PDA

View Full Version : Hammers and Grouse!?

Mark Landskov
09-21-2010, 05:48 PM
My Lifter barrels are on the way home from Bachelders! I have never hunted Ruffed Grouse with a hammer gun. They don't usually make an announcement when they take off, soooo....I am soliciting advice from experienced hammer gunners! Trying to cock one of the hammers and swinging on a bird that has attained MACH 1 by then will be interesting. I do not have a dog, so I rely on my own stealth while listening and scanning the woods for movement. Cheers!

Dave Suponski
09-21-2010, 06:18 PM
Mark, Hammers cocked..gun open. You will find that closing the gun as you bring it to shoulder is more natural than you think. Try it a bit on a skeet field.

Harry Collins
09-21-2010, 07:51 PM
Mark,

When I was stationed in Naples, Italy in the early 70's I shot a little 20 gauge hammer gun at skeet. I would shoot about 500 shells a week and would cock the gun as it came to my shoulder. On doubles I would cock the right barrel and fire, drop the gun off the shoulder, cock the left barrel and shoot the second target. I was not a great shot doing this, but averaged about 96 out of 100. Station 8 was my nemisis as I was shooting International and you could not mount the gun until the bird left the house. When I am in the field I carry the gun with hammers down and gune closed. When the dog goes on point I will cock both hammers and flush. If a bird flushes without warning I will simply cock the gun and fire.

Harry QMC/SS-LT (I Mustanged)

Robin Lewis
09-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Mark,

I have hunted as Dave says but I warn you to take care to cover the open breach with your hand as you go though high weeds. Lots of seed and chaff can go into the open gun and cause it not to close up tight. If you are watching for it, it shouldn't be a problem.

When I hunt with other people or a dog, I'll hunt with the gun closed and hammers down. When the dog gets into action you can pull the hammers back and wait for the flush. Or, if there is someone hunting with me and no dog, I still hunt with the gun closed and hammers down, just to be safe.

Mark Landskov
09-21-2010, 08:48 PM
Thank you all for the info. I am looking forward to taking the Lifter out in the woods. Harry, my first ship took me on 3 Med cruises, '79, '80 and '81-'82. Naples was our homeport, especially for fresh goods. We serviced a lot of ships in the Med and had a great time inport.

Dean Romig
09-21-2010, 11:48 PM
Mark, I have always hunted with a hammergun the way Dave describes while sometimes in very birdy cover will hunt with hammers back, gun closed, muzzle straight up and trigger hand cupped around the trigger guard to prevent the errant twig from tripping a trigger. When the immediacy of the situation has passed I will break the gun open.

Russ Jackson
09-22-2010, 07:26 AM
Mark ,I agree with exactly as Dave and Dean have said ,and I will add only one thing ,just as much as the dirt and chaff getting in the bores ,I carry my hammer guns open and cocked ,but forget to cover the breech and I also lose some shells ! Just seems to add to the pleasure and uniqueness of using the old hammer guns ! But they sure do the job ! Good Luck Hunting , Russ

Mark Ouellette
09-22-2010, 08:31 AM
In the old days shooters would bite the front end of the shells to widen them. The wider or slightly oval end of the shell would not fall out of the barrels. I just stick my shell in the chambers about a half-inch and bend them outboard. The effect is the same, a sticky shell in the chamber.

Russ Jackson
09-22-2010, 08:37 AM
With the cost of Dental Work today ,You may be on to something Mark !