PDA

View Full Version : First Parker

william weber
07-03-2009, 02:29 PM
This is my first post. In my younger days I hunted with Parker 12's,16's, Sterling Fox and LCSmiths. I was never lucky enought to own one. Finally after 66 years I have my very own Parker. Thanks to this site I have the following information. But I still have some questions.
ser# 65446
Date built 1891
12 Gauge
Frame size 1
Weight of barrels 4'3
Type steel (T) ???????
Grade (P) ?????
Type steel. Twist ( found on the rib )
The barrels have no bluing but are nice and clean, bores look good. Stock is in good shape. Over all a nice used Parker.
My questions are. I can not find anything on Grade P or on type (T) steel barrels. Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce Day
07-03-2009, 03:27 PM
The Parker Story, available through The Double Gun Journal, is the best Parker reference book.

Also, see this website's home page for an example catalog page which contains a description.

Twist barrels are not supposed to be blued.

You should check your barrels with a bore mic to see if they have been honed, and if they have, with a wall thickness gauge to determine whether there is adequate wall thickness remaining. Its best to do that before purchase.

Don Kaas
07-03-2009, 03:34 PM
You have an early Grade 1 (PH) hammerless Parker. Many of the early hammerless 12 gauge guns were built on the #1 frame. At the time this grade of gun with Twist steel barrels was the basic Parker. The barrels were not "blued" originally but were finished in a "black and white" style like most American guns of the periods. An number of people like Dale Edmonds now specialize in re-doing these barrels in the original finish. Parker records indicate your gun was a 12g 30" pistol grip. Over 8,000 guns like yours were made in 12 gauge with 30" barrels. If the barrels are sound with good wall thickness and no severe pitting, they can be fed low pressure loads from companies like RST. Good luck with it.

william weber
07-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Thank you Bruce & Don. I will do as you suggested. I am looking forward to hunting rabbits with this shotgun. Does anyone have an idea of what its worth. I am wondering if I got taken. Thanks again