PDA

View Full Version : 10 Gauge chambers and barrels

Frank Cronin
08-28-2010, 05:44 PM
To begin with, I have been looking for a ten gauge to add to my collection. In my search I have seen 10 ga chambers in various lengths - 2 5/8”, 2 3/4', 2 7/8", 3", and 3 1/2".

I'm sure Parker would suit whatever chamber lengths the customer would desire. What were the standard lengths? When is there a transition when Parker manufactured longer 10 ga. chamber lengths from early to later years?

Where chambers lengths made only for brass shells?

For 12 ga. the chamber length is 1/8" shorter than the shot shell (2 5/8" for a 2 3/4" shell). Is this true for 10?

For an early Parker made prior to 1900 and the chambers are 3 1/2", is this a good possibility they have been lengthened later in the gun's life?

We have in the FAQ section barrel wall thickness for 12's. This is .025 minimum. What is it for 10's?

Thanks,

Frank

Austin W Hogan
08-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Frank; The 1899 Parker Catalog, and others, offer chamber lengths at the buyers specification at no additional cost. At the same time, Winchester and UMC offered paper cases at the length specified by the customer. There is no "standard" for the time.
The best information for the era indicates that long cases and chambers were used to accomodate longer wads. Long chambers were not made to accomodate predecessors of Super X loads.

Best, Austin