PDA

View Full Version : Old Lifter, Parker?

David Hamilton
08-30-2010, 08:33 PM
A friend showed me an old Parker which has the Miller patent date of 1866. This is an interesting gun which has a barrel with almost no markings. It is damascus and the configuration looks correct for Parker Manufacture. Serial no # 0177 There is nothing on the gun that identifies it as Parker because the barrel rib has no inscription. The barrel has no serial number, and only a two initial stamp.

Mark Landskov
08-30-2010, 08:52 PM
David, I am saving up my money for the big, 2 volume Parker book. I bought a less costly book, and I am pert near as clueless now as I was before I got the book! Sorry I can't be of more help. Someone will be along shortly with some good info to help clear up your mystery. Cheers!

Dave Suponski
08-30-2010, 08:55 PM
David, Any chance getting some photo's of the gun? This could be a very interesting/important find.

David Hamilton
08-30-2010, 09:25 PM
I thought that I had uploaded 5 pictures but I don't see them. Back to the drawing board. David

David Yeatts
08-30-2010, 09:27 PM
David
Was the gun a lifter? If so it sounds a lot like one I saw which Gary Carmichael have at the Vintagers last year. Don't remember the serial # but the first number was a 0. I do remember the barrel had very few markings but I think the rib was stamped.
Dave

David Hamilton
08-30-2010, 09:29 PM
Here are some pictures, David

David Yeatts
08-30-2010, 09:38 PM
It does look like a Parker. Could the rib be a replacement?
David

David Hamilton
08-30-2010, 09:42 PM
This is a 12 gauge gun with 28" aprox. barrels and a small frame. You can see that the breach end of the barrels is very thin. However the gun looks to have been used extensively having pitted barrels and all the use marks of a full life. The gun comes from Rappahannock County, Virginia which after the civil war was poor and a gun like this one would have been used to gather victuals. david

David Hamilton
08-30-2010, 09:48 PM
David, Yes the barrels could be a replacement but think of the difficulties involved to get a fitted Parker set of damascus barrels! And at that time. Anything is possible in a gun that old but the barrels look to be Parker. The rib is correct. The only problem is that they are unmarked. David

David Hamilton
08-30-2010, 10:00 PM
The trigger guard tang has been repaired/ replaced and has no serial number.

Austin W Hogan
08-31-2010, 08:57 AM
Parker guns with three digit s/n often have no identifying marks of any kind. They are identified as Parkers by the frame design , especially the locking mechanism.
These guns were made before King joined Parker Bros, were made in different (if any) tooling, and did not carry inspector's/makers stamps of later Parkers.

Best, Austin

George Lander
09-01-2010, 07:08 PM
I have SN 0229 and it has nothing on the back action locks but does have "PARKER BROs. MAKERs MERIDAN CONN DECARBONIZED STEEL" on the top rib. The SN is on the side of the barrel lug, the water table & the fore arm iron and the wood.

Best Regards, George

David Hamilton
09-01-2010, 09:09 PM
George, The fore arm iron and wood have the serial number but nothing on the barrels.
They are damascus, are very light but have not been blown-up. The gun was used by prudent shooters. It is just an attractive wall hanger at present and there is no plan to restore or shoot this veteran. David

Gary Carmichael Sr
09-01-2010, 11:24 PM
David the gun you refer to was 01943 damascus 32" 12 bore light frame.

David Hamilton
09-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Dear Mr. Carmichael, Would you please explain the number 01943?? We are challenged in knowledge, but wanting to know. David