PDA

View Full Version : question on baker trap gun

charlie cleveland
08-18-2010, 09:51 PM
there is a baker single barrel trap gun on gunbroker right now.question is this gun made by lc smith or by someone else... this gun is under the lc smith guns on the auction... this is a interesting gun... thanks charlie

lee r moege
08-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Good morning Charlie! Nope, the Baker trap was made by Baker[very few made]. Not the quality of Parker or Ithaca single barrel traps but was a lower priced gun built for trap shooting in the heyday of trapshooting. I have seen a few over the years and they are very interesting. The Ithaca Victory grade and the Lefever trap gun were about the same quality. IMO the L.C. Smith trap although available in various higher grades never achieved the popularity of the Parker and Ithaca. A.H. Fox made one that was every bit as good however, but due to high price and bad timing never got off the ground and are very scarce. I wish I still had mine! Cheers!!!. Lee.

Bill Murphy
08-20-2010, 02:06 PM
I like them all, but only the Baker high grades were engraved by Rudolph Kornbrath.

lee r moege
08-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Bill: You are absolutely correct and what a prize one would have in the engraving alone. The only ones I have seen here in Kansas have been the bottom end stuff. Us poor dirt farmers didn't buy many high grade anything "In the day" and those that were have migrated back East it seems. Lee.

Bill Murphy
08-20-2010, 04:13 PM
A friend has a Kornbrath Superba. It is just back from a minor freshening and he had it at the gun club this Saturday. The wood is as nice as the metal. It is beautiful. We cannot find a Kornbrath signature but there is no doubt of its origin. It has a blued receiver and it is very striking.

Drew Hause
08-20-2010, 05:05 PM
"The Ithaca Victory grade and the (Ithaca) Lefever trap gun were about the same quality."
The Victory grade (Flues and Knick) had the same internals, just not the engraving, wood quality, and fit & finish. The Ithaca Lefever cocked with the top lever, and was pretty clunky :)

Lefever Arms Co., Syracuse was the first major American maker to introduce a SBT in 1905; Baker's came out in 1909.

c. 1922 catalog courtesy of Dave Noreen, having been sold to H&D Folsom

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1373/6511424/17434920/326272896.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com:80/VOL1373/6511424/17434920/326272892.jpg

Bill Murphy
08-21-2010, 12:45 PM
Drew, thanks for correcting the statement about the Victory Grade Ithaca. The Victory Grade is identical to higher grade Ithaca singles and is not in any way similar to the late Lefevers. My Victory Grade Knick Model was apparently restocked at Ithaca at some time because it has the Victory checkering pattern but fancy wood similar to what Ithaca would put on the 5E. It is the first Victory Knick I have seen with fancy wood. By the way, my friend's Superba Grade Baker has the entire flock of fleur de lis as pictured in Dave's catalog image.