PDA

View Full Version : Factory restoration

Eric Grims
09-02-2010, 01:21 PM
I am about to come into possession of a Vh that has been labeled as factory restored. No documents but it sure matches up to the finishes of mine and my friends other untouched Parkers. Is there a way to tell if this is truely a factory job? Would there be a stamp? Would a $40 authentication tell me if so? I just thought it would be nice to know. Thank you.

Larry Frey
09-02-2010, 01:41 PM
Eric,
Welcome to the PGCA website. Not sure if a letter would tell you about a refinishing job but if you could post some clear close-up pic's of your gun some here will give you there opinion.

Eric Grims
09-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Thanks will do once I get set up. I noticed that
A large batch of serial numbers were missing from the work tag list and this gun was one of the missing.

Bill Murphy
09-02-2010, 02:53 PM
What is your serial number? The "work tag list" is not the list that includes the serial numbers of the guns available for research.

Dean Romig
09-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Eric, if it was "restored" by Remington it should have date code stamps on the barrel flats. Please show pictures of the barrel flats as well.

Eric Grims
09-08-2010, 05:35 AM
I now have the gun and it is sweet. There are no Remington Factory date stamp marks. Can only guess who did it. Serial # 172157. The CC is a rich muddy blackish blue similar to my Trojan. Gun clearly has not been fired since returned from restoration. It came well coated in what appears to be gun grease. It's a very clean "O" frame. Off on a business trip and hope ti have pictures up this weekend. Thanks

Eric Grims
09-09-2010, 03:39 PM
As per my other thread with same title here are some pictures of the gun. With no papers and no stamp marks I have no idea who did the restoration. As stated before the gun has not been fired and some of the smudges in the pix is grease that the gun was packed in. What do folks think as to who did the restoration? Thanks for you comments - always helpful!

Eric Grims
09-09-2010, 03:51 PM
More pix:

Dave Suponski
09-09-2010, 05:00 PM
The case colors look very much like the"Ohio Case Color Co. to me.

Bruce Day
09-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Its a factory, but not the Parker factory. I agree with Dave Suponski. It has the appearance of an Ohio Case Color Company job to me. They did lots of re case color jobs on Parkers and were known for heavier, darker, almost a layered finish.

Original 1917 VH and Parker case colors:

Dean Romig
09-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Wow, 2lb. 15oz. - does anyone know of a lighter set of unstruck weight barrels?

charlie cleveland
09-11-2010, 11:04 PM
dean i have a gh grade 20 ga i got from russ that have 2 pound 8 ounce unstruck barrel weight...some one else told me they had one with the same weight as mine but forgot who it was...makes you wonder what was the lighest set of gun barrels that parker brothers made....charlie

Dean Romig
09-12-2010, 06:30 AM
Charlie, that is extremely light for a twenty gauge, what is the length of those barrels?
I know we all discussed this topic of barrel weights only a year or two ago but it still intrigues me.

charlie cleveland
09-12-2010, 10:06 AM
dean the barrels are 26 inches... they are uncut... this barrel weight is very interesting.....sure would like to know what the lighest and heavest barrel weights were in the parkers.... charlie