PDA

View Full Version : Duck loads for Parkers

Greg Baehman
09-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Wisconsin's duck opener is this coming Saturday, we'll be gunning over decoys out of a blind on a cattail infested shallow lake that attracts dabbling ducks--mostly mallards, teal and woodducks. I'd like to be shooting my 1912, 12-ga., 30" Trojan. What is your favorite non-toxic load that you would recommend for this all original 2 3/4" chambered, F/F choked Trojan?

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/bamb00zler/ParkerTrojan003.jpg

charlie cleveland
09-19-2010, 02:14 PM
if that was my gun ide probably be shooting 2 3/4 inch ...no 4 steel shot.. 1 ounce or 1 1/8 ounce load....if the chokes are not to tite...if chokes are tight i would be using some of rst s duck loads... just my 2 cents worth... hope you kill the limit charlie

E Robert Fabian
09-19-2010, 03:07 PM
1 oz. of Nice Shot #6 with AA hull and about 15 grs. 700X or 1 1/8 oz. Nice Shot with 800X.
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp
http://www.ecotungsten.com/online-store.html

Greg Baehman
09-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Thank you for those links Robert.

Do you know for certain if ecotungsten yields the same psi and fps when substituted for lead in lead shot recipes? Also, will my P-W shot bushings drop the same wt. load with ecotungsten as they do with lead?

E Robert Fabian
09-19-2010, 10:26 PM
Greg, I check my loads with a digital scale as I start a new load, I have found NS to be 5% + - lighter than lead. The NS web site states load same as lead, myself and several others haven't had any issues. Not sure what P-W bushing is but your shot bushing is measuring volume and NS is just a little lighter so you shouldn't have any problems. The negative is the price but I've never came home wishing I hadn't shot so many times. Try them in your favorite loads you'll like them.

Harry Collins
09-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Greg,

I would NOT shoot STEEL through your Full and FULL Parker. When steel shot first became manditory we foolishly opened up "Sputnik", our VH 12 gauge with 32" barrels, to improved cylinder and 3" chambers. We got away with shooting steel without "rifling" the barrels, but would not recomend it. I am always behind the times when it comes to ammunition inovations these days and don't know it shot shell manufacturers have made steel safe to shoot in our beloved old shotguns.

I am using NiceShot.

Harry

Mark Ouellette
09-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Gentlemen,

Pick your shots wisely and you will not spend that much on modern non-toxic shot. Example, during early goose season a small band of Canadas dropped into my pond for a little R&R. Too bad I had a trusty old (1899) Elsie in the hall closet (I keep ALL my Parkers in the gun safe) for just such a welcoming opportunity. Two rounds of #2 Nice Shot dropped 2 geese at over 55 yards! The load was 1&1/8 oz NS at 7000 PSI, 1200 FPS, 7625 powder, and a CB 4100 wad. The chokes are .040".

So, at long range a little Nice Shot did its job nicely. The cost for those 2 rounds? About $5. The value of dropping geese with an 111 year old chain barreled damascus gun from my front porch, and to have my old retriever do what he does best? Priceless!!!

Respectfully,
Mark

PS: Yes, I need to keep a Parker handy for the late season...

Greg Baehman
09-20-2010, 01:45 PM
Thank you gents for adding to the discussion.

In doing a little research on the web it is reported that when reloading Nice Shot you can use lead data recipes--no special wads, etc are required, but Nice Shot will yield a 1500 psi increase in pressure per load compared to lead...something we may need to consider when low pressure is a goal.

Harry Collins
09-20-2010, 02:06 PM
Greg,

My 10 & 12 gauge loads for lead shot are only about 5500 psi so an additional 1500 psi is not a factor. Oh, I must say that the picture of your Trojan shows a very nice Parker.

Harry

E Robert Fabian
09-20-2010, 05:51 PM
Greg, if I may ask where you found the info on the pressure increase? I thinking that if it's loaded by weight instead of volume because it's lighter the added pellets increase friction, I would doubt that a equal amount of #6 NS to #6 lead can increase pressure.

Greg Baehman
09-20-2010, 06:05 PM
Greg, if I may ask where you found the info on the pressure increase? I thinking that if it's loaded by weight instead of volume because it's lighter the added pellets increase friction, I would doubt that a equal amount of #6 NS to #6 lead can increase pressure.

Here's a link. Scroll down a bit, it is hi-lited in bold type.

http://www.niceshotinc.com/

E Robert Fabian
09-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Thanks I had never seen that before on there site.

Greg Baehman
09-20-2010, 06:22 PM
Greg,

My 10 & 12 gauge loads for lead shot are only about 5500 psi so an additional 1500 psi is not a factor. Oh, I must say that the picture of your Trojan shows a very nice Parker.

Harry

Thank you for the compliment Harry. The Trojan is one of the two guns I have won for shooting just poorly enough to win a Lewis Class at the U.P. S X S Classic. Here's a pic of the other one, a 12-ga. DH 2-frame 30" damascus gun--it is also part of the reason for this thread.

Harry Collins
09-21-2010, 06:40 PM
Nice gun library Greg....Is that in the "man cave" or do the woman folk and company have access? Mine gun library is out of sight @#*&^!

Harry

Greg Baehman
09-21-2010, 09:26 PM
No man cave Harry, sorry to say. We have a ranch-style home with a walk-out lower level. The pic was taken in the family room in the lower level.

David Hamilton
10-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Perhaps NS is harder than lead and does not compress as much in the chamber thereby increasing pressure momentarily? David

Mark Ouellette
10-04-2010, 12:05 PM
David,

You are correct. The increased hardness of NiceShot compared to lead is exactly what raises the pressure by 1500 PSI. This is listed on their website.

Mark

David Hamilton
10-04-2010, 01:43 PM
That would go a long way to explain the high pressures of steel shot. David