PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Distinguished Service Award Program

Dean Romig
04-15-2018, 10:47 PM
Please make your nominations for the 2018 Distinguished Service Award soon. There are only about four months remaining to do so and before you know it the deadline is upon us - nominations have to be in by midnight on August 31 so please give it some serious consideration. There must be a few folks who you believe deserve this prestigeous award. There is no docket of names to choose from - you nominate the folks you believe have gone above and beyond in their service to the PGCA.

Simply go to the PGCA Home Page and click on "Awards and Recognitions" and within the text of the Distinguished Service Award explanation you will find a highlighted hyperlink to the form you can fill out.

The nominations for this award are accumulative over a period of three years so the number of nominations a person has received over this period are totaled and the three nominees with the highest number of nomination will be the recipients of the 2018 Distinguished Service Award. If the person you have nominated in the last two years, 2016 and 2017 have not received enough nominations, enter him or her again this year!

Remember - there are only about four months left in which to do this but it only takes about two minutes to make your nominations.

Thanks, Dean

Dean Romig
04-16-2018, 07:51 AM
Back up top...

Mills Morrison
04-16-2018, 09:37 AM
I usually nominate two people a year and think I already did mine. There are certainly some worthy recipients, so I hope members send in their nominations.

Dean Romig
04-16-2018, 09:57 AM
Thanks Mills, we do too.

As a reminder, seated officers and BOD members are ineligible for the Distinguished Service Award.

Mills Morrison
04-16-2018, 09:58 AM
As a reminder, seated officers and BOD members are ineligible for the Distinguished Service Award.

I meant to say that too.

Dean Romig
04-17-2018, 09:07 AM
TTT

Dean Romig
06-03-2018, 08:12 AM
Since I originally posted this on April 15th we have received only 2 nominations. We sure hope to receive a lot more of our fine members nominated.

There are quite a lot of members who are worthy of this award but it's up to the membership to nominate them. Thank You.

Dean Romig
06-17-2018, 08:46 AM
Two more names were submitted yesterday - Thank You very much!

Please keep them coming guys!

Dean Romig
07-30-2018, 06:40 AM
A reminder that the deadline for nominations is August 31 so that leaves only about one month in which to nominate folks you believe deserve this award.
To date we have received only five nominations.

Again, there is no docket of names to choose from. You simply nominate those people who you would like to see receive the 2018 Distinguished Service Award.

Thank You

Bill Murphy
08-14-2018, 06:32 PM
Dean, can you refresh my memory about the names I have nominated in past years with little success, as well as what I can do to have those deserving nominees considered in the future without having their names neglected from consideration unless nominated by other members. I don't choose to go to other members to nominate deserving persons and have no other way to let other members know about my choices. My nominations are usually one vote choices that are "losers" unless others recognize them, a failed situation. Let me know how to solve this situation.

Dean Romig
08-14-2018, 06:49 PM
Bill, the only "solution" to such a situation is to continue nominating those members you believe deserve recognition for what they have done for the PGCA.

It was set up so that members are nominated by other members and there is to be no interference by those in a position to 'tilt the scales' so to speak. The three Members with the most nominations are those who receive the award.
A member can nominate as many names as he wishes, just as long as he casts only one nomination per year per name.
If one or more of your favorites has achieved, through his deeds, a level of recognition then I am sure others will have noticed and will also cast a nomination for this person(s).

I can't help but think if one of your favorites hasn't received the Distinguished Service Award by now it is because others may not share your opinion or that this member has been 'inactive' or may have conducted himself in such a way that he may have lowered himself in the eyes of his peers.

I wish I could be of more help but it's not up to me who receives these Distinguished Service Awards.

Best Regards,
Dean

Distinguished Service Award: The purpose of the PGCA Distinguished Service Award Pin program is to adopt a way to recognize a member's personal contributions of spirit, time, dedication and reliability unselfishly donated for the good of the organization. These members will be recognized before their peers at an official PGCA function, primarily the PGCA Annual Meeting and Banquet.

The members recognized will have gone 'above and beyond ' the ordinary and will have distanced themselves by the merit of their deeds. They will have furthered the mission of the PGCA and will have promoted good will and fellowship among members and visitors at activities including the Forum, PGCA sanctioned events, PGCA displays, and PGCA 'headquarters' at shows and events. They will have given freely of their time in doing these deeds and will have presented a friendly face of the PGCA.

The award for each recipient will be a lapel pin replicating the distinct outline and engraving of the fore end tip of a high grade Parker gun. The recipient will also receive an award letter that is suitable for framing.

Members of the PGCA who have received the Distinguished Service Award Pin have their names placed on an Distinguished Service Honor Roll to provide a permanent record of their extraordinary service to the Parker Gun Collectors Association.

If you would like to nominate a fellow PGCA member to be considered for the Distinguished Service Award fill out a nomination form and submit it to the PGCA.

Nominations are accumulated for a rolling three-year period. After a name has been in the nominations file for three consecutive years it will drop off leaving only current (within a calendar three years) entries for that nominee.

Randy G Roberts
08-14-2018, 08:19 PM
I will send mine in sometime tomorrow I hope. If it gets away from me someone please remind me.

Dean Romig
08-14-2018, 08:33 PM
Randy, you can nominate any number of members you want to.

Randy G Roberts
08-15-2018, 03:17 PM
Mine has been submitted ….

Dean Romig
08-15-2018, 03:53 PM
Thank you Randy.

And just to reiterate, you’re not limited to the number of members you nominate in a year.

Dean Romig
08-31-2018, 10:08 PM
Participation in this worthy program is rather disappointing this year.

I wonder if folks aren’t sure how to nominate someone they believe is worthy of this award. If you are not sure how to make your nominations please shoot me a PM.
We have about two weeks in which to end nominations and tabulate the 2018 awardees of the Distinguished Service Award.

Best Regards,

.Dean, Robin, and Chris

Dean Romig
09-04-2018, 06:56 AM
We have received no new nominations sincemy last post requesting some four days ago. Time is quickly running out.

Dean Romig
09-04-2018, 08:03 AM
Daryl Corona has just made a nomination.

Thanks Daryl - that’s a good start.

Bill Murphy
09-04-2018, 06:27 PM
Should members contact other members to suggest they nominate someone the first member has nominated? I have nominated three people in the past, but those guys are dead in the water now. I can't remember who they were, but Daniel Phillip Cote may have been one, Ed Muderlak may have been another, and Dean may be able to tell me who the third was. Ed may be exempt from consideration because he was a curmudgeon, the same reason I will never make it. Forrest Marshall may have been the third. If these three guys haven't been elected, something is wrong with the system. Who are the elected members so far? I guess there is a place to look them up, but it isn't on this thread.

Dean Romig
09-04-2018, 08:08 PM
Bill, and anyone else who has an interest in who are past recipients of the Distinguished Service Award -

Go to the Home Page and on the left column, click on Awards & Recognitions.

About the fourth paragraph under the Distinguished Service Award you will see this....

Members of the PGCA who have received the Distinguished Service Award Pin have their names placed on an Distinguished Service Honor Roll to provide a permanent record of their extraordinary service to the Parker Gun Collectors Association.

when you click on Distinguished Service Honor Roll you will see all recipients of the DSA since its beginning in 2009.

The first year we had about ten people who received the award simply because some sort of recognition for these folks was long overdue.

Since that first year the PGCA awards the two nominees with the most nominations. You will see some years with three recipients.... This is because there was a tie for first of second position.

We use a well kept Excel spreadsheet for all of our tabulations in the selection of recipients. Remember, the DSA Committee are nothing more than record keepers and have nothing whatever to do with who is selected... the PGCA Members do the selecting by casting their nominations.

And to further answer your question Bill, I guess if some member thought strongly that other members should cast nominations for 'your guy' you could certainly ask some others to cast their nominations for him or her.
I'm not one for 'loading the ballot boxes' but if folks think that's the way to get your guy recognized - hey, it's your program - we just count the nominations.

Best, Dean

Randy G Roberts
09-04-2018, 08:52 PM
Thanks Daryl 👍

Daryl Corona has just made a nomination.

Thanks Daryl - that’s a good start.

Dean Romig
09-05-2018, 08:00 PM
The deadline for nominations of PGCA Members for the 2018 Distinguished Service Award has been extended to midnight September 14, 2018 in order to allow for late nominations.

Thanks very much for your continued support of this very worthy program.

Brian Dudley
09-06-2018, 07:50 AM
There are two ways to go about this Bill. You either campeign for your choices to try and get others to vote. OR, you cast your vote and silently hope that others feel the same way as you do and do the same thing.

Dean, if I am not mistaken, the award can only be received once by someone. Right? So, maybe publishing a cumulative list of who has already received the award will prevent people from casting names that are no longer available.

Dean Romig
09-06-2018, 08:06 AM
Thanks Brian

Yes, the way the program is set up a member can only receive the award once... perhaps we will need to tweak the program a bit in the future, but that’s the way it is now.

Additionally, there is a Distinguished Service “Honor Roll” of awardees for each year beginning in 2009, that can be viewed by clicking on “Awards & Recognitions” from the Home page.

Randy G Roberts
09-06-2018, 08:08 AM
Wish I would have known that.

Brian Dudley
09-06-2018, 09:12 AM
Thanks Dean. As usual, the information is out there, just was not aware where to look. But maybe this will point people in that direction. If at least to prevent names from being cast in waste.

Mills Morrison
09-06-2018, 11:31 AM
Here is the list of past inductees

- Inducted 2009 -

Oscar Gaddy

Robert E. Petersen

Austin Hogan

Ron Kirby

Kevin McCormack

Bill Mullins

Dave Noreen

Charlie Price

Greg Schroeder

Fred Stump

- Inducted 2010 -

Jim Hall

Dave Suponski

- Inducted 2011 -

John Dunkle

Charles A. Herzog Sr.

Allan H. Swanson

- Inducted 2012 -

Mark Conrad

Art Wheaton

- Inducted 2013 -

John Davis

Ed Morgan

- Inducted 2014 -

Debbie Frey

Chuck Bishop

- Inducted 2015 - 16

Mary Bowes

Carl Brandt

Mark Ouellette

- Inducted 2017

Larry Frey

Jeff Kuss

Robin Lewis

Dean Romig
09-06-2018, 11:02 PM
We've had a few more nominations so thanks for your efforts -

We're starting to get some traction so please keep them coming guys! :clap:

Bill Murphy
09-08-2018, 07:48 AM
My nominations were Forrest Marshall, Ed Muderlak, and Daniel Cote. They are extremely deserving, have dropped off my list. I would appreciate members considering these three who did so much for the PGCA, in different but significant ways. I will renominate them this year and hope for the best.

Dean Romig
09-14-2018, 07:48 AM
Nominations for the 2018 Distinguished Service Award will be accepted until midnight tonight. Any nominations received after that hour will be counted toward the 2019 Award.