PDA

View Full Version : need help on 10ga parker

garland sears
09-01-2010, 05:54 PM
i have acquired a parker 10ga sxs #31846 .It,s in nice mechanical shape , The wood has no crack ,original pad,32 in. bbls. It is 6 frame with full coverage engraving. now for bad news . Somebody reblued it and sleeved it to 12 ga.wherecan i go for refurbish or is it not repairable. Any help will be appreciated

E Robert Fabian
09-01-2010, 06:32 PM
Garland can you post some pictures, The six frame is uncommon for the ten.

D6 T pistol grip 10 ga 32" Looks like a A grade

George Lander
09-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Hello Garland and Welcome to the PGCA Forum: Please tell us where you live and one of us here can probably recommend someone in your area that can restore your Parker. From the serial number that you providedyour gun is listed in "THE BOOK" as a D6 or A Grade Parker with Damascus barrels built in 1883, a toplever hammer gun, 10 gauge with 32 inch barrels & pistolgrip stock.

If all of this is correct you ave an extremely rare and valuable Parker that is well worth the cost or restoration. Any restoration of this gun should only be attempted by an expert in Parker restorations. You will, undoubtedly, get many posts here and recommendations. If you can make it to Easton Maryland, The Vintagers, Pintail Point toward the end of this month there will be Parker experts there who can furthur advise you. My advice is to go cautiously with this one. YOU DEFINITELY NEED TO ORDER A PGCA LETTER ON YOUR GUN.

Best Regards, George

Gary Carmichael Sr
09-01-2010, 11:31 PM
Garland, George is right on with his recommendation for a PGCA letter,then you may be pleasantly surprised with the info you get.

Dave Suponski
09-02-2010, 06:52 AM
Garland, How about some picture's?

garland sears
09-02-2010, 10:23 AM
I don't know how to post pictures so if someone could give me an email I will send 4 pictures and you can post them.

garland sears
09-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the info on my gun .It is a #4 frame not a #6.I don,t know how to post pictures so any help is appriciated.I,m in el Reno ok. The gun is in great shape except for reblue.Thanks for the help. Garland Sears

Bill Murphy
09-02-2010, 12:54 PM
How about one of you fellows with talent volunteering to post some of these emailed pictures?

Richard Flanders
09-02-2010, 04:58 PM
I can do it Garland.

richardflanders@compuserve.com

Richard Flanders
09-02-2010, 07:30 PM
Garlands pics. Looks like quite the gun.

E Robert Fabian
09-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Garland, great looking gun, hope you able to get back in condition. A graded top lever hammer gun is on my search list.

Dean Romig
09-02-2010, 09:50 PM
That is a wonderful Parker Garland! You're very lucky to have found that one. It displays all of the features of the very highest grade of Parker Bros. guns of that era. It really should be examined by an expert Parker hammergun collector to determine its current condition.

Austin W Hogan
09-03-2010, 09:24 AM
This was the highest numbered gun of a series of Dam 6 ,10ga 32 inch barreled guns. 31839 - 31846 were consecutively numbered, 31812 and 31127 were apparently in the shop at the same time. Three have been previously found, and engraving details, frame and hammer sculpture were shown in the lock and hammer engraving article in PP. All were shipped to the same distributor.
The three shown exhibit perhaps the best Parker engraving of all time.

Best, Austin

Dean Romig
09-03-2010, 11:04 AM
Austin, is there any information available that would indicate this consecutive group of dam 6 Parkers were intended for a major show?

garland sears
09-24-2010, 04:19 PM
Thanks for posting the pictures. I recieved the letter on it . The gun was purchased by J A R Elliott who was on of the first inductees in the ATA Hall of Fame. He is said to be one of the greatest pigeon shooters of all time.

garland sears
09-24-2010, 05:03 PM
This gun was 1 of 8 identical guns shipped to E.C.Meachun Arms in St Louis Mo. on 8/13/1883.I have contacted the ATA Hall OF Fame to see if have any photos of Elliot with this Parker. Sorry for the delay in replying but have been out of town.Thanks for the help. Garland

Brian Dudley
01-31-2019, 10:42 AM
This was the highest numbered gun of a series of Dam 6 ,10ga 32 inch barreled guns. 31839 - 31846 were consecutively numbered, 31812 and 31127 were apparently in the shop at the same time. Three have been previously found, and engraving details, frame and hammer sculpture were shown in the lock and hammer engraving article in PP. All were shipped to the same distributor.
The three shown exhibit perhaps the best Parker engraving of all time.

Best, Austin

OLD THREAD, I know. But it came up on a serial number search hit.

I can dig through my past PP issues that I have, but I am missing a good deal. Does anyone know off hand what issue of PP Austin is mentioning above?

I have acquired one of the A grades that were in this 8 order run of guns (31839 - 31846) to Meacham and I am looking to research them as best as I can.

Garland, if you are still active on this board, can you please get in touch with me.? Thanks.

Bill Murphy
01-31-2019, 11:20 AM
Brian, Elliott was only one of the shooters of these guns. Maybe some other names of note will turn up in the letters for other guns in this series. I can help to identify the names if anyone cares to share them.

Brian Dudley
01-31-2019, 11:27 AM
I do not have any information directly as to who mine was originally owned by, My letter just states it was sold to Meacham in St. Louis as part of a consecutive 8 gun order. But 12 years after it was sold, it was returned for service by a Gentleman in upstate NY who was the Chief Musician and Band leader for the 9th infantry division. His name as Adam Merz. and his initials are on the stock shield of the gun.

Dean Romig
01-31-2019, 12:35 PM
OLD THREAD, I know. But it came up on a serial number search hit.

I can dig through my past PP issues that I have, but I am missing a good deal. Does anyone know off hand what issue of PP Austin is mentioning above?

I have acquired one of the A grades that were in this 8 order run of guns (31839 - 31846) to Meacham and I am looking to research them as best as I can.

Garland, if you are still active on this board, can you please get in touch with me.? Thanks.

Spring 2009 "Parker Locks and Hammers" contributed by Charles A. Herzog Sr.

I would encourage everyone interested in the content of past issues of Parker Pages to buy either the CD or the zip drive with the entire searchable archive.

Brian Dudley
01-31-2019, 01:21 PM
Thank you Dean!

CraigThompson
02-03-2019, 04:45 PM
I would encourage everyone interested in the content of past issues of Parker Pages to buy either the CD or the zip drive with the entire searchable archive.

I just looked at the “store” on the webpage and no such dog exists . Seems to me I saw it in the periodical , so why not on the webpage ? I just looked at the most recent magazine , I see the question posed as to whether anyone would be in favor of this for possibly $50 . But not the items for sale , with that being said I would be intrested I think . I’d actually rather have the printed material but that’s not practical when I travel .

keavin nelson
02-07-2019, 03:13 PM
Ditto on the interest Dean. Didn't we run this down before.