PDA

View Full Version : Grouse Ridge Setters?

Jon Sheets
03-11-2018, 09:16 AM
Anyone know anything regarding recent activity at Grouse Ridge Setters, Oxford, N. Y.?

Attempts to contact them over the last 6 months have all failed. Rumors include they closed kennel operations and moved to Florida.

Any information would be appreciated.

JS

Kevin McCormack
03-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Don't know and haven't heard anything of that nature, but since I've been out of the Setter loop since my great GRK Setter "Smoke" departed the planet, I couldn't tell you. A close friend of mine and I hunt public land literally over the hill from there and he goes up there frequently for real estate activities. I'll ask him to check next time he's up in Oxford.

Jeff Davis
03-11-2018, 08:03 PM
I picked up a 2 year old started dog from him in September 2016. At that time they were selling off pretty most of their dogs and wrapping the operations up. He said possibly he might have an occasional litter, but pretty much he was done.

Stephen Hodges
03-11-2018, 08:07 PM
Good luck.

John Dallas
03-11-2018, 08:52 PM
A friend of mine who has had two Grouse Ridge dogs, called them to get their response. The owner is dialing back operations, but will still have a few litters in the next several years before he retires. BTW, my friend's dogs are outstanding

Jon Sheets
03-12-2018, 06:27 AM
I picked up a 2 year old started dog from him in September 2016. At that time they were selling off pretty most of their dogs and wrapping the operations up. He said possibly he might have an occasional litter, but pretty much he was done.

That's what I had heard too.

Jon Sheets
03-12-2018, 06:29 AM
I would recommend the breeder of my two Llewellin Setters, Jornada Setters.
https://www.facebook.com/Jornada-Setters-117403044939927/

I'm not looking for a breeder. I'm looking for information on Grouse Ridge, since they haven't returned any attempts at contact.

Jon Sheets
03-12-2018, 06:33 AM
A friend of mine who has had two Grouse Ridge dogs, called them to get their response. The owner is dialing back operations, but will still have a few litters in the next several years before he retires. BTW, my friend's dogs are outstanding

I don't doubt they are outstanding. I now have two dogs in the family with primarily Grouse Ridge blood, thus the interest.

Stephen Hodges
03-12-2018, 08:00 AM
Good luck

Jeff Davis
03-12-2018, 08:46 AM
Maybe try long gone setters. I don’t
Know that much about them, but I think they have some common blood with grouse ridge and seem to breed to the same type.

Jon Sheets
03-12-2018, 09:19 AM
Indeed. There is some Long Gone blood in both my dogs.

allen newell
03-13-2018, 09:03 AM
Jon, not sure but if you are looking for a setter pup, I'd highly recommend contacting Alene Levasseur in Franklin, Ct. from whom I bought my setter pup Sophie.. Alene guides at Markover, a preserve in Danielson, Ct. Great gal and excellent breeder of setters. Her pups have Grouse Ridge blood in them. Excellent hunters, very biddable, loving dogs. Sophie was easy to train, and as an added bonus, she retrieves to hand without any training/forcing from me. She's steady to flush and we've taken well over 200 birds over her since going into the field (Quail, pheasant, and native grouse).

I can't seem to find Alene's phone number, but her address is 483 Lebanon Rd, Franklin, Ct. 06254.

Jon Sheets
03-13-2018, 12:45 PM
Jon, not sure but if you are looking for a setter pup, I'd highly recommend contacting Alene Levasseur in Franklin, Ct. from whom I bought my setter pup Sophie.. Alene guides at Markover, a preserve in Danielson, Ct. Great gal and excellent breeder of setters. Her pups have Grouse Ridge blood in them. Excellent hunters, very biddable, loving dogs. Sophie was easy to train, and as an added bonus, she retrieves to hand without any training/forcing from me. She's steady to flush and we've taken well over 200 birds over her since going into the field (Quail, pheasant, and native grouse).

I can't seem to find Alene's phone number, but her address is 483 Lebanon Rd, Franklin, Ct. 06254.

She sounds great. No, I'm not looking for a pup. My original post was to try to find information on Grouse Ridge Kennels. One of my interests in ES's is studying their lineage, bloodlines and the kennels involved. In that respect, Grouse Ridge has become an enigma. Once very prominent, they seem to have dropped off the face of the earth. While their website is still up, they have not replied to any form of contact for the last 6 months.

That fact alone piques my interest. What happened? How could a well-respected kennel, that by all accounts produced good/great dogs, simply vanish without anyone knowing anything about it?

allen newell
03-13-2018, 01:24 PM
I recently noticed that as i get older, my interests have changed. I suspect the folks at Grouse Ridge are getting along in years, have decided to retire and may not have any family left who might want to run the operation.

Jeff Davis
03-13-2018, 06:14 PM
my understanding was Pete Flanagan had some health problems that he’s since recovered from, but that could be part of it. Another odd thing was his wife, who my understandings was, that she at one time was quite involved with the kennel developed a severe dog allergy late in life, and could no longer tolerate any contact with the dogs. His son was there when I was there picking up my Monty, and seemed quite involved, but he may have been moving.

This is all conjecture on my part , as I only purchased the one dog from them and did not have a long relationship with them.

John Dallas
03-15-2018, 08:19 AM
Pete Flanagan at GRK can be contacted at 607-334-4920.