PDA

View Full Version : Shootin' crows 1890's style

Pete Lester
09-05-2010, 01:22 PM
Scott Kittredge and I downed 38 crows between us this morning shooting our NH 10 bores. I shot a little better than Scott today (It doesn't happen often enough that I can't not mention it :) ) but the PGCA is going to have to come up with a new pin for Scott, forget the Doubles Club, he needs a 2 for 1 club pin. Yup 1 shot, 2 dead crows, I was there, it happened. One flew behind the intended at just the right time. Yesterday he killed a crow but had to wait for a hawk to let go of it. Been an interesting season thus far.

Harry Collins
09-09-2010, 01:01 PM
Pete,

I think it is called a "Scotch Double" when you kill two for one shot. I have done it twice on dove. Once with the 28 gauge and again with the hammered 20 gauge. Not often the stars align for that occurance.

Harry

John Dallas
09-09-2010, 05:32 PM
A friend of mine killed 5 dove with one shot in Argentina. Was shooting a 20 ga. A5 Browning.

Francis Morin
09-10-2010, 10:04 AM
My second favorite non-game bird awing, right after the feral (barn) pigeon.
A skeet shooting pal told me about the "Dutch Double" jinx- now I know what to call a lucky "two-fer" shot awing- a Scotch Double-- Never have done this on crows or pigeons, but about 4 years ago in Mid-Oct hunting the river that borders my acreage, a small group of Canadas came in quietly, flaps down, I shot ahead of the neck of a middle flock bird, and it dropped dead, and his "wing-man" also dropped on the water, but not quite dead.

My fellow waterfowlers know that any duck or goose crippled on water is very hard to finish off, as most of the critical vital kill zone body parts are covered, often by the wings- only a close range head shot will work. Too bad about steel- it's illegal to use a 7 & 1/2 shot Trap load for a cripple finisher-

My Lab got the dead bird, I couldn't shoot the cripple with him in the water, but downstream about 1/2 mile (on the State Land sector) there is a huge deadfall- so later we went down the two-track in the Gator to that sector- there was a dead Canada wedged in the fallen branches and my Lab brought him back. Later dressing for the table and amateur autopsy showed the first bird had 6 No. 2 steel pellets in the neck- instant death- the other bird had 4 pellets under the main wing joint, 2 penetrated the breast meat vis a vis the purple flesh and dark blood path-

Estimated range- 16 yards- shotgun was my 3" Mag M12 with 3" Federal steel No 2 loads- My only "Scotch Double" If I ever do this again on either ducks or geese, I'll buy a fifth of Johnny Walker and toast the birds and the Gods of fate and fortune.:bigbye:

Richard Flanders
09-10-2010, 08:51 PM
I let loose on a passing group of widgeons a number of yrs back with my trusty Ithaca mod 37 and downed 5 ducks with 3 shots. My companions thought I was some sort of a 'ringer' when it came to shooting and had high hopes for our combined daily bag, as that was the first time we hunted ducks together. Needless to say, they've figured out differently over our ensuing years of hunting together.

Mike Wilkerson
09-14-2010, 11:17 PM
Well it wasn't a bird or with a Parker but I shot two squirrels with one shot. I was using a hammer LC Smith in 12 ga. I can remember that shot 30 years ago better than I can last week.;-))

Mike