PDA

View Full Version : Tick control

Brett Hoop
09-09-2017, 11:37 AM
I would like to know what products and practices you have found to work best.

I have tried several products, currently using K9 AdvantixII. We keep Finn's hair cut short for training/hunting season. Easier to remove burrs and inspecting for ticks. I also bath him with a flea / tick soap after the hunt most days. All this with mixed results.

Considering Nexguard product, anyone using it?

What works best for your dog?
Do you use any topical sprays?
Where we hunt PA and starting this year MI deer ticks seem to be everywhere.

Dean Romig
09-09-2017, 11:48 AM
I have always used Frontline on my dogs. If a tick happens to get on Grace and gets to her skin they can't move fast enough to jump off. If they happen to bite her they die before they can get off.

A white dog makes it a lot easier to see the ticks that may be in her fur and helps us prevent them from hitch hiking into the house where we might be their next target.

Kirk Potter
09-09-2017, 01:04 PM
I do pretty much the exact same thing.. hair cut really short and K9 Advantix II, I've found it to work great so far. I'm not 100% sure but I think my vet told me that Advantix II was the only one that both killed AND repelled ticks. Also, I've got my dog the Lyme disease booster.

Daryl Corona
09-09-2017, 03:22 PM
Nexgard. My vet says there has been a problem with Frontline so I switched. Works well so far. Heartguard for heartworms.

Stephen Hodges
09-09-2017, 03:39 PM
I also cut the hair short and use Advantix II, but I also spray each dog with an all natural repellant that my wife found in our local pet store. I think it really helps.

Gary Laudermilch
09-09-2017, 05:20 PM
I have always used Frontline plus. I will occasionally find an attached dead tick but not many. A good combing with a flea comb following each hunt. In recent years it is common to comb out 50+ from each dog.

Steve, I would be interested to know the name of the natural repellent product you use.

Stephen Hodges
09-09-2017, 05:52 PM
Gary, I will find it. I put it away last fall in a place that I could find it easly:rotf:
But you know how that goes:)

Brett Hoop
09-09-2017, 06:37 PM
Good feedback!

Karen just heard a Vet on talk radio mentioning spraying down the dog with Listerine.
Has anyone tried Listerine?

Matt Valinsky
09-09-2017, 07:19 PM
I've had very good results with the Soresto collars the last two years.

Timothy Salgado
09-09-2017, 09:09 PM
I use Bravecto for my dogs that my vet recommended two years ago, one pill every three months takes care of fleas and ticks. Before that I used Vectra 3D topical also obtained at the vet, that also repels mosquitoes. I hunt Eastern PA and found that both work well, I still go over my Labrador after each hunt and any I miss are laying dead in her crate the next morning.

Harold Lee Pickens
09-10-2017, 02:26 PM
I also Seresto collars with good effect. They usually cost around $55 each but last for 8 months. There are a lot of deer ticks in the UP and also here at home, and they have been very effective

Scott Chapman
09-11-2017, 12:56 PM
I recommend either Bravecto, Simparica, or Nexgard oral meds available from your regular veterinarian (all of these products are chemically similar and have been doing a good job).

If you have an extremely bad tick problem, add a Seresto collar or Preventic (Amitraz) collar, in addition to the oral products and you will have done as much as you can do.

Dean Romig
09-11-2017, 01:02 PM
Do we have a veterinarian in the house?

Just my opinion and thoughts here...
It's one thing to put these 'toxic' tick and bug repellents/killers on our dogs without really knowing what, if any, long-term side effects they may cause, but having our dogs actually ingest the stuff just doesn't seem right... it can't be good for them, can it?

Scott Chapman
09-11-2017, 02:57 PM
Do we have a veterinarian in the house? Yes sir.

Just my opinion and thoughts here...
It's one thing to put these 'toxic' tick and bug repellents/killers on our dogs without really knowing what, if any, long-term side effects they may cause, but having our dogs actually ingest the stuff just doesn't seem right... it can't be good for them, can it?

IMHO: Companies spend millions of dollars researching products that are both safe and effective for use in our beloved pets. While we all know that companies are always looking at the bottom line and trying to come up with the newest and most efficient mouse trap, the last thing the company wants is the bad PR that would come with a truly unsafe product. Additionally these products undergo extensive FDA review and evaluation before being brought to market.

As a dog owner (I have 4 bird dogs myself) and a veterinarian, I only recommend things that I would use in my own dogs. I think that the oral products (Bravecto, Simparica and Nexgard) have been out long enough to show that they are safe and effective.

We always have to look at risk vs benefit...If you are in the NE or upper Midwest the risk of getting Lyme Disease is very high in certain areas. I wouldn't let my dogs out of the truck without one of the oral products and likely a good tick collar too.

Tick borne diseases, such as Lyme Disease, Anaplasmosis, Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever and Ehrlichiosis are widespread and serious diseases in tick country. We know these diseases are potentially deadly. All indications that we have at this time are that the medications are safe.

Dean Romig
09-11-2017, 03:31 PM
Thanks Scott, your words are encouraging.
However, having lived in the next town from Woburn, Ma. where W.R. Grace & Sons dumped countless thousands of gallons of toxic waste and being told it was OK to swim in one of their ponds when I was in high school it just makes me cringe when any company manufacturing chemicals or selling/distributing them with promises that they are totally safe (Monsanto also comes to mind) I think I'll just err on the side of caution and keep using topical or external preventatives. Risk Vs. Benefit just seems too precarious... JMHO.

Scott Chapman
09-11-2017, 03:44 PM
I totally understand your point of view...we are blessed to have options.

FWIW: I do occasionally see localized skin reactions to over the counter flea and tick medications containing permethrin. Permethrin is the ingredient that is most effective at keeping off the ticks. The dogs will lose hair where the topical was applied. Some of the dogs will become extremely painful to touch in the area.

Seresto and Preventic (Amitraz) collars are probably the safest, best alternative to oral meds.

Gary Laudermilch
09-11-2017, 04:51 PM
Scott, I and am sure others as well appreciate your input on the tick subject. I share Dean's concern for applying and/or ingesting pesticides. However, the tick density is so high and the risks so great that a minimalist approach just does not seem prudent. Again, thanks for your input.

Bob Jurewicz
09-11-2017, 10:03 PM
My GSP is now 6 years old. I have had her on all Vet recommended flea and tick meds since I got her as a pup. Three years ago we hunted northern MN. She was on oral meds and I also used sprays each time out ( I had the lime vaccine regiment before it was yanked from the market). We were both covered with small lime carrying ticks each time in the field. I was confident she was protected. I did not have her tested for lime disease until about 3-4 months ago. She tested positive! Luckily she shows no symptoms and has now been treated. Won't know if cured until a follow-up test in about a month.
CAN'T BE TOO CAREFULL! THIS IS AN SERIOUS EPIDEMIC FOR BOTH HUMANS AND OUR FAITHFUL FRIENDS!
Bob Jurewicz