PDA

View Full Version : Old A&F Leather Case

Russ Jackson
08-28-2010, 07:36 AM
Good Morning All ,Maybe some of you guys remember a while back ,I purchased the A&F Leather case ,Angel had on our site for sale ,the case is really in excellent condition ,but I would like to give the outside a good cleaning and then treat the leather with something that will really bring it back to life ! Would any body know what to use to get this job done ,I would really appreciate suggestions from those of you that have done this ! I have a product called " Ballistol Multi Purpose Sportsman's Oil " I picked this up at a local show ,it really does clean and puts a very slick layer of oil on metal ,also good on wood ,claims to be good on leather ,any one ever use this product on leather ? Any help will be appreciated ! Thank you ; Russ

Phillip Carr
08-28-2010, 09:03 AM
On a recommendation from a local saddle and leather shop here in Tucson, I started using BLACKROCK Leather "N" Rich. This is a great product, that will clean, restores and leaves a proffesional finish. Others may have additinal products that work as well.

Bruce Day
08-28-2010, 09:51 AM
Here's a VC case, I had forgotten that it had gold letters. Can't find a picture of the older A&F oak and leather case, but this one was done with Meltonian Light Brown. This is the case for the Mrs Howard DHE 20ga.

Marc Retallack
08-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Russ

I use Ballistol on my fixed blade knife sheaths. I like it for the leather for that purpose feeling it serves double duty with treating the leather and protecting the metal from moisture while it's in the sheath. It will darken the leather considerably. If the case you reference were mine, I think I would use a product made specifically for leather like the one recommended by Mr. Carr.

Cheers
Marcus

Russ Jackson
08-28-2010, 01:09 PM
Marc, I like the product as well other than the very strong aroma it emits ,that was one concern and the other was discoloring ! Also Bruce ,Thank you for posting the pic. of the case and the PM's also ,it is all much appreciated ! I have found an old can of Fiebings Saddle Soap in one of my old bag of assorted goodies ,says it cleans and renews all leather articles ,I think I will give this a shot ,I will take some before Pics. and also some after Pics. and we will all see how this works out ,hope to get to it later today ,any one else want to try other products with pics. this could end up being a valuable learning thread ! Thanks all , Russ

Bruce Day
08-28-2010, 04:35 PM
I made a couple recommendations, but Kevin McCormack is highly skilled in rejuvenating old leather. I know he has made some specific product recommendations here in the past.

Larry Frey
08-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Russ,
Here are the recommendations Kevin McCormack sent to me a few years ago after he repaired a Red Head case for me. Hope this helps.

I use Kiwi brand "mink oil" which is not an oil at all but an opaque wax with lanolin, silicone, and some other goodies in it. You can find it at any pharmacy or food store in the home products section at about $3-$4 a tin. A couple of three applications a year is all you need to keep good leather supple and dry-rot resistant. Rub case with it using circular motion in sections, working it into the leather. Then set aside to dry in a cool, dry place for a couple of days. It's especially good for handles and straps, as these are usually the first to break from dry rot over time.

Russ Jackson
08-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Okay guys ,Not sure how much difference you can tell in the pics. ,but there is a huge difference ! First two are before and then the after !Thank you all for the fine suggestions ! Russ

Bruce Day
08-28-2010, 07:08 PM
Looks to me like the top end Red Head made Elliot case labeled for A&F. Amazing how these things clean up. I think they are the perfect accompaniment to a vintage Parker, so much better than a plastic full length case.

Dean Romig
08-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Okay... nice case Russ - nice job...

Now, please tell us about the Parker in the case, the one with the engraved wedges, Hmmmm... ?

:corn:

Russ Jackson
08-28-2010, 09:56 PM
Hey Dean ,How ya doing ? The gun in the case is the 20, C Grade ,I had down at Pin Tail last year ! I figure that gun is probably period for the case ,and the case period for the gun , what do you think ,Serial ,240983 .It is the reason ,I bought the case !

Dave Suponski
08-28-2010, 10:28 PM
Fantastic gun Russ. Are we going to get to view it again this year? I hope!

Russ Jackson
08-28-2010, 10:39 PM
Hi Dave ,My Buddy Henry and I are planning on driving down early Saturday morning ,if you would care to see it ,I will more than happy to bring it along ,and any others I have that you would like to see ! I must confess ,I have been selling a number of guns lately ,just turning the ones over ,I haven't used in a while , gathering up a little extra Parker Cash ! :whistle: Russ

Dean Romig
08-28-2010, 11:10 PM
Doing real well Russ - Oh yeah, I know the gun (:bowdown:) I just didn't remember it having a pad.
I hope to see you at Pintail too. Correct me if I'm wrong but I remember that gun to have a straight grip (with scalloped checkering), 26" barrels and a semi-beavertail forend? The book shows it with a capped pistol grip.... did you ever get a letter on that gun? Any Remington codes after date of manufacture?

Russ Jackson
08-29-2010, 07:52 AM
Good Morning Dean , Yes I did get a letter on the gun sad to say ,there isn't much info. , it did leave the factory with the straight grip stock and there are repair codes ,but no info. on what was done to the gun upon return . If you recall we had a good time pulling the trigger guard and were all sort of suprised to find all of the #'s matched and were factory stamped on the wood ,also the extra engraving on the barrels ,it was decided beyond a doubt was Runge ,I really liked the uniqueness of the gun when I bought it ,but after all of the inspecting on it and it appearing to have this work done at the factory I have to admit ,it really made my day ! Still not sure about the checking ,although as thin as these guns are at the wrist ,I don't know how the standard C grade checking could have possibly sanded off and the checking added without weakening the stock . I wish there were better Remington records with a little more info. !The Stamping shows the gun to be made May ,1938 ,Returned in Dec. 1944 ,and again Jan. 1955 ,For what ,Who Knows ?????? I will add a few pics. so those who haven't seen the gun will know what we are discussing here ! Russ

Dave Suponski
08-29-2010, 07:59 AM
Russ, Thank's for the pictures! We will see you on Saturday. I missed seeing that great gun last year but that won't happen this year....:)

E Robert Fabian
08-29-2010, 09:30 AM
Nice C Russ, like the engraving, barrel wedges floor plate. It is interesting checkering with the uncommon fore end style but the butt stock has a pattern that resembles standard graded fore ends. Very nice.

Dean Romig
08-29-2010, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the tease Russ. I love that gun!

Russ Jackson
08-29-2010, 04:20 PM
I Know !!:whistle: Thanks Dean !

Dean Romig
08-29-2010, 04:58 PM
I wasn't especially 'surprised' to learn that the serial number was stamped into the wood under ther trigger guard.... I think I was more satisfied and gratified to witness the physical evidence that Remington could and would do what the buyer wanted, as evidenced in the checkering patterns of your stock and forend - carrying on a fine tradition that Parker Bros. had always espoused, that of satisfying the customer.

Russ Jackson
08-29-2010, 05:53 PM
You know Dean ,the fit is so perfect ,I really don't believe any body was really shocked ,but it was nice to see !

Bill Murphy
08-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Russ, I saw the gun at the Vintagers. Thank you for bringing out and showing it to me. It is among the best 20 gauge Parkers out there. I love it. Murphy

Russ Jackson
08-30-2010, 09:01 AM
Bill ;Thank you for the fine compliment on the 20 ,I am going to have it with me again this year ,will be down on Sat. ,Dave S. didn't get to get a look at it last year ,he was shooting while I had it at the tent and sad to say ,he and I didn't hook up . I will make a point of locating him this year ! Russ

Dave Suponski
08-30-2010, 12:11 PM
You betcha!.....:)