PDA

View Full Version : Squirrel Hunting ?

Mike Stahle
09-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Just out of curiosity, what shot size do you Parker
Brothers normally use for hunting tree-rats?

Dave Suponski
09-16-2010, 04:05 PM
5,s or 6,s

Mike Stahle
09-16-2010, 04:55 PM

I have two boxes of #5's ready to go ;)

Mark Landskov
09-16-2010, 06:12 PM
I wish we had a 'real' squirrel to hunt up here. All we have are the noisy little pine squirrels. Spruce and Ruffed Grouse are about the only small game up here, besides rabbits. Partridge are listed in the regs, but are not indiginous(sp?) to the Arrowhead Region. I have seen a couple of woodcocks. At least I think they were! They flew straight up in the air and took off in an erratic pattern, kinda like a bumblebee!

Russ Jackson
09-16-2010, 08:09 PM
10 Ga. #6, Really does the job !:)

Dave Suponski
09-16-2010, 08:20 PM
Awesome pictures Russ! Thanks....:)

charlie cleveland
09-16-2010, 08:53 PM
those look like federal hulls.. whatwas the ingrediants in them...nice picture and they just dont get to far for them old 10 ga....charlie

Russ Jackson
09-16-2010, 09:17 PM
Hi Charlie ! The hulls are RST Best Grade #6 Shot ,and you are right ,they really don't get too far from the old 10 Ga. ! I carried that gun for Squirrel and Pheasant ,works just as good on one as it did the other ! I just recently sold the old girl and sent the new owner these pics. and wished him as much enjoyment as I had carrying her ! Russ

Richard Flanders
09-24-2010, 06:21 PM
Mark: Hibbing, eh? Some of us Alaskans are going to be chasing Ruffies and woodcock around Hibbing in a couple of weeks during the RGs national hunt. I fly into Hibbing Oct 11.

Francis Morin
09-24-2010, 07:16 PM
1920's The Grey Hound Bus Co. started there- ferrying miners on the twice a 24 hr. day shifts- Also may have been the town Sinclair Lewis had in mind for "Main Street" and "Babbitt" novels. During the dark depths of the 1930's Depression era, Hibbing was still a bit of a boom town, due to the iron ore rich areas just West of Duluth. Believe a few MLB players started there, and 1959 HHS Grad Robert Allen Zimmerman still finds his "Shelter From The Storm" up there where "The Wind Blows Heavy on the Borderline"--

As for them tree rats and the 10 bore hammer Parker- nice fotos indeed, even those shown with their nuts in their mouth. As I hunt pretty much like a sniper, I still like a scoped .22 with hollow points when the leaves are turning and falling down in October- If I were to hunt them now, with the green foilage, guess I'd take my old 20 ga. M12 and some 1 0z/ 7 & 1/2 red Winnie paper loads (left from my youth, before I went the 12 gauge route)- that way, if I flushed a grouse, I could miss him with the proper gauge and load, albiet not fired from a Paaaarkar!!- Like Mr. Spiller:bigbye:

charlie cleveland
09-29-2010, 09:32 AM
was setting around trying to figure out what gun to use for squirls this saturday ....first thought i would use the old ten gauge.. then decided i would use the 16 single barrel that i had bought just for squirls...changed my mind decided to use the old 22 with scope naw to many leaves yet.....boy am i getting frustrated.....no how a women feels in the shoe department now.......well finally decided to use the8 ga parker with short barrels since it balanes so nicely....what the heck decided to use the 8 ga loomis with 36 inch barrels 3 1/2 inch chambers after all them squirls aretough critters.....isnt it teriblethat a hunter as so many decisions to make..... charlie

Francis Morin
09-29-2010, 12:41 PM
So many choices to make. I just got back from both a WATERFOWL SEASON EARLY RECON and a "woodchoppers ball" so to speak, and took the old 20 gauge M12 I got on my 12th Birthday for some squirrels- just in case. Here in West MI the leaves are still green and thick, and a scoped .22LR is fine for about a month from now, but if your want squirrel pot pie (Yummy) or Brunswick stew, a 20 is great.

Wow- a 8 gauge cannon- as I also took the old Stihl Super 28AV and a axe and a tow strap, as the picked corn field is bordered with some dead and fallen elm trees, the hickory and white oaks are still standing, the grown is covered with nuts and cuttings- No squirrels, did dump a crow however- and yes, the geese were using the field as the farmer told me- so we shall see on Sat 9 Oct- our Zone Opener for ducks and geese-

I'd like to have it legal to use a 8 gauge double- I'll probably use the big 12 Smith 3" 32" F&F- Hevi-Shot Classic Doubles for loads- but an 8 or even a 10 bore with Nitro Proofed 30 or 32" barrels- Mama Mia- :bigbye:

charlie cleveland
09-30-2010, 09:10 AM
morning all wishall of us were sitting under a large oak tree with more squirls in it than we have ever seen...francis i bet that old lc smith with the3 in chambers and long barrels would be bad medicene on about any thing a fella pulled the trigger own...always wanted me one of those long range smiths but they have passed me by... and one of thosemodel 12 20 ga guns would be a pleasure to tote for a fella like me....theres a lot of guns out there that i would like to take with me saturday morning hunting but a man can just tote so many and that old 8 ga loomis weighs15 pounds loaded...its about a handfull....if i kill tomany squirls i may have to call on you boys to come and help tote them out.....charlie

Rich Anderson
09-30-2010, 02:20 PM
I much prefer my Kimber .22 for Tree Rats:whistle:

Francis Morin
09-30-2010, 05:09 PM
And a caisson or howitzer trailer for that 8 gauge. Yes that Smith is my version of a "Bo-Whoop" and it patterns great with any load- 2 & 3/4" Clays loads, 2 & 1/2" RST loads, both 2 & 3/4" and 3" Cabela's Classic Doubles, and older paper loads for Turkeys (where we don't have yet to use steel or no-Tox) both barrels are choked tighter than Scrooge's piggybank, and I love to nail high altitude crows or barn pigeons with it.

The 20 M12 was a present from Dad and Granddad on my 12th. B-Day- it's an older field grade 28" mod. made in 1932 with the smaller "corn-cobbed" forearm and the older style pg- which I like very much. Luckily it has std. 2 & 3/4" chambers, a close friend has a Pigeon Grade M1912 in 20 ga. made in 1918, 28" nickel steel barrel with a solid rib and the nicest grained wood I have yet seen in a small gauge M12 pumpgun- But it is full choke and has the older 2 & 1/2" chambers- so he shoots RST shells-

He and I are both of the school of thinking that says- stock fit, LOP, drop, pitch, good trigger pulls and a proper functioning safety- mechanics I guess, and comfortable barrel length and balance are what makes a certain scattergun a "keeper"- and we don't alter the chokes or chambers- Almost all my 12 gauge doubles and M&F or IM-F or F&F like the Smith and my PH Parker- as you age, your reflexes, eyesight and timing also change, I pick up birds in range further out than I did when I was 25--

What kind of handloads do you use in your eight gauge? Do you use it for turkeys too? Have a good season, and remember- a good cold dark German beer goes great with squirrel pot pie- I like red cabbage as a side dish with that- Yumm:bigbye:

charlie cleveland
09-30-2010, 06:17 PM
gonna need that trailer will be hunting under a steep hill....yes i have used the old 8ga for turkeys...its agood long range gun... i killed one turkey at 65 long steps...was using no 4 shot 49 grains blue dot powder and 2 1/2 ounce shot in winchester 3 1/4 in case...but for squirl ive loaded up a light load 1 3/4 ounce shot no 6s and 35 grains bluedot a very pleasant load to shoot.... also got a doe deer last year with the parker 8 guage using 00 buck... 24 oo buck to the load....but hope my arms hold out to hold that cannon up..may have to borrow your chain saw to cut me some supports...one thing for sure when you raise thathunk of iron up you have to be quick on the trigger cause the law of gravity prevales...... good hunting charlie

calvin humburg
10-02-2010, 02:38 PM
charlie having squirrel for supper? good thing my youngens were home or i would of had a time spelling squril:)

charlie cleveland
10-02-2010, 07:06 PM
calvin i had squirl for dinner today also baked beans and poodle sop gray.....and a sams cola to chase it down with.....was a very good hunt today...only hunted the morning just saw 5 squirls but 3 of them fell to the old 8 ga....that old cannon will bring them down....was kinda neat to roll my on shells andsee game fall to the ground...was a tough hunt i was in the woods before day break did not get light enough to see till 6 30 then did not see a squirl for over and hour....it did not take to long to figure out why the squirls were not moving....i seen 5 hawks that were in the area and O 1 big owl....the squirls did not move till the hawks had left the area.....it was about 8 15 before i saw the firt squirl and between then and 9 30i saw 4 more and a big jake turkey whichi let pass it not being in season..... also a fox and a deer but that was on the road going to woods...all in all the bunch of fellas that get together after hunting had 32 squirls in the fryiny pan.... it was a good hunt better than being at work anyday... sad thing was i was only fella hunting with a double barrel and probably only fella in stats miss.hunting with a 8 ga for squirls....dont reckon im a little dingy dingy..... hope you fellas day was as good as mine....if a fella can still make it too the woods its gotta be good....charlie