifter question?

Robin Lewis
09-22-2010, 05:07 PM
During a conservation about a grade 2 lifter, a gun with round bolsters similar to those of grade 2 top levers was a topic of question. The serial number is high for a lifter and probably near the transition to top levers.

The gun in question is seen in the "Parker Grades" and does differ from the others seen there.

Pictured below are round bolsters on a grade 2 and a small picture copied from the Grades Page of what is assumed to be the common style.

The question: Have you observed round bolsters on other grade 2 guns or is this unusual?

Dave Suponski
09-22-2010, 05:19 PM
Robin, Seems to me that the sculpted bolsters appeared on earlier guns and by the time top lever guns appeared the sculpted bolster was all but gone.

Kurt Densmore
09-24-2010, 09:39 PM
I have a circa 1882 grade 2 10 bore with round bolsters, integral fireing pins and check hook. I have seen a few others like it from that time frame. They usually have much more engraving then the grade 2 guns with the sculpted bolsters. There has been a rather nice one in 12 ga #2 frame on gunbroker for well over a year. If the price was much better it would probably reside in MI. BTW The one you pictured has the older style fireing pins.

Harry Collins
09-25-2010, 09:19 AM
My 1881 Grade 2 10 gauge lifter has the rounded bolsters as well.

Mark Landskov
09-25-2010, 06:09 PM
My 1879 Grade 2, #15728, has sculpted bolsters.

Nicholas Sarro
09-26-2010, 01:42 PM
I have a 1879. What are the bolsters?

Robin Lewis
09-26-2010, 02:06 PM
bolster - support and strengthen. On a shotgun, bolsters are the metal part of the frame the is behind the barrel breach. In the pictures seen here, the firing pins that the exposed hammers strikes passes through the "bolster" and down to the shell's primer.

On most Parker hammer guns, these bolsters are not a simple round metal supports but rather are sculpted. Parker shotguns with internal hammers have the round bolsters.

From the discussion here, it appears that some of the late model hammer guns were made in the style of the hammer-less guns. It seems strange that Parker would go to the expense to redesign the hammer gun frame during the transition to the new internal hammer design?

Nicholas Sarro
09-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Thanks. I kind of figured thats what they were, I just wanted to be sure.

David Yeatts
09-27-2010, 07:06 PM
Robin
Your gun set off quite a discussion in the Parker tent. I was talking with Gary Carmichael about lifters and he made the comment all the grade 2 lifters he knew of had sculpted bolsters but he referenced your call. I said mine #22592 had round bolsters and there was one for sell in the RST tent #22644 for sale. As we got to looking around the parker tent examples of both types were found. Austin said it was during the transition period and examples of both styles could be found and pointed out the bolsters were starting to be profiled for introduction of the straight firing pin in 82.
Dave