PDA

View Full Version : Daisy, My Little Girl

Rich Anderson
12-27-2017, 11:43 AM
I was her third home and maybe her last stop. She came to me in a weird sort of way sometimes the good ones do that. I was at the local gun club (90 min drive) shooting skeet and had loaned my keys to someone to open target boxes with. They left and took my keys with them.

A friend offered me a ride home to get the extra set and we got to talking about dogs. Seems he was working with a two year old shorthair named Daisy. Her owner hadn't done anything with her in the form of training. If he wanted her to kennel he just threw in a treat and shut the door. He had asked my friend Marshall for help and he agreed. The original owner had a heart problem and died on the operating table leaving my friend with Daisy a dog he didn't want or need as he is more of a duck hunter and he had three labs already.

Gunner was 10 at the time and showing signs of his years. "Daisy is a smart dog she just needs some more work and to be hunted" I was told. I met Marshall at a local preserve and watched Daisy work. She covered 100 yards faster than you could say it. I've always said she has two speeds, flat out and a dead stop.

Daisy proved she was smart and we got along fine. She ran a deer only once, while at the Hay Marsh a couple ran in front of her. Two NO!s and a touch of the E collar and she never did it again.

That was ten years ago and she became queen of the castle as soon as she arrived. She wanted attention and demanded it and got it. She and Gunner hunted well together for several years and made a great pair.

We have had a lot of great hunts over the last decade and she never once lost a bird even when my shooting wasn't the best and it usually isn't.

Today I said goodbye to Daisy my little girl with all the love and respect I can muster and all the heartache that is embracing every fiber of my body.
She gave unconditional love all her life and it was the least I could do in return. The house isn't the same without her and my recliner will be a lonely spot. This is the first day in more than 25 years I haven't had a dog.:crying::crying:

I have attached some pictures of her doing what she did so well and loved so much. May the wind be in your face and a bird under your nose my little girl.

Garry L Gordon
12-27-2017, 12:01 PM
Rich,

Thanks for sharing the photos. After reading your words about Daisy on the other forum, it was good to put a face to the name. She was a beauty, and I like the fact that fate brought you two together. I'm sure she, in the way that dogs have, was glad to be with someone who wanted her, would hunt with her, and let her "be in charge." Take comfort in having her.

Your news has caused me to go to each of my four Gordons to touch them, and tell them secrets more often than norma today. I hope another dog finds its way into your future.

Garry

Marty Kohler
12-27-2017, 12:55 PM
Rich ,
Just wanted to say that I am so sorry ...and you made me cry with your words ...There are better days ahead ......There with be another someday and like with Gunner it will be a little easier......

Jeff Kuss
12-27-2017, 01:02 PM
Rich,
I'm sorry to hear the news about Daisy. I only hunted over her once at the Hay Marsh.
She never gave up on a bird. I remember following her clear across the Hay Marsh after a runner. She finally got it up. After all that work, I was glad I connected on that pheasant.
Best,
Jeff

Gary Laudermilch
12-27-2017, 01:03 PM
Rich,

So, so sorry to hear about Daisy. There are no words that can heal the hole in your heart, your soul. Only time can help with that - and perhaps another puppy. Take care.

Angel Cruz
12-27-2017, 01:17 PM
Damn Rich, you made me cry.
Sorry for your loss.

Jim DiSpagno
12-27-2017, 01:41 PM
Rich, my sincere heartfelt condolences.. its never easy to say goodbye to a tried and true faithful companion, keep her memory close to your heart. Jim

Reggie Bishop
12-27-2017, 02:46 PM
The loss of a hunting companion and a friend is very difficult indeed. I am sorry for your loss.

Ken Descovich
12-27-2017, 03:13 PM
Rich,
So sorry to hear of the passing of Daisy, my very first dogs name was Daisy and I still miss her 45 years later.
Ken Descovich

Brett Hoop
12-27-2017, 04:11 PM
These are the harshest of payday days, the ones where money wont pay the tab. Still a bargain for all the days of having a live in confessional, one that so well knows you and loves you, faults and all.

You have the best medicine available in Ike! He will be the beneficiary of all the tricks that Gunner and Daisy taught you. I am sure he will teach you some of his own also.

And I thank you for that post on him because it got me thinking of my own CESS (canine emotional support system ). Finn and I talked it over and we are looking into a little brother.

Dave Suponski
12-27-2017, 08:17 PM
Rich,So very sorry to hear of Daisy,s passing. I know how much you loved her. Hang in there buddy.

Harold Lee Pickens
12-27-2017, 09:14 PM
We can pass on our old guns for future generations to enjoy. The lives of our beloved dogs so short in comparison, we can only keep them in our memories and take comfort that at least our friends understand the heartache and loss.
I know you will be smiling at the memories of Gunner and Daisy when that new puppy comes home.
\Harold

Rich Anderson
12-28-2017, 06:52 AM
Brett your CESS system is a good one but unfortunately I don't have one anymore. When Gunner died in 2012 there were three other dogs in the house and slowly they have now all left. Daisy was the last one and Ike won't be here until May. This is a very empty house without Daisy.

I went to the gun room this am to put her collar on the peg with those that have gone before and read the plaque Audrey gave me when Gunner passed and I'd like to share it, it reads "It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are"
Anonymous.

It's going to be a long winter.

Phillip Carr
12-28-2017, 11:05 AM
Rich it clear that Daisy was a special dog and those of us that run dogs understand all to well the sorrow you are experiencing. May can not get here soon enough.
Another special hunting partner can not take away the loss you are feeling as each dog is special as it should be and the new hunting compaion will bring its own personality and will bond with us in its individual way.
No other animal on earth has the ability to love us and pocesseses the desire to please us so much.
This morning while feeding the dogs I accidently stepped on Scouts rear toe. He squealed and started licking his foot. I felt terrible and immediately got down on my knee to look at his foot calling him telling him Im sorry boy. He immediately ran over, jumped up and placed his front feet on my shoulder and started licking my face and it was clear he had already forgave me and forgot about my mistake. ( Try that with your wife or girl friend )

Dennis E. Jones
12-28-2017, 01:39 PM
Oh how this makes me miss my girls. Thanks for posting even if it did make me mist up.

Garth Gustafson
12-28-2017, 03:22 PM
Rich,
So sorry to hear about Daisy. It seems the more we love our animals the more we hurt when we lose them. But you know that you gave Daisy (and all of your dogs) a wonderful life filled with companionship, love and fun. You couldn't have made her life more enjoyable, and she was very lucky and blessed to have you in her life.

Scot Cardillo
12-29-2017, 07:35 AM
Rich, I cannot begin to describe how sorry I am to learn that you've lost your Daisy.

I hope you'll keep the recliner for the treasure that it is.

Jean Swanson
12-29-2017, 07:56 AM
Rich

I have always owned Brits in my 78 years, always females, their unforgiving love and dedication. It always comes hard when they are gone forever.

Sorry for your loss of Daisy

Allan

Rich Anderson
12-29-2017, 09:20 AM
I would like to thank everyone here for your kind words of support. They mean a lot to me as it's more difficult than I imagined it would be and I knew it would be very hard. Daisy was always with me, if i had errands to run she went for a ride, she shared my cereal in the mornings and of course she shared the recliner as we hunted vicariously all over the world. This is the first time I haven't had a dog to share my day with and to be honest it's rather lonely without one. While I look forward to Ike coming in May if I had my way I'd be on my way to Wisconsin for a female pup today. I know I can't replace Daisy and each dog is their own special gift.

Please give your friends a scratch for Daisy and myself for they are here for to short a time.

Daryl Corona
12-29-2017, 07:36 PM
I took Parker and Fox out this afternoon for a scratch hunt at my club and scored 8 birds. As I promised we dedicated it to the memory of Daisy and all the other past bird dogs of members of the PGCA and ones from my past. I am starting a tradition this year of a memorial Xmas week bird hunt. Our hunting buddies are'nt around long enough. Shooting a Parker of course.

Rich Anderson
12-29-2017, 10:30 PM
Audrey as been after me to get the freezer cleaned out some so yesterday I took all the pheasants (about 20 birds) out to thaw. A bunch of friends got together for a fry and a few beers. Daisy pointed and retrieved every one of those birds. We had a meal in her honor.