PDA

View Full Version : Magnum vs regular shot

Pat Dugan
09-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I have always known that Magnum shot weighed somewhat less than regular lead shot based on volume. I did not know that on a 12 ga shot bar from Mec marked 1 1/8 oz that all it drops is 1 oz of magnum 7 1/2. On a 28 gauge bar marked 3/4 oz it drops .7 of an oz of 9. I shoot the reloads only on skeet and trap. Do those of you that reload for skeet and trap, mill out the bar to drop the correct amount or do you just overlook this? If you want the volume of 1 1/8 due you use a 1 1/4 wad.? I find that the Winchester AA 12 gauge hulls don't always close correctly, but that the Remington Gold close just fine.

PDD

John Dallas
09-02-2010, 11:20 PM
Magnum shot has a higher degree of antimony (a hardner) and reduces the fliers associated with soft shot. I am surprised that the weight difference is that great. However, there should be the same number of pellets in either load, assuming pellet configuration is the same (ie, same diameter)

I would assume there's no need to increase the number of pellets by making the charge bar bigger.

Chuck Bishop
09-03-2010, 06:09 AM
Get yourself the adjustable charge bar and powder baffel. These along with a good scale are all you need. You can fine tune for any shot or powder drop. I've had one for years on a Mec 9000H and wouldn't do with out it.

http://www.multiscalecharge.com/

Paul Harm
10-06-2010, 01:34 PM
I agree with Chuck about the adjustable bar. I have three of them for my presses. The powder baffel never seemed to make a difference so I don't use them - just keep the bottle at least half full. Paul

Dave Suponski
10-06-2010, 03:59 PM
Pat,It has been my experience with Mec charge bars that they throw light both for powder and shot. I may not be the type of shot but the bar itself.