PDA

View Full Version : Engraving the shield

Ed Sasso
01-31-2018, 07:37 PM
Forget the grade.... forget the condition...
Thoughts on engraving your initials on an old fine double if no one over the last 100 years has already. Does it matter?
Now assume it is a high grade in high condition...

Dean Romig
01-31-2018, 07:45 PM
If it's your favorite gun and it's going to always be your gun - why not?

I had it done to Kathy's - brought it to my jeweler and he had it done a day or two later.

Ed Sasso
02-01-2018, 06:45 AM
I put this in the wrong forum How can I get it moved....

Ed Sasso
02-01-2018, 06:49 AM
And even If I sell them...

Rick Losey
02-01-2018, 07:46 AM
you could just sell the gun you are thinking of engraving - and then be in the right place :rotf:

Brian Dudley
02-01-2018, 06:32 PM
That is what the inlay is for.

Stephen Hodges
03-09-2018, 12:59 PM
I have always been amazed at how few shields are engraved. As Brian said, that is why they are there. I would not think it would hurt the value of a gun one bit. And if it were old engraving say from an original owner, i think it enhances the value a bit.

Todd Poer
03-10-2018, 08:34 AM
But what if you did it now on a 100 year old gun, where the badge has been untouched for that long. Interesting idea. For me it would be no sweat if just engraved first letter of last name in same style "P". In my case it would be just a push, now if my man Mark slaps an R on there, well then maybe gun doubles in value, but only if he sells his Orvis snake boots with the gun.

Mark Ray
03-10-2018, 06:58 PM
But what if you did it now on a 100 year old gun, where the badge has been untouched for that long. Interesting idea. For me it would be no sweat if just engraved first letter of last name in same style "P". In my case it would be just a push, now if my man Mark slaps an R on there, well then maybe gun doubles in value, but only if he sells his Orvis snake boots with the gun.

That my friend is highly unlikely, as Robin, and my nephews know that those boots are to be on my gnarled ‘ol feet when the dirt hits the top of the pine box!!

As an aside, I was given a new pair of Chippawa light weight snake boots for Christmas this year....wore them on one hunt this year, and my pals looked at me like calves looking at a new gate when I showed up in them. Hate ‘em!

Mark Ray
03-11-2018, 02:18 PM
But back to the original idea of the thread....I just did a wipe down last night of guns that don't live in cases....Currently, not one of them has an engraved medallion. the only personalized gun I have is the 16 hammer that Mark Larsen did for me.

But, I think either way it would lend character to any gun, and would also help with discovering "provenance"

Todd Poer
03-12-2018, 06:33 AM
Just guessing, but the idea of engraving something for a gift is a great idea as a memento. Most of these guns were bought in era to be used by the buyer and not by alot of prestigious folks that maybe monogrammed things is my guess. The fact that Parker put a place to monogram and low percentage of guns that actually has an engraved badge sort of speaks to this, especially for the lower grade guns. Maybe the higher grade bespoke guns have more monogramming?

I'm sort of indifferent to it, as to creating value that really depends could help, could hurt. But if you own the gun and it makes you happy have an initial(s) on it, go for it who cares. I guess real question is a personal issue, would you pay more or less for a gun monogrammed for or by some Joe Blob regular fella? It sort of like reincarnation idea. When someone says they are reincarnated its always someone famous and not some regular guy (Crash Davis, Bull Durham)

Russell E. Cleary
03-13-2018, 12:55 AM
This shield is on my father’s 1915 DHE; 12-gauge; 28-inch barreled 1 ˝ -frame. It appears to be engraved “S.F.”.

I would really like to know who S.F. was. For me, this enduring personalization is an enhancement. (I have no idea what it does to extrinsic, or resale, value.)

At least I asked my father before be passed away from whom he acquired all four of his Parkers. This gun was bought from his hunting and fishing buddy, a local sporting goods retailer, who would likely have been a receiver of guns no longer used by their original owners or their families. I checked with his son, and there are no extant shop records for Macone Sporting Goods, of Concord, Massachusetts.

The research letter just says it was ordered by Boston retailer William Reed & Sons in 1916.

Maybe the local gun clubs have a comprehensive list of their members I could examine...one last implausible shot at determining attribution.

Jay Gardner
03-13-2018, 06:48 PM
Unless it was going to be my “forever” fun I wouldn’t do it. I suppose it might be able to be “aged” but ...

Finding an old gun with engraving is another story. I think it is a nice tie to the history of the fun. Below is a photo of the shield on one of my Hussey’s. I believe is is the Gilmore family crest. The motto translates to “It shall be given to those who persevere.”
http://https://imgur.com/a/jgeL2

Mark Ray
03-21-2018, 04:19 PM

It is Prime Time rattler season here. This past Sunday, I pulled on the ‘ol gokeys to clean up a particularly “snakey” looking woodpile at the house. Afterwards, while enjoying a celebratory beverage, and tossing the ball for the boys, I thought of you Todd, so I took a snap of your “favorite” boots!! Enjoy!!

Dean Romig
03-21-2018, 07:13 PM
I have a few Parkers with engraved ovals - the first is Rear Admiral Thomas Perry's DH Damascus 20ga. after Abe Chaber refinished the wood and added a leather covered pad. - The second is Jessie Alvord Bishop's little 28 ga. DHE - and the third is a Remington DHE 20 ga. and I don't know who S.S. is/was. Then there is Jessie Bishop's again and Adm. Thos. Perry's (before refinishing) and Jessie Bushop's together. I'm still looking for the picture of Katherine H. Romig's 28 ga. Repro PG, BTFE, DT, Q1 & Q2 engraved oval.

Todd Poer
03-22-2018, 07:28 PM
It is Prime Time rattler season here. This past Sunday, I pulled on the ‘ol gokeys to clean up a particularly “snakey” looking woodpile at the house. Afterwards, while enjoying a celebratory beverage, and tossing the ball for the boys, I thought of you Todd, so I took a snap of your “favorite” boots!! Enjoy!!

Love it. Though will have to say those dang boots look drier than my Grandaddy's scalp, and he has been dead and buried for close to 20 years. Man those are some tough boots. Maybe next year they will get good and broken in:)

Good stuff.

Todd Poer
03-22-2018, 07:41 PM
I have a few Parkers with engraved ovals - the first is Rear Admiral Thomas Perry's DH Damascus 20ga. after Abe Chaber refinished the wood and added a leather covered pad. - The second is Jessie Alvord Bishop's little 28 ga. DHE - and the third is a Remington DHE 20 ga. and I don't know who S.S. is/was. Then there is Jessie Bishop's again and Adm. Thos. Perry's (before refinishing) and Jessie Bushop's together. I'm still looking for the picture of Katherine H. Romig's 28 ga. Repro PG, BTFE, DT, Q1 & Q2 engraved oval.

Those are nice. One of these days when in the market for damascus gun Im going to have remember that gun engraved with a TP and inquire about it.

Mike Franzen
03-27-2018, 11:34 AM
I recently acquired VH 118995 a 12 gauge with factory 24” barrels. Besides being the earliest known example of only two made it also has the distinction of being one of the last guns Brad Bachelder ever worked on. Brad and his crew restored the gun to as new condition in every respect. I had Geoffrey Gournet engrave the shield. Barring disaster it will travel through time and will age appropriately with the rest of the gun.

Dean Romig
03-27-2018, 02:12 PM
Those are nice. One of these days when in the market for damascus gun Im going to have remember that gun engraved with a TP and inquire about it.

It is a very handy fair-weather grouse and woodcock gun - light, agile and pretty. A great little companion on long walks.

Daniel G Rainey
03-28-2018, 06:44 PM
Never heard of someone not buying or buying a gun because the oval was engraved. I have a couple of Parkers with engraved ovals and I love them wished I knew the men who once owned the guns and we could talk guns, birds and dogs.

Bill Watt
04-10-2018, 01:14 PM
I was recently handed down my great grandfathers AHE 12ga (1909). Thinking about having his initials engraved into it, I can't ever see it being sold.

Dean Romig
04-10-2018, 04:01 PM
I can't think of any reason not to. It would certainly commemorate him.

Harold Lee Pickens
04-13-2018, 12:52 PM
My DHE 16, has "Jos. Gray, Atlanta, Ga." engraved on its shield. Factory letter says the gun was shipped to Anderson Hdw. in Atlanta in 1905. When I look at that shield, I can just imagine it riding along on a mule drawn hunting wagon behind a brace of setters or pointers. With its O frame and 26" cyl/m chokes, the perfect little quail gun.