PDA

View Full Version : English Setter Puppies

Dean Romig
01-13-2018, 10:56 PM
I found this Hy Hintermeister print today while browsing through an auction site listing past sales of his art.

It reminded me of our fabulous litter of eight out of Olga's Grace of Coronation X Burdock's Coronation, whelped on November 17, 2017. Five pups went to their new homes yesterday, one went this morning and we expect the last two to go on Monday. :crying: What an experience it has been!

Only the pups in pictures 6, 7, 8, and 9 are going to hunting homes - the rest will be be going as companion dogs or family pets to wonderful people and families.

Patrick Lien
01-13-2018, 11:29 PM
Dean,
That is a fabulous group of dogs!

Patrick

Robin Lewis
01-13-2018, 11:30 PM
Great pictures Dean, they are some cute pups. When I was looking at them I noticed your "I'm a Setter man" salutation and boy, did that bring back memories.

When I was a young boy back in the mid 50's, my dad would stop in Vowinckel Pennsylvania to have something to eat at the Hotel there. It was a bar really, and it had all kinds of animal mounts on the walls which would fascinate any child. One that my dad would use to get me going was a Jackalope; a rabbit with antelope horns. But, the memory that stands out the most was my confusion when I went to use their restroom. As a small boy, I knew nothing about identifying one bread of dog from another. So, when I got to the restroom door, I didn't know what to do. You see, on the two doors the men and woman text was not posted, only a picture of a dog. Each door had a painting of a dog; now I know that one was a Setter and the other was a Pointer, but back then I was puzzled as to their meaning. I drove by there about ten years ago and I just had to stop. It hadn't changed in over 50 years.

Rick Losey
01-14-2018, 09:27 AM
Only the pups in pictures 6, 7, 8, and 9 are going to hunting homes - the rest will be be going as companion dogs or family pets to wonderful people and families.

a sign of the time I am afraid -Macallan is the only one of his litter to come to a hunting home-

I am sure they will be loved and spoiled none the less

having only been on the receiving end of puppy day - I don't know how you do it.

I got this print at an antique show- I sold it here on the board because my wife said it was too sad for her to look at :rolleyes:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=588&pictureid=9799

Gerald McPherson
01-14-2018, 09:31 AM
Now thats purtie.

Rick Losey
01-14-2018, 09:49 AM
a happier one- this is the first Edmund Osthaus I bought -its a big one - an "original" print dated 1890 something- i'd have to look again

this print is how Old Hemlock Osthaus got his name- my daughter and I were on our way out the door for that puppy day - and I had not come up with a name- she looked at the print hanging over her baby grand and said - lets call him Osthaus - and so he was

its a poor image through the old glass
http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=588&pictureid=9800

Dean Romig
01-14-2018, 09:51 AM
I would love to have that picture.

Grace won't have such 'projected' emotions, and most dogs won't. They're usually glad when the pups are gone... but it's a beautiful picture none the less.

Rick Losey
01-14-2018, 10:34 AM
the first one - as i said - went to someone on the board

the second -:) - said daughter laid claim to that one a long time ago - that and the first longrifle i built are the only things she has made me promise to leave her- if they go else where and if the dead can be haunted by the living - she will track my soul down after i pass :rotf:

Garth Gustafson
01-14-2018, 11:32 AM
I know I can't have one...but I still want one. Must be a sad day around the Romig house

Dean Romig
01-14-2018, 11:34 AM
We'll miss them for sure!

Marty Kohler
01-14-2018, 11:58 AM
My God those pups are gorgeous....What wonderful pictures.....how lucky the new owners all are...

But the picture of the girl with her pup says it all..

You captured a wonderful moment there Dean ...

Dean Romig
01-15-2018, 07:35 AM
Thank you. We have captured many, many special moments with this granddaughter and in fact, with all of our grandchildren. It has been a very special experience for both the girls and the puppies. These kinds of associations help to form all of their personalities.

John Dallas
01-15-2018, 08:44 AM
Lots of human interaction during the 7th to the 11th week is critical to the puppies' ability to relate well to people. Looks like they are off to a good start

Tom Pellegrini
01-15-2018, 04:17 PM
The four litters of Labs I raised, 27 pups total, my two daughters named every one and cried like babies when they left to their new homes. A lot of work, but very enjoyable.

Ted Hicks
01-17-2018, 01:52 PM
My family and I are greatly honored to be the proud owners of one of Grace's puppies. We've named him Grayson, an old English/Scottish/Irish name that meant "The Son of Grace". We owe our gratitude to Dean and Kathy for providing a wonderful home for Grace to have her litter, and for their care and nurturing of the pups as well.

We picked Grayson up on Friday the 12th and got him home in good shape where he is adjusting nicely to his new home. So far the crate and house training are well underway; he’s a smart one and even at only nine weeks has shown great progress. He loves his crate and waits at the door excitedly to go out.

He has also shown a preference for the finer things in life when he had the option to chew on the plastic strap of a cheap gun case or the leather strap of an Orvis LOM case, he chose the LOM strap. Lesson learned for me!:rotf:

Anyway, we are having a blast with him and at first it was easy to tire him out. Now I’m the one that gets tired out. I am already looking forward to taking on his first hunt this Fall.

Reggie Bishop
01-17-2018, 03:15 PM
He is a fine setter pup!

Brett Hoop
01-17-2018, 04:06 PM
Great looking Pup.

Dean Romig
01-17-2018, 04:23 PM
This little guy shows huge promise! I was even able to get a few points out of him with a woodcock wing on a string from a fishing rod. It didn't take very long for Grayson to learn he couldn't catch it so he would stiffen and point it.

I think Grayson has a great future and we'll see a lot of him on the forum in the years to come.

Alfred Houde
01-23-2018, 08:51 AM
That's a nice looking litter. Some nicely marked pups.

Garth Gustafson
09-21-2018, 12:15 PM
Well it looks like great breeding and training really pays off. Whose up front sniffing for birds now?

Dave Tercek
09-25-2018, 09:46 AM
Rick, I have the "For Sale Setters Puppies" on my wall. It gets more comments from visitors than any thing else in our house.
Thanks for offering it here. Dave