PDA

View Full Version : New guy...help!!!

tomjohnson
09-02-2010, 08:38 AM
Just a note to say Hi and see if anyone has a lead on someplace to get 10 ga blackpowder shells for my G. I'm in the Las Vegas area.

Got my Parker from my Grandad. He got it used in a raffle in 1917. Been hanging on the wall for about 40 years, figured it's time to give her some excercise. I really enjoy the web site.

Russ Jackson
09-02-2010, 09:46 AM
Welcome aboard Tom !! I am sure some one will be able to help you with Black Powder shells for your Parker ,but most of us shoot , Low Pressure Vintager loads from Polywad, ,or RST LTD .Both manufactures produce wonderful ammunition and it really doesn't break the bank purchasing them ,Your location will make shipping a little more expensive than us guys in the East ,but well worth it to get to use our old Parkers again ! Also it is always recommended to have these old guns checked out by a competent gun smith before shooting them ! We would all enjoy pictures ,These guns are always extra special when they have been passed along through the family ! Russ

Dean Romig
09-02-2010, 11:07 AM
Hi Tom - try William Larkin Moore in Scottsdale, AZ 480-951-8913.

I have purchased 2 1/2" low pressure loads from them in the past.

Dave Suponski
09-02-2010, 11:37 AM
Tom, Please have the gun inspected by a Parker knowledgeable gunsmith before putting any shells through it. Finger's don't grow back...

tomjohnson
09-03-2010, 12:37 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I take the safety advice to heart, as long ago some friends didn't and they're now missing body parts !! I've been searching for about 3 years for a gunsmith in the Vegas area that I felt comfortable taking their advice as to shootability
and I've come up disapointed. I've contacted 11 shops and 3 said it was "probably ok" after a short cursory look at the counter, 7 wouldn't even look at it, pretty much citing "liability issues", and the last one just today said and I quote "Anyone who shoots ANY old gun is an idiot !!". (But he then offered to trade me an old Russian AK and a new Ruger .44 mag. Go figure). I've been out of shooting for about 20 years, but I don't believe that the sport has gone this far down hill. If anyone knows of a REPUTABLE smith ANYWHERE, please give a yell. Again, thanks for the replies and thanks to the PGCA for a putting up a good site. Tom Johnson ph:702-379-8981

Russ Jackson
09-03-2010, 07:26 AM
Good Morning Tom ,I have recently had some Damascus barrel work done by Bachelders ,in Grand Rapids Mich . They did very nice work ,contacted me more than once to discuss the work to be done ,price was fair and turn around time was exceptional ! Give Brad a call at 616-459 3636 , I feel very confident he will be able to give your gun a good professional exam and get it back to you without any problems ! Russ

David Hamilton
09-03-2010, 08:39 PM
Tom, If your gun is safe to shoot black powder then you can also shoot low pressure nitro loads. You need to know the length of your chambers. That will help you decide which shells you can use, or if you should load your own. There is a vast of information available here in this forum on this subject. You have opened a door and I hope you will come in.
David