PDA

View Full Version : Chukar Challenge...new thrill

Tom Jay
04-07-2018, 06:51 PM
Has anybody ever participated in a Chukar Challenge? I did today for the first time and what a blast. For those not familiar, this is a shooter and dog event...a team competition of a different sort. At this event 3 chukars were placed in an open field with some cover and you have 15 minutes (and you’re on the clock for fastest completion time) for your dog to find, point, you flush, you shoot, you presumably hit the bird (6 shell limit per run) and your dog retrieves to hand the 3 chukars. Your best score from 4 qualifying rounds per shooter/dog team may put you in the top 10 championship round tomorrow. Don’t think my Llewellin setter Max and I scored high enough in any of the 4 rounds to qualify for the championship, but I’m hooked to do another. Mix of dogs was interesting. While I train with the local NAVHDA chapter where GSP’s are the predominant dog, Lewellin setters dominated here. Of the 30-ish dogs Lew’s were at least half and the others were GSP’s, Brittany’s, Labs and Pointers. While this challenge was 1 adult dog/1 shooter some events also have a 1 dog/2 shooter class. They even have a puppy class. I also have no idea to the points scoring system but I guess they have one. I’ll find my scores later online. Was only one with a sxs, a 16 gauge Parker Repro with 1oz #6’s. It would be neat to see a Parker only Chukar Challenge or a Parker vs. LC Smith Chukar Challenge or something else.

Daryl Corona
04-07-2018, 08:04 PM
Been doing it for about 12 years and do very well with my Labs against the pointing breeds. It's really a team effort between you and your dog. First barrel kills are a must. There's one every year outside of York, PA. in March and you are allowed 15 min., 7 shells and 5 birds. You're racing against the clock, as every second under 15 mins counts towards your score. 5 birds with 5 shots and 5 good finds and retrieves and you got a good score. You also get points for every shell not used. I have been fortunate with my Labs to score in the top 3 places the last 6 or so years You should plan on coming next year Tom. If you are interested let me know and I will get you an invite.

BTW- There are about 40-50 entries and I'm the only one shooting a SxS. When I run my dog Parker- it's a Parker. When I run my other lab Fox I shoot a Fox.

Jeff Kuss
04-07-2018, 08:38 PM
My buddy and I competed in a similar competition with pheasants for several years.
It is a blast.

Tom Jay
04-07-2018, 08:55 PM
Daryl, please put me on the invite list. Thanks.

Daryl Corona
04-07-2018, 09:06 PM
Will do.

Rich Anderson
04-08-2018, 10:40 AM
When I run my dog Parker- it's a Parker. When I run my other lab Fox I shoot a Fox.
So if I entered one of these with my GSP I should use a Merkel???
:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Daryl Corona
04-08-2018, 10:20 PM
So if I entered one of these with my GSP I should use a Merkel???
:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Judging by some of the GSP's run in this event you'd be better off with a panzerwagen to run them down.:rotf::nono:

Bruce Day
04-09-2018, 09:24 AM
I don’t know how you can really get into chukkar much in 15 minutes. They are on ridges and high rocky slopes and it will take you that long just to climb to the ridgeline. Then when the covey flushes they sail off into the valley and you climb down and start over again. Chukkar hunting takes fitness , stamina and lots of walking. Where are you going for it, Oregon, Idaho, Washington, Cal?

I hunted them in northeast Cal with a German shorthair and she and I were pretty much done after a few hours of hard climbing and I was only in my 20’s at the time .

Rich Anderson
04-09-2018, 10:24 AM
Bruce I would think they are referring to planted birds in a controlled environment up to a point.

William Davis
04-10-2018, 03:50 PM
Boykin club runs this often. They call it a Roustabout. Key with a Spaniel is steady to flush and shot, if he chases the bird it complicates your 2nd shot if missed on the first one. Either too close to the dog to shoot if a low flyer or makes the bird fly further on out of range 2nd shots. It’s amazing how good some shooter dog teams are.

Lot of fun.

William

Harold Lee Pickens
04-10-2018, 04:12 PM
Daryl has good, well trained dogs, and is a very good shot--I would think he would do quite well. He generally makes the shooting team for Parker, or Fox at the SXS events. Would like to try that one day.

Daryl Corona
04-10-2018, 04:46 PM
Thank you Harold. Yes Bill it is truly a team effort. It 's really rewarding when you and your dogs are hitting on all eight cylinders. They seem to know exactly how to handle each bird and by watching their body language I'm ready for the shot. We don't do this once or twice a year. Their on birds at least once, sometimes more, a week. The old saying is it takes birds to make a bird dog.

I know all you bird dog guys know the great feeling when your dog does a great job in the field.