PDA

View Full Version : syracuse barrels

Eric Grims
09-06-2010, 04:23 PM
In 1903 my great grandmother bought my grandfather a new syracuse 12 ga. with a new twist barrel. $30 at the time - a lot of money for coal miners but I guess he put some game on the table. After WWII my father shot 3 dram loads through it then put it away. I have it and now discovered some small dings in the barrel that show through to the inside and given the twist construction won't shoot the gun. It does really come up nice and I would like to shoot it sooooo... do you think I might have half a chance of finding a set of barrels? Any direction one could steer me? I have no books and don't know if they made a fluid steel barrel or not.

Bruce Day
09-06-2010, 07:56 PM
Why wouldn't you have the dents taken out and shoot the gun? Why would you look for fluid steel barrels when twist barrels are much prettier?

If your father shot 3 DRE loads with it, why wouldn't you also?

Eric Grims
09-07-2010, 04:17 PM
That's an option now that you mention it and I have yet to have a smith look at it. I am no expert but my understanding is that when twist barrels start to oxidize that is when the mental could begin to separate from the flux which is essentially a porcelain and the barrel can blow. Thinking the dings could also mess with the integrity I opt for caution. That said I would very much like to shoot it as is if the repair is doable and she checks out. And you are right - the twist is very nice to the eye. When I got it I put 3 dram loads in it and laid it on a pile of blankets and pulled the triggers with a string and all was well.

Bruce Day
09-07-2010, 06:02 PM
[QUOTE=Eric Grims;23755]....... but my understanding is that when twist barrels start to oxidize that is when the mental could begin to separate from the flux which is essentially a porcelain and the barrel can blow......QUOTE]

First, the steel and iron ribbons are not soldered together. They are hammer forged. There is no flux, just metal heated red hot and forged together. And when gun metal parts, such as barrel ribs, are soldered to the barrels, its a silver solder. Porcelain has nothing to do with guns, porcelain is a hydrous aluminum silicate clay mineral ( kaolin) which has no tensile strength and is not used in guns.

The exterior barrel finish on composite barrels, such as twist, is differential oxidation that has been initially stabilized. As the barrels age, the external oxidation can increase such that the light steel ribbons and the dark iron ribbons become indistinguishable, and the barrels need refinishing. Brad Bachelder in Grand Rapids and Dale Edmonds in Kansas City do a healthy business in refinishing composite barrels, and take dents out as part of the refinishing. Their work has been shown in photos on this forum many , many times.

I don't know much about Syracuse twist barrels, but twist barrels were made in England and Belgium and sold to the trade. These were high quality and its probable Parker and Syracuse bought their barrels from the same source. Many, many Parker twist barreled guns have been refinished, de-dented, and are in frequent use. From what I've seen, and I've seen dozens of them, they are no more subject to cracks at dents than are fluid steel barrels. And then I've seen cracks welded and shot.

Perhaps the person who told you about porcelain and flux in hammer forged composite barrels had his mental separate.

Eric Grims
09-07-2010, 06:06 PM
You set me straight. Thanks. The more I think of this the more I see a project shaping up.

Norm Growden
09-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Eric:

If the barrels are OKed, it'll be much cheaper (and truer to your g-grandfather's memory) to have the twist barrels cleaned up than to purchase, refit, and refinish a set of fluid steel tubes. It's great that you have your forefather's gun.

E Robert Fabian
09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Eric why don't you post your area and someone may be able to recommend a good gunsmith in your location. Best of luck Bob

Eric Grims
09-08-2010, 03:52 PM
I like in northern Vermont and get around the whole state.

Dave Suponski
09-08-2010, 09:33 PM
We have some great PGCA members in New Hampshire. I'm sure one of them guy's knows of a good smith in the "Granite State"....:)

Now that I think of it. Where are ya in VT? My brother and his family are in South Newfane...I know the state quite well and I love it.

Eric Grims
09-09-2010, 06:37 PM
live in Derby VT at the end of I 91 next to the border. Duck hunt the Magog Basin and shoot sporting clays in East Burke,VT.
I have had some minor work done on a Model 42 at NE Custom guns in Lebanon NH and was going to check with them. Also hear of a good man on SxS in Woodstock that I can track down.

Dave Suponski
09-09-2010, 08:11 PM
Eric,That's real nice country up there. I duck hunted on Menfremagog(sic) and bird hunted around Island Pond for a few years.