PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Annual Meeting Silent Auction

Dean Romig
04-16-2018, 06:58 PM
Dear Friends and Members of the Parker Gun Collector's Association

The 2018 PGCA Annual Meeting and Banquet will be held on Saturday night, September 22 in the Hopkins Game Farm's banquet hall. It will include, among other exciting features, the Annual PGCA Silent Auction fundraiser. Due to the support from both PGCA Members and businesses that specialize in sporting related products the Silent Auction has been extremely successful in generating much needed revenue to help defray the ever increasing costs of operating this fine organization.

The items to be donated need not be new; just something you think might be of interest to your fellow PGCA members. In the past some of the best items were handmade items from some of our talented members. Please look around at your accumulations of shooting and sporting equipment for items you thought you needed but find you can now do without and contact either Dean Romig or Larry Frey for a shipping address. The auction is a benefit to our entire membership and we thank you for your continued support.

In past years PGCA member businesses have donated terrific hunting trips to various parts of the country for pheasants, grouse, woodcock, turkeys, hogs, alligators and so on. Other businesses have contributed some of the finest clothing, shoes, luggage, cases, knives, books, subscriptions, you name it, somebody has probably contributed something like it for the Silent Auction.

And some members have contributed items from their own gun rooms and collections. In fact, this year we already have a pretty nice Parker VH for the auction.

Each and every item donated will need to be evaluated and cataloged so please get them to Larry or myself as soon as you can to be sure it gets into the Silent Auction.

Hoping to hear from all of you!!

Dean Romig
04-17-2018, 09:05 AM
TTT

George M. Purtill
04-17-2018, 09:44 AM
Thanks Dean
Do we have hotel and other logistical info posted somewhere else?

Dean Romig
04-17-2018, 10:07 AM
George - That is a question better asked of Mike Franzen as he is spearheading the Annual Meeting event for the PGCA this year.

Mike Kobos
04-25-2018, 12:52 PM
About 5 months ago there was a posting that said a block of rooms were being held for the PGCA at the Holiday Inn Express in Chestertown for $99/night.
I made my reservation in December. They are slow to send (ie never) a confirmation but if you have an IHG card you can get the confirmation online.

Mike

Robin Lewis
04-25-2018, 02:17 PM
I made my reservations (I hope) last week. It took three calls. I don't know what the problem was but nobody seemed to be able to access the block of rooms (computer hitch?). I did finally get a conf# so I guess all is well.

During the discussion I was told they had rooms available in the reserved block but something was stopping them from booking one for me. I imagine the issue is resolved by now.

Mike McKinney
04-25-2018, 09:17 PM
I made a reservation with no problem, she gave me the confirmation number. I was a little surprised that she told me there were no options for the number of nights, 4 minimum, Sept. 20-24., which is Thurs., Friday, Sat., and Sunday.

Dean Romig
04-25-2018, 09:27 PM
I never was told of a mandatory four nights for the PGC block of rooms. I booked three nights and there was no arguement or question.

Mike McKinney
04-25-2018, 09:31 PM
I ask, she said that’s the way it is. I’ll call back if others have booked less days. Thanks!

George M. Purtill
04-26-2018, 06:29 AM
Mike I just booked two days. 21 and 22

Mills Morrison
04-26-2018, 09:28 PM
Well, back to the silent auction. I am going to send in something good

Dean Romig
04-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Thanks Mills!

Dean Romig
07-30-2018, 06:46 AM
Contributions for this year’s Silent Auction have been somewhat sporadic to date. There isn’t much time left in which to donate items to this worthy cause.

Donations can be sent to either Larry Frey or myself.

Thanks to All,
Dean

Dean Romig
08-12-2018, 09:21 PM
A very respectable Parker Bros. twelve-gauge GH (serial no. 144217 ) on the 1 1/2 frame with 30" 3-iron Damascus barrels has been donated...... in pieces. I mean it was stripped down to the very last tiniest screw, and thoroughly cleaned. There is no case color remaining (but the engraving is all sharp and clean) and very little Damascus pattern remaining on the barrels. The bores have been only very lightly honed or polished with .733" and .734" bore diameters and the chokes are .039” and .039" which is F/F in anybody's book.

I had it all assembled when I discovered I forgot to install the safety jacket and toggle so that's the project for the next hour or so...

I jotted down the stock dimensions but that note is down in my gun room but I remember the LOP is 14 1/4" exactly over the original hard rubber DHBP. The DAC is 1 3/4” and DAH is 2 3/4” which are very shootable modern dimensions. This is the original stock and it has only one minor issue which can be easily remedied.

When I get it all put together properly I'll post some pictures.

This is one I'll definitely be bidding on!

EDIT - EDIT - EDIT - EDIT

This just in...

I knew I should have gone down and checked my notes on the gun -

The actual DAC is 1 3/4” and the actual DAH is 2 3/4”.

Pre-struck barrel weight is 3 lb. 14 oz.

Mills Morrison
08-13-2018, 06:10 AM
You might have some competition. Sounds interesting

Dean Romig
08-13-2018, 11:56 AM
I have edited my above post for accuracy of dims.

Dean Romig
08-14-2018, 11:06 PM
Here's the Silent Auction GH

Serial number is 144217 and its configuration is exactly what is shown in the Serialization book.

Picture number 5 clearly illustrates the minor stock issue referenced previously.
Someone had taken a coping saw to the nose of the comb for whatever reason and cut into the wood about 1/2" or so. It can easily be filled and made invisible.

And in the next to last picture you can see a very old chip in both the toe of the stock and butt plate. Pretty insignificant for a shooter.

With the forend off there is a bit of wiggle but with the forend on it is quite tight.

Mills Morrison
08-15-2018, 11:31 AM
A pretty decent looking gun. Looks a lot like my 3 frame GH 12 I bought recently

Randy G Roberts
08-15-2018, 12:26 PM
Very nice item for the silent auction, hope it raises a lot of $$$.

keavin nelson
08-17-2018, 08:07 AM
Hmmm, should be interesting!

Randy G Roberts
08-20-2018, 10:54 AM
Mine is on it's way to your house Dean. Glad we are not in a rush, USPS was kind enough to guarantee delivery by Saturday, now that's going out on a limb, not !

Dean Romig
08-20-2018, 11:23 AM
Thanks very much Randy!

Randy G Roberts
08-20-2018, 11:47 AM
Glad to help. Please do not let Mr. Franzen steal them, make him dig deep. I think he's salivating just a tad :)

Dean Romig
08-20-2018, 12:01 PM
They're safe with me... :draw:

Dean Romig
08-28-2018, 09:01 AM
More donations have come in for the upcoming Silent Auction.

Latest arrivals include a very nice book written and published by Mills Morrison recounting his hunting and fishing adventures with his wife Julia and their two boys. Great stories - some we've read in Parker Pages and some have never previously been published. A very nice read!

Dean Romig
08-28-2018, 09:09 AM
Next is a package that arrived yesterday from Jeff Kuss - Thanks very much Jeff!

The lamp is 24" tall just to give you an idea of its size.

There is also a C.M. Powers all brass cleaning rod in its original cloth bag. It has a completely functional oiler in the handle.

An assortment of Parker tools - a Parker Pocket Scale to measure trigger pull...
A Parker powder and shot measure...
A Parker tin...
A Parker loading tube...

Dean Romig
08-28-2018, 09:23 AM
Next is Randy Roberts' donation of fine cigars, a very nice leatherette SXS pocket cigar case, a book on everything you ever wanted to know about cigars, a four-page laminated pamphlet on cigar terms, identification, various qualities of cigars, etc.

Finally, a hermetically sealed cedar box of twenty-four Olivia Serie V 2014 award-winning cigars.

Thanks very much Randy!

Dean Romig
08-28-2018, 09:32 AM
We could still use more thoughtful donations in order to make this year's Silent Auction even more successful than last year's record breaker.

Donations of Silent Auction items may be sent to either myself at 78 River Street, Andover, MA 01810

Or to Larry Frey at his business address in CT
Plainville Machine & Tool Co., 65 Ronzo Road, Bristol, CT 06010

Larry Frey
08-28-2018, 09:25 PM
Our members and supporting businesses have once again been very generous with their contributions. Aside from the GH 12 gage and other items Dean has mentioned here are a couple of more items for those that attend the Annual Meeting to bid on. There are many others that we will try to post before the actual event so you can have an idea what will be available and can transfer enough money in the checking account before you get there.:) A full list of all the contributors will be listed here and in Parker Pages to give thanks to those that support our Organization.

Hand turned cigar holder and key chain knives.
Hand made wine stopper set and serving spoon.
10 gage brass shells and empty powder tin.
Assorted loading tools, Parker wall mount coffee grinder, and Parker and Smith pamphlets.
Hand carved and signed Black Duck decoy by Ellis Parker.

Mills Morrison
08-29-2018, 07:27 AM
Lots of good stuff

Larry Frey
09-13-2018, 08:02 PM
As a follow up, we now have around 40 really nice items for this years Silent Auction. This includes from our friends at RST a case of each gage shells they make that can be shipped directly to you. Morris Baker and the RST crew will be at the Vintage Cup and can bring anything you would like to pre order but I would call them soon. We also have again this year a couple of really great bird hunts that have been donated by PGCA member Boy Hayes at Little Lake Lodge and Jerry Havel at Pine Ridge Grouse Camp. There is a thread in the Off Topic section of this site where we will be accepting Proxy bids from the membership ahead of the actual auction so any of our members unable to attend this year can bid on either of these two hunts. We look forward to another great event and seeing many of our members again.

George M. Purtill
09-13-2018, 08:38 PM
Thanks for your good work Larry.

Larry Frey
09-23-2018, 07:42 PM
The dinner and program for this years Annual Meeting was wonderful. Mike Franzen and the rest of the BOD did a great job again this year. Thanks also to everyone who contributed and bid on the many great items in this years Silent Auction. Special thanks also to Margret, Kathy, and Deb for their work with the auction and registration. We will provide a complete list of contributors in the next issue of Parker Pages. This years auction total surpassed all previous years at just under $6,000.00 so again thank you to everyone who participated.

Dean Romig
09-23-2018, 07:56 PM
A job well done Larry, Deb, Margaret and Kathy!

And Thank You All who bid on the auction items.