PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a little more info on my Parker

JeneaRychlicki
07-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Hi all! I'm new to your site, still learning my way around. I have acquired a Parker (and quite a few other long guns and pistols.) Since this is a Parker site, I have a few questions.

* I'm learning about "The Serial # id book" and was wondering if my gun was in there: sn 64284. While I'm just learning, I'm thinking by looking at your pics and my label of "TWIST" it may be laminated.

* Does anyone know of a decent appraiser in Western NY? Trying to understand if I should update my homeowners with a special rider.

* Does anyone have an opinion on the Blue Book for firearms? Like I said, the majority of my guns are collectors items and looking to research them a bit more!

* My Parker has a broken stock, how would you handle purchasing a new one, ie. doing a subtle restore for stock only?

* Is there a membership to join the official PGCA?

I apologize in advance for any super dumb questions, I'm learning and trying my best!

Thanks in advance!
Jenea

Marty Kohler
07-05-2009, 09:20 PM
Jenea,
I`m in WNY also......You are about an hour and forty five minutes from Turnbull`s in Bloomfield, southeast of Rochester...They have a web site with lots of info..Also there are many extremely knowledgeable guys right here that would give their opinions if you would post numerous pictures....Good Luck, Marty

JeneaRychlicki
07-05-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm on the west side of Rochester, great, I will look into Turnbull's! I was just at Helmet World on Friday in Canandaigua, wish I knew! Thanks so much and I will work on pics! Best! Jenea

Richard Flanders
07-06-2009, 02:57 AM
Do post pictures on the forum if you can. Folks will chime in with more advice than you can take in. Broken stocks can be fixed much of the time. It's very expensive to have a new one made. There are links to stock repairmen on our home page in the 'links' button. Stock Fixers and the Dutchman are two that folks seem to use and trust. Post pics of the broken stock and someone will tell you who might be best at your repair. There is a PGCA membership fee, either annual or life. Details are also on the forum home page. You'll get as many opinions on the blue book as there are folks who reply. I tend to not use it much. It's expensive and it's easier to gauge prices by looking on the Gunbroker and Guns International auction sites and on dealer internet sites.

George Lander
07-06-2009, 03:12 PM
64284 is in the "BOOK" as a PT or "O" grade 12 gauge Parker with 30 inch plain twist barrels & capped pistolgrip stock, no extras. There is a membership fee of $40.00 to join the PGCA, however, in addition to the newsletter you can order a research letter on your Parker for $40.00 as a member instead of $60.00 for non-members. I hope that this helps.

Best Regards, George

Kevin McCormack
07-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Jean, please check your PMs on this site; I am sending you one momentarily.
Thanks, Kevin McCormack

Kevin McCormack
07-07-2009, 12:38 PM
I tried to send you the PM but got a "Member Not Found" message. Maybe the spelling of your name. Go ahead and send me a PM and we will take it from there. Thanks, K.

JeneaRychlicki
07-08-2009, 08:47 PM
Ok, hope this helps! Perhaps the "broken stock" wasn't the most appropriate term - it's actually missing. Hopefully I can get these pictures to post!http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/jrychlicki/Parker/IMG_1326.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/jrychlicki/Parker/IMG_1327.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/jrychlicki/Parker/IMG_1329.jpg
http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s39/jrychlicki/Parker/IMG_1334.jpg

Larry Frey
07-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Talk about a short LOP.:shock:

Dean Romig
07-08-2009, 11:04 PM
Am I looking at a severely dented right barrel on the side about four inches from the breech? If that's what it is - that, coupled with the broken stock, renders it to about a nice 'parts gun' when you consider what it will cost even to bring it to shootable condition.
Please tell me I'm wrong about what looks like a big dent . . .

Richard Flanders
07-08-2009, 11:27 PM
I think it's just a shadow from the fabric Dean. Unfortunate on the stock situation; it looks to be in decent condition otherwise. Looks like Mark McQuire used it to whack a homer... Maybe there's someone out there who can make their own replacement stock.

Dean Romig
07-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Now that you say that, Rich, you're probably right. I didn't mean to disparage her gun, just calling what I saw but I'm probably wrong about a dent. It is a decent gun, I agree - except for the obvious, of course.

JeneaRychlicki
07-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Definitely no dents! Must just be the shadow. Yes, the barrel is in gorgeous shape but the stock, well, we know, not so much. I wish my Grampa was here to give me the history, I don't know how the stock was broken. Maybe someone will be selling a stock at some point? :)

Dean Romig
07-09-2009, 08:32 AM
Sorry Jenea, didn't mean to dis your gun.
Getting a 'take-off' Parker stock that will fit your gun will be pretty hard to find. They're out there but the right one will probably need some expert fitting.

Dean

JeneaRychlicki
07-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Sorry Jenea, didn't mean to dis your gun.
Getting a 'take-off' Parker stock that will fit your gun will be pretty hard to find. They're out there but the right one will probably need some expert fitting.

Dean
No offense taken! I guess my question to some is if you were GIVEN the gun would you have said, "Oh, no, sorry, it has a broken stock, I don't want it." HAHAHA!

Anyways, the gun is NOT for sale, parts gun or not. I'm looking to learn about the gun and the rest of them in my collection. Hopefully at 30 I have time left in my life to look for a stock. :)

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

Dean Romig
07-10-2009, 09:00 AM
I don't think any of would refuse a gun like yours, it is very nice otherwise.

And yes, you've got plenty of time ahead of you (about as much as a lot of us have behind us) to find a stock and learn about your other guns. BTW, what others do you have?

Destry L. Hoffard
07-10-2009, 03:39 PM
I'm getting the impression that you've inherited a group of guns from somebody?

Destry