PDA

View Full Version : 2010 Michigan Grouse Opener

David Hamming
09-18-2010, 08:47 AM
I thought I'd share my 2nd Grouse opener carrying my 1918 Parker VH.

I had Dave VandenBrand take some wood out of the butt last Winter to move the balance forward and shortened the LOP to 14 3/4". I picked up the gun at his shop, the work gave the gun a whole new "feel".
After shooting some clays over the Summer, I was really looking forward to the Grouse season. I had no idea it would go like it did.
We, (Me and the pups) didn't move many birds, but what I swung on, fell.
I shot at 5, killed 5 on 6 shots. I'm still amazed.
http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/hh269/DHamming/DSC01802.jpg

I've wanted a Parker for years, but never found the right one. (One I could afford anyway) This one is a keeper. A fun little gun.

Good luck this Fall. Be safe
Dave

Eric Eis
09-18-2010, 11:00 AM
Good for you Dave, I talked to Rich Anderson and Dave Miles (I was suppose to be hunting with them too) and they moved I think 6 grouse and 7 woodcock (which is out of season) and they came back empty so hopefully they will have better luck today. By the way what area were you hunting (general area).

David Hamming
09-18-2010, 11:22 AM
Eric,

Between work and my son's football game, I was able to get into Northern Newaygo Co. and bounce around a bit. My day was much like Dave and Rich's, we didn't move as many grouse as past openers. The talk is this year is the peak of the cycle, it might be, but my feeling is the peak won't quite as high.

Thanks,
Dave

Eric Eis
09-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Dave,

You are close Dave and Rich are hunting little south of Baldwin. I also know what you mean about trying to find the time and right now it looks even worse I really want to get out but... life really is getting in the way. :cuss: Be great to get together sometime, we have quite a few Parker boys in MI and we get together to shoot clays so you are welcome anytime you see a post about a shoot we welcome all. Eric

Mike McKinney
09-18-2010, 11:27 PM
David,
Congrats on a great, early, first day. Very nice Brit as well as the Parker. I hope this will be in the picture of the month running.
Mike

Dean Romig
09-19-2010, 06:00 AM
Great success David! A day for the journal for sure. Congratulations for "living the dream" many of us wish for.

calvin humburg
09-19-2010, 08:53 AM
That's shootin Dave! What guage is your gun.Those grouse are pretty birds maybe someday. The prairie chickens are my favorit bird out here, there native. good day ch

David Hamming
09-20-2010, 02:20 PM
That's shootin Dave! What guage is your gun.Those grouse are pretty birds maybe someday. The prairie chickens are my favorit bird out here, there native. good day ch

Calvin, it's an 0 frame 20ga.

We were able to get out and chase some grouse over the weekend, unfortunately our opening good fortune did not carry over. Grouse can be such a humbling bird. :cuss:

Dave

Dean Romig
09-20-2010, 03:04 PM
We are all humbled before the "Thunder King" most of the time.... I know I am. I have spent countless hours training many and many a ruffed grouse to be the better escape artist ;)

Dave Miles
09-20-2010, 03:44 PM
Dave, you did better than us for bring grouse to bag.
Rich and I flushed 16 grouse, 3 killed, and 35 woodcock flushed, 0 shot at, for the weekend.

David Hamming
09-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Dave, you did better than us for bring grouse to bag.
Rich and I flushed 16 grouse, 3 killed, and 35 woodcock flushed, 0 shot at, for the weekend.

That's a good weekend, Dave.
You said in your thread about having good cigars, what kind did you have?
I'm always looking for a good cigar.

Dave