PDA

View Full Version : Track and train collars

Rick Losey
07-17-2017, 03:32 PM
Simple question

Most likely a complex answer

I am looking to get a new collar and want to add tracking

This will be mostly used on a retriever - so lots of water. And rough cover

So. Personal reviews and experience with the Garmin Alpha vs the Sportdog TEK 2.0

I am wondering about

durability
Use in heavy cover
Ease of use -screens and such

Just missed a sale on the Sportdog - I expect it will be back before season and Garmin is offering a rebate for a while

Gary Laudermilch
07-17-2017, 06:16 PM
I don't have any experience with the combination collars but have used a Garmin Astro for a number of years now. My experience has been a positive one. It works well, battery life is reasonable(but I do not have any maps loaded), and it does what I need it to do. I only use a small part of its total functionality. My main screen is a compass rose with a color coded arrow for each dog. Arrow points to the dog and tells me how far away he is. I keep it in my pocket until the bells go silent and then get it out to get a fix on the dog, put it away and start walking. I admit to using the go to truck function a time or two. Out of curiosity I look at the distance traveled screen to see just how far the dogs run. That feature is an eye opener. I am very pleased with the unit and have had no problems with it and believe me it is not babied. The dog units are worn so hard the molded in Garmin name is barely visible - worn off in grouse cover.

Phillip Carr
07-17-2017, 06:41 PM
I have not used the Sportdog track and train but. Have been using the Garmin/Tritonics for about 10 years. Upgraded from the Astro to the Alpha 100 when it came out. The newest equipment is even lighter which my hunting partner owns. Out here in the Southwest it's as important as my shotgun, simply will not go out with the dogs without it. I only use a few features as it has everything most GPS handhelds have today. Like Gary I use about 4 main features. I like to track my dogs, get alerts when they go on point. My pointers usually are ranging 150 to 200 yards up the canyons, and with my hearing I cannt hear a bell further than a few yards. I like to know where the truck is, mark a few waypoints, and if your hunting partner has a unit you know where he is. Best money I have spent. These units are weather proof and can take a lot of abuse.
http://parkerguns.org/forums/images/beige_noir/attach/jpg.gif

Phillip Carr
07-17-2017, 06:50 PM
http://parkerguns.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55588&stc=1&d=1500331752

Phillip Carr
07-17-2017, 06:53 PM
http://parkerguns.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=55589&stc=1&d=1500331968

Stephen Hodges
07-17-2017, 11:43 PM
Alpha 100:)

Phillip Carr
07-18-2017, 02:57 AM
I like the ability to set different correction levels for each dog as well as the tone button. If you have ever spent a stressful hour or two looking for a lost dog you will appreciate the ability to know where your dog is located at all times.
Like all touch screens it can be frustrating when you are walking and the screen changes, but learn to lock the screen and that problem is solved.

John Dallas
07-18-2017, 08:57 AM
I'm old school. My dogs have never had a collar on them, and seem to have done OK. Tar, who is now at Rainbow Bridge, had over 1200 retrieves, and Daisy is somewhere in the 200's. I enjoy training my dogs, and must admit that I really don't like the looks of a dog with all that electronics draped around his neck

Rick Losey
07-18-2017, 10:29 AM
Thanks John glad it works for you

But

Even though I have always run a bell on a setter, with a hearing loss since childhood compounded by age - I cannot tell where the dog is any longer and for the setters when on point it becomes a search - when you cannot locate your dog for an extended period of time and you start to worry its a lot less fun. I tried the remote activated beeper but determining direction is also an issue

For the duck dog. In the heavy cover it will let me know if he is on line or trailing a cripple

I collar condition my dogs as a safety issue. Neither my dogs nor I are perfect, and when my recently passed setter became hard of hearing, it allowed us to stay in contact as long as we could see each other. A light touch and he would look to me for hand signs. When we could not see each other, we were both lost and often got separated

chris dawe
07-19-2017, 06:45 AM
I can vouch for Phils equipment ,it works fantastic !

Scot Cardillo
07-19-2017, 12:30 PM
Alpha 100

durability - well made and withstands harsh environments, inclusive of water.

Use in heavy cover - same as above (normal rules apply - be certain the collar is adjusted properly so it does not get hung up on branches etc).

Ease of use -screens and such - the beauty of the Alpha is how sophisticated it is. It can be set up to perform multiple functions or it can be set up as a straight forward and simple device. I prefer straight forward and, simple. The ability to hunt quietly and to know where the dog is at all times is tremendeous. Could even save the dogs life in some circumstances. I use the tone on the collar as a recall / check in with me command. I've also found my dog deep, deep in the thick with a Rooster pinned b/c the Alpha told me that the dog is on point. Crawling flat on my belly in order to get to him kind of thick, literally.

Frankly, I much prefer the simplicity and functionality of what is now the Garmin Tri-Tronics Pro 550, especially for training. That said, the upsides of the Alpha are very, very tough to beat. I'm certain you would not regret the purchase.

One further caveat - I would prefer my dogs not wear a collar at all.

Rick Losey
07-19-2017, 01:14 PM
Until the English Setters actually learn to speak English

And are able to come back to me to say. "hey. I found a bird over there - let's go get him"

I am afraid they will wear one. Besides I always have name address and cell number on the collar, in case they do get lost

Now - someone can say "I never carry a phone out hunting" :rolleyes:
:rotf:

Harold Lee Pickens
07-20-2017, 11:52 AM
I have yet to go the GPS collar route, but certainly can see their usefulness. I hope the learning curve to use them is not too great for my electronically challenged mind.
I do really like my Dogtra beeper/e collar/ locator collar to locate my dog if it is out of sight or on point. I dont always use the beeper point mode when hunting by myself, and if my dogs are not on point, hitting the locator beeper will bring them back in, instead of blowing the whistle. If i had it to do over again, I would order the 2 dog unit as I often hunt them as a brace.

Eric Eis
07-20-2017, 05:50 PM
I'm with Harold, if it's fairly simple to use I would be interested. I bought the original Garmin Astro collar and it's not user friendly for someone that is electronically challenged ! :eek:I also use a Dogtra collar and if it had a GPS on it that would be great, one that showed where the truck was and where the dog is, is that too much to ask, nothing else............

Rick Losey
07-20-2017, 05:57 PM
one that showed where the truck was and where the dog is, is that too much to ask, nothing else............

Eric- i think the Garmin is also a stand alone GPS - so it would do that

Scot Cardillo
07-20-2017, 06:36 PM
I stated that I keep my unit (Alpha) simple but, I didn't share how simple.

Like others have shared, my unit displays a compass screen with an arrow that points to the dog and a number that shows his distance. It really doesn't get more simple than that. If pup goes on point (or does the drop and roll on a dead critter) the unit will send you a notification. The buttons for tone and stim are right on the front of the unit at the ready. The screens, if not locked are a real pita b/c they'll switch on you as you walk - just lock the screen and your golden.

Since it's GPS, you can set up way points, mark special landmarks, honey holes, etc etc. Further, if one gets brave enough, you can plug it into your computer and review not only a visual of both yours and the dogs tracks overlaid against a map but, also the data corresponding to the tracks. I think Gary said that was a real eye opener for him..he's right, it is. For every mile you trek, your dog does 3 to 4 miles. I'll do 15 or more miles a day myself sometimes..do the math..dog deserves that extra treat and a soft pillow after the hunt.

It's a very powerful tool but that doesn't mean you have to use every feature. After a short orientation period, I'd be willing to bet you'd get to feeling pretty squirrelly and a little rebellious - before you know it you'd be using several of the features that the unit offers.

Phillip Carr
07-20-2017, 08:31 PM
If a person wishes they can "Hide" the programs they do not want to see. You can also change the order of the Apps. I have the 6 basic apps I use on the front of the screen when I turn it on. If you take the time to read the operating instructions and play with it before you go to the field you should be fine. Garmins support is also great. Also nice if you have a hunting partner that is savvy to help you.

Gary Laudermilch
07-21-2017, 02:24 PM
I'm not sure how you could make the Astro much easier to use especially if you do not use the fancy stuff. Turn it on, there is a button for that; access the dog screen, there is a button for that; put it in your pocket and go hunting.

I did spend some time over a few cups of coffee customizing my unit. I use the same color collars on the same dog all the time. So I customized via internal menus the color of the dog indicator arrows. Blue for Willie and red for Jake. The arrows now match their collar color and I always know which is which. I also customized a menu to see only what I use. For example, the first menu option is to <start a new hunt> which clears the dog track log and starts a new one and then prompts me to decide if I want to save the location as the truck. At <yes> it deletes the old truck location and logs in the new one. The second menu option is <Go To> where you select "Truck" at the prompt and are then provided navigation info to the vehicle. Most of the time I never need this function and never get beyond the dog screen.

Warning: it is very easy to get caught up in all the gee whiz stuff that these units provide and then the complexity of use increases. If it is simple you desire they can be operated very effectively as such.

I forgot to mention the dog track function. The unit always stores the dog track data with no input from you. It amazes me what our canine athletes do in the course of a hunt. On a one hour run I regularly see about 10 mile dog tracks. Last year I hunted for the first time a 150 acre clearcut that was as thick as they get. It was so thick that I decided to walk the perimeter and let the dogs do the heavy lifting. In the 2.5 hours it took me to circumnavigate the cut I saw the dogs about 10% of the time but still always knew where they were via the gps. At the conclusion I checked the track log and noted the old guy(11) had run 27 miles and his young partner(5) had run 25. And that is not running trails or open country. It is through some of the thickest crap nature provides. When I got home I overlaid the dog track on an aerial photo of the cut and the result put a smile on my face. With no direction or help from me there was not one 10 sq. yd patch of that cover that did not have a dog track through it. The boys were doing their job, covering ground, finding birds, and taking it easy on the old man by letting him walk the easy stuff.

Harold Lee Pickens
07-21-2017, 10:12 PM
Gary, you and Scott have convinced me that I could use one of these, though I don't have problems with big running dogs--yet, new pup is only 2 weeks old. Young dog, Fancy does not like the beeper function on my collar, so I don't use it with her, just a bell and use a quick locator beep if I don't know where she is at. Those collars should be great for late season pheasant hunting when birds are really jumpy. Good to hear real life experiances with these and not just magazine adds. I am really not that technologically challenged, so I am sure I could be on a quick learning curve.

Rick Losey
07-22-2017, 10:57 AM
so - its not a new problem :rotf::rotf::rotf:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/kXAAAOSwxg9ZbPB7/s-l1600.jpg

Scot Cardillo
07-22-2017, 11:11 AM
Harold, if you acquire the collar and find that you like it - you're welcome :D

If you hate it - it's Gary's fault, probably shouldn't have listened to him :whistle:

I'm certain that you will be pleased with it.

Phillip Carr
07-22-2017, 11:16 AM
EXCELLENT!!!!

Richard Dow
08-20-2017, 04:53 PM
O.H.: I just saw this thread and by now I'm sure you have your collar and that you are enjoying it. I just want to mention a couple of things. 1) I'm on my 3rd Astro. The 1st one developed lines across the screen. On the second one the screen froze. The 3rd one works perfectly. Garmin took care of everything quickly. Customer service is very good. I advise that you use your unit as much as possible before the warranty is over. The replacement warranty is 90 days after the full year is over so I used mine every day and it works great. I have two friends with the same units and they have had no problems. 2) The improvement I could suggest for the Astro 100 is they get away from the touch screen. It's tough to use in the winter. I also have a new Garmin Sport Pro and it is very easy to use (Push buttons-no tracking.) The Astro screen could be brighter (for old eyes) but the technology for that may not be available yet.
I have lost my Gordon twice at least and the Astro really helps my comfort level. I should also mention the battery life is very good. Best RD

Dennis Yager
08-20-2017, 07:16 PM
Just bought an Alpha 100/TT 15 $100 rebate till Sept 10, 2017. It also rang up with significant sale price at cabelas