PDA

View Full Version : Cleansing of the Senses...

Greg Baehman
07-03-2009, 10:10 AM
My candidate for "cleansing of the senses" is flyfishing DePuy Spring Creek near Livingston, MT. I was fortunate to time this year's trip with the emergence of the PMD's and near perfect weather.

With the Absaroka Range in the distant and the Gallatin Range behind you'd be hard pressed to find a more idyllic setting than this:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o166/bamb00zler/DePuySpringCreek004.jpg

Bruce Day
07-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Beautiful, beautiful. Both Lon Morris and I were fortunate to work in the Absarokas and Lon lives close by over in Roberts. Lon was a guide in the Absarokas and I worked for the National Park Service on fire and trail crew where those mountains are. Some time ago, I posted some photos of a fishing trip which turned out to be snowed under and shifted to a cowboy bar hopping trip in Montana. The Grizzly Bar in Absaroka was at the foot of the mountains.

So how about some fish and reel and rod photos? Otherwise Greg, we'll think you were worm fishing for bullhead with a J C Higgins rod and baitcasting reel.

Did you go after the UP shoot? If before, I would have loved to have talked about it with you. Maybe we'll meet at the Duluth shoot.

Greg Baehman
07-03-2009, 11:30 AM
We drove out Friday and Saturday after the UP Shoot, I took the above photo this past Tuesday, July 1st. We fished Sunday, Monday and Tuesday and returned home late Wednesday nite after a 17 hour drive straight through from Livingston, MT to Wausau, WI

Unfortunately, I didn't take any pics of the fish I caught---wish I had for you skeptics! I can assure you, with my right hand raised and my left hand resting palm down on TPS, that I caught and released several rainbows, browns and a cutthroat from 14"-19" long on PMD dries---emergers fished dry, duns and spinners...none were caught on worms using a J. C. Higgins rod and a bait casting reel! Incidently, I only fish cane.

Bruce Day
07-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Sure, sure. Zebco then. Bullheads and suckers. Salmon eggs and cheese corn.

Talk to you at Duluth. Heading off Mon to Philmont in northern NM for a two week trek. I should be getting a new 4/5 wt C W Jenkins bamboo by the end of summer. Always fun to talk cane.

Dave Fuller
07-03-2009, 03:41 PM
Here's a "reel" story... I visited Al Bellinger at his home workshop today and came home with quite a nice 3" hand-made fly reel. American sporting craftsmanship is not dead! Al is one of the nicest people I have ever met and his legacy of making hand-crafted reel seats, rods, and these gorgeous reels puts him among the all-time greats. Here's Al holding the reel he sold me.

Dave Fuller
07-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Needless to say, Al has quite a collection of his reels. The large Salmon and Spey reels are stunning.

Dave Fuller
07-03-2009, 03:47 PM
This one looks nice on a cane rod, no?

Dave Fuller
07-03-2009, 03:49 PM
He even threw in a hand-made screw driver that fits the rim screws perfectly.

Bruce Day
07-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Very nice, Dave. While American fine gun maufacturers struggle and mostly have gone, we have today some of the best of the best makers of fine bamboo rods and handmade reels. Bellinger, Bogdan, Sweetgrass, C W Jenkins, Bob Summers, many others.

Dave Fuller
07-03-2009, 05:29 PM
True indeed, meeting Mr B. was a great pleasure. The wares of these fine craftsmen can eat into ones gun money however.

Bruce Day
07-03-2009, 05:54 PM
The wares of these fine craftsmen can eat into ones gun money however.[/QUOTE]

Yes indeed.

Greg Baehman
07-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Your collection of Bogdans is only exceeded by your collection of Parkers, Bruce!

True story: Several years ago I ordered a Baby Bogdan. At the time of order I was told there was a considerable waiting time--perhaps years for one to be built. I patiently waited about 4 years and finally contacted Steve Bogdan (Stan had retired in the interim) to see what was up. Within a month I had my Baby Bogdan. I was so proud of obtaining flyfishing's Holy Grail that I never used it. It sat on display on my roll top desk collecting dust for a couple of years. I don't like dusting, so in a weak moment I sold it at a goodly profit...wish I hadn't done that!

Dave, while fishing DePuy's this past week I met an up and coming cane rod builder by the name of Larry Donahe www.donahesplitcanerods.com Larry was fishing one of his rods mounted with a Bellinger reel as well as Bellinger reel seat and ferrules. The entire outfit was of incredible craftsmanship. Larry told me that Al Bellinger was planning on retiring soon---so you're fortunate to own one of his reels.

Dave Fuller
07-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Greg, Al has "retired" already, sort of. He sold the original business but he and his son Jeff still make the reels in Al's basement (which is a really nice set-up). He's 76 I think. Everything else is still made over at their original facility in Salem.

Bruce, Nice collection, two of them look big enough to handle a bass plug over on Clinton Lake!

All, If you like cane rods come out to Oregon for the Metolius River Fly Fishing & Bamboo Rod Fair, July 18th and 19th. http://www.campshermanstore.com/events.php Its right up the road from Kearcher's place.

Tom Carter
07-14-2009, 08:04 PM
I am no expert on bamboo rods but I do have a 5 weight 7 1/2 foot Tonkin Bamboo Amulet made by Dave Cambell in Eagle River, Alaska, that I am very pleased with. I have never owned another so I have no comparison with other makers. And I did not have to morgage the homestead to buy it. Cheers, Tom

Dave Fuller
07-15-2009, 10:20 AM
Tom,

Warning! Warning! Rod and reel collecting can be just as infectious as gun collecting. The pride of ownership and joy of use that comes from fine equipment like those Bogdan reels that Mr Day shared with us earlier in this thread is quite similar to that which comes from a fine shotgun.

One's too many and a hundred ain't enough!

Dave

Tom Carter
07-15-2009, 01:58 PM
Dave, Truer words have never been spoken.

Cheers, Tom