PDA

View Full Version : Proud NEW GUY

Don Dabro
07-31-2010, 03:03 PM
Greetings and Salutations - I'm new and humbled with the new info I have
discovered about my (inheirited)12 ga./ dbl.trig./H197xxx/STL.Bbs./good cond. PARKER. I had no idea! How do you get the "Forearm"off?
Don Dabro

Robin Lewis
07-31-2010, 03:23 PM
Does the ser# actually start with an 'H'? What is the ser#, we may be able to ID the for end type from it? What is the inscription on the top barrel rib? Does the for end have a medal lever that you can pull down & out with your finger or is it all wood?

Don Dabro
07-31-2010, 04:00 PM
I got the NO.on the face of the trigger guard - with no "H"- and there is "NO"metal lever/just solid wood! The end of the wood, toward the muzzle, has a "V" shaped notch
obviously, made to put one's finger in to "pull away the forearm" from the Bbl./ but won't release !! Maybe I need a bigger hammer?
The no. I found is #197249 - and the "inscription" reads: PARKER BROS. MAKERS. MERIDEN . CT. USA. TROJAN STEEL .
Thank you very much. Don D.

Don Dabro
07-31-2010, 04:18 PM
DEAR SIR: I have also, just found a symbol, surrounded with an odd sextagon, but in a
horizontal stamp! In th middle is: O V .

Fred Preston
07-31-2010, 05:24 PM
Dean Romig has just the tool for you. On my Trojans, I just slip the tip of my social finger under the tip of the forend and lift. It might be a little stiff, but it will come. The Parker Trojan has the best fitting and strongest snap on forend I know of.

Don Dabro
07-31-2010, 06:24 PM
THANK YOU- THANK YOU - THANK YOU! It worked perfect! Now I have the knack of it!
And I got the numbers - the serial no. was correct #197249 and on the watersplash it
has OV T 4 / The opposite side(RT Bbl.) it has: JG . Whew!! That was fun, almost
like treasure hunting! You guys are the best, FRED and DEAN.

Don Dabro
07-31-2010, 06:31 PM
NOW...I NEED TO JUST... "keep my head down, and follow-through"!

Anyone have an idea how much this beauty is worth?
Don D

Russ Jackson
07-31-2010, 07:19 PM
Hi Don ,and welcome to the PGCA ,Pictures ,would be nice :corn:,you are a lucky fella indeed to inherit a Parker ,Grand Dads ,Grand Mas ,Uncle ?????????????? More info. on the gun would be nice also ,we all enjoy looking at each others guns ! Congrats. on your new Parker ! Russ

Jack Cronkhite
07-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Don: Folks here share your pride on inheriting a family Parker. Can you post some pictures?? Value is condition based but a family gun is considered priceless. If value is important to you, here are some questions. How is the wood for scratches/dents/dings/gouges etc. Your butt stock should be a pistol grip for that SN. How is the metal generally? Has it been re-blued or polished silver shiny (not good)? Is it rusty or pitted anywhere? Can you see case colors of translucent blues and light yellows on the frame? How are the barrels?? Bores clean and shiny but not honed? Any dents/bulges/rust pits?? Are they 30" long (correct for your SN) Does the top lever sit slightly right of the center line (good)?? What about the screw heads - are they burred or are the slots perfect? Do all the screw slots sit either perpendicular or parallel to the gun's axis or are they on every other kind of angle? When you close the gun, is the action tight, ie no way you can wiggle anything?? You can search for Parker Trojans on a variety of sites to see "asking" prices. Selling prices often vary or they are just re-listed. I'm not great at pricing. I have seen Trojans on-line asking $3000 but I haven't seen them sold at that. I bought a Trojan last year for $600 CDN - not a collector piece by any means but I'm planning to drop a few roosters with it this fall.

We do like pictures, especially when they are in focus and show crisp details.

Cheers,
Jack

Don Dabro
08-03-2010, 02:26 AM
WELL, Jack C. - I can't tell you how grateful I am to you, and all the nice people who have
offered their help and much needed info. about my cherished Trojan. Thank you.
My Grandfather,my Dad, and all my Uncles and Cousins were hunters from Michigan!
Needless to say, I was a Hunter/Fisherman and later, FLORIDA STATE SKEET HOA-CHAMP
in 1989. I love Skeet Shootin', mostly gunned with a K-80/o-u/carrier bbl./w/4 Briley Tubes. Custom engraved gold trigger, and Gold inlays-Ported Tubes/single trig.
28"bbls.- truly, a thing to behold-moreover...to shoot.
We hunted almost everything in Mich.'s multi-bag game list. Including Bear/Bow. Scary.
Most of the family were Deer & Pheasant hunters. I loved "Pat"(partridge) hunting with my
dogs. I had English Setters/Springer/ 1 meat-hound/ and 2 Field & Obedience Champions!
They were the best- they could do everything! One was field "hand signaled", the other
would follow him.

Well, a strange turn-about happened me into this 30"PARKER W/DBL.TRIG./AND EJECTORS. My girlfriend of 10 Y's. happened to have a real gentleman Dad. He hunted, and
accomplished many things in his 86 yrs., including "The Big 5"! We were great Friends,as he only had the 2 girls, I became the Son he never had. He went to "The relay good Happy
Hunting Grounds" recently. I'll miss him dearly. Thereby came, in a most thrilling, but odd
"inheritance" unexpected! And, my honey said,"I don't know why you two make such a fuss over this old gun...it's not even shiny!"
I'm working on getting some pictures done, but I'm planning to take a ride with this
symbol of my family's time range- 88 Y's. ago it was made - and now the right "NIMROD"
owns it. And I guarantee you....I can shoot it!

P.S. No metal damage- wood is beat up like it went thru the brambles & back- no cracks,
but a few gouges - Forearm is perfect- side breach is silver-I think from ware/not sanded-yes the top lever is slightly askew/rt. - bores are shiny perfect - no pitting anywhere -
yes, pistol grip, nice and thin, i.e.I have a small hand - screws are slightly off horizontal
and under slung screws are pointing at 12 o'clock at 1/Th up- the action is tight and no way does anything wiggle. WHAT'S AN "SN"? AND, WE WERE POOR FACTORY WORKERS-
and I do everything with good ethics, proud integrity, and don't shoot "HENS"!
Gentleman Hunters never Cheat...and Cheaters never win!
God Bless! DON DABRO

Jack Cronkhite
08-03-2010, 10:11 AM
SN = Serial Number. Yours is listed in "the book"
Jack

Lee St.Clair
08-04-2010, 02:35 AM
Hello Mr. Dabro,
Welcome to the forum!! I have the need to inform you a little bit more(you may also want to make your gf aware of this). You have been exposed to a very contagious disease to which there is no known cure. Many of these guys wives have been working on a cure for years(they meet in private when their husbands are out getting their 'fix'). It is 'parkeritis'. As your girlfriend will find out it can get a bit pricey to keep the craving satiated. She can join the group searching for the cure by donating your parker, as to help you and the cause. :whistle: Blessings. Lee