PDA

View Full Version : New Member

Christopher Hernandez
08-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Greetings PGCA!

Im a new user here and I am seeking information on a shotgun handed down to me from my grandfather. It is a Parker Bros concealed hammer serial number 61432. I believe it is a G model produced in 1890. However, I dont know very much about the gun nor its production history. It is in rough shape with some pitting in the barrel along with some hairline fractures also inside the barrel. Therefore it is nowhere near firing condition. I havent cleaned nor altered the gun in any way, I do know better than that, yet Im not sure the gun is in origional shape either. My grandfather may have altered it, I just dont know. I have taken several pictures of my gun showing all stampings on it. I would greatly appreciate any help or info on this model of shotgun and how close to origional it is. I have attached a link to my photobucket page where I save the photos of this gun. Please feel free to take a look. Thank you very much for your time and help.

Sincerely,
Chris Hernandez

http://s234.photobucket.com/albums/ee308/seisenphotos/seisencollection/?start=0

Jack Cronkhite
08-12-2010, 10:25 PM
Chris: Congratulations on being given a family Parker. Do you know if it has been in the family from the start??
The gun looks well used for sure. It should be a 12 gauge with 30 inch Damascus barrels. If the barrels are 30 inches, then it probably has not been intentionally altered, just well used. The capped pistol grip butt stock is correct for the serial number. There are wear issues with the wood, which could be repaired. At least one of the trigger plate screws looks like a non standard replacement. Some screws have had the slots damaged. Correct replacement screws are available and would need final fitting. The barrels look dented here and there in the pictures but that could be lighting effects. Barrels are the most important feature of the gun if you are wanting to shoot it. Folks on the forum can fill you in on Parker knowledgeable gunsmiths closest to wherever you live. If the barrels are salvageable and you are a shooter, it might be nice to pull it all together and think of your grandfather while enjoying the gun. If you do not want to shoot the gun, you may want to leave it as it was given you or you may want to do cosmetic clean up for display. The unwritten rule of thumb is do the "least harm" possible when doing anything. Many a potentially decent gun has been really damaged by good intentioned clean ups.

Folks here are happy to share knowledge and opinions, so feel free to ask a lot of questions before doing anything or having anything done to your grandfather's gun. I would consider a long time family gun to be priceless, regardless of grade, and a bit of a treasure to keep in the family for generations to come.

Cheers,
Jack

This was my father's gun. The wood was in similar condition to your grandfather's gun. I was able to clean it up and it turned out pretty well.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/HPIM6785.JPG

Dean Romig
08-12-2010, 10:40 PM
Judging by the apparent gap between the barrel breeches and the standing breech I would say it is quite off face and it can be somewhat costly to properly bring it back on face. That old gun has had a hard life so if you are considering shooting it and enjoying it the way your grandfather did you absolutely need to correct some issues and above all, like Jack stated, the integrity of the barrels is paramount so get it to an expert gunsmith who is well versed in Parkers.

Christopher Hernandez
08-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Thank you gentlemen for your help and consideration! The gun was purchased by my great grandfather and given to my grandfather. It is a very important family heirloom to me, as I never knew my grandfather. He passed away of a heart attack long before I was born. My great grandfather was an avid firearms collector and handed his entire collection to my grandfather. That collection is now spread among the family, however this particular shotgun was sorta lost in a travel trunk for some number of years (from 1963 until 1985). My grandmother kept it there with some of his other personal things, so it was honestly neglected. It was his favorite gun which is why she kept it. Ive had the shotgun for quite a while now (since 1995) and I keep it wrapped in a silk bag placed within a generic case. Im only just now in a position to begin restoring the gun, Ive known all along that doing so would cost a pretty penny. I would like for this gun to be as nice as his others in my collection, but it is rough. I know that it is entirely possible that this gun may never fire again, which is ok. Its more of a memorial to my grandfather than a firearm that would see any use.

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at the pics and for your advice. Im sincerely greatful for your help.

Thanks again!
Sincerely,
Chris Hernandez