PDA

View Full Version : Puppies -Lets see them while they were still cute

Rick Losey
06-24-2017, 09:10 AM
great idea for a forum- how about a look at those awww pics when that furniture/boot/cat chewer stole your ( and hopefully spouse's) heart

This is Macallan - taken by the breeder just before we picked him up (i won't post a picture of the new set Thomasville Chippendale dining chairs i just located and bought to replace the set he chewed up when he was a pup :rolleyes:)

http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=692&pictureid=8129

Kirk Potter
06-24-2017, 01:45 PM
My English setter Willow, March 2013.. 8 weeks old.

Paul Ehlers
06-24-2017, 06:24 PM
One of my French Brit's Fox.

First Pictures are of him at 8 weeks old in North Dakota. I picked him up on the way to ND. The other is during training in his first year. As you can see, he has a rough life!!

Rick Losey
06-24-2017, 07:09 PM
Old Hemlock Griffin

at 12 weeks

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/setterw/IMGP0217.jpg

OH Osthaus had pointed and retrieved the bird and when we got back to the truck i tossed it out to see what the understudy would do

and he did what the breeding said he should

Rick Losey
06-24-2017, 07:16 PM
and - the reason for my screen name

Old Hemlock Osthaus
at 8 weeks

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/setterw/Osthaustroublecropped-1.jpg

Stephen Hodges
06-24-2017, 10:08 PM
Jornada Cody at 11 weeks, and then at 16 weeks with his full brother, Jornada Star.

chris dawe
06-25-2017, 08:26 AM
The day I brought him home ...

Rick Losey
06-25-2017, 09:43 AM
BTW - the above shot of Osthaus was when he came home

this is at about 5 or 6 weeks when he picked me

http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg195/setterw/Osthauswhomecropped.jpg

Gary Carmichael Sr
06-27-2017, 08:36 AM
Jolie at 8 weeks,

Dean Romig
06-27-2017, 02:14 PM
The first time Grace and I met we bonded for a lifetime. (that's Graces tongue, not mine :eek: )

Robbie Payne
07-04-2017, 10:47 PM
What started three years ago as a farm companion for my 10 year old son turned out to be more dog than we bargained for. What else to do but jump into hunt tests and field trials!

Proud of little Smokey but extra proud of a shy boy who is now handling his own young dog in trials/tests!

Gary Laudermilch
07-04-2017, 10:50 PM
Boys and dogs belong together and these two certainly prove that. Such a joy to see and hear.

Garry L Gordon
07-05-2017, 12:26 PM
Thanks to Rick for suggesting this thread.

It got me to thinking about our Peat. Peat was the only pup from a breeding of ours from two proven hunters that we had shot lots of birds over. The tragedy was that he lost his back foot (you can see this in the picture of him just after he was born) when his mother accidentally bit it off while attending to him at birth.

Peat's a special dog. I trained him and he has hunted faithfully (and hard!) in spite of his "disability," showing more courage than I would have under the circumstances, I'm sure. One season when our other veteran dog at the time mysteriously dropped dead while retrieving a grouse in northern Minnesota, Peat was my only trained dog (we only had a small pup at the time). Peat hunted as much as I would let him that season. Some hunts I had to help him get up out of ditches that were too steep, but he never lost his desire. Bird numbers were the worst I've ever experienced here in northern Missouri that season, but Peat and I went as often as prudent and managed to find a few coveys. In spite of the bad conditions, it was a special season.

Peat's ten now and in semi-retirement. He refuses to stay home when he knows we are going bird hunting, and is happy to get out if only to sniff the other dogs' birds. This past season, near the end of January, we had hunted out a farm in Iowa and were getting ready to head home. I had put my gun away and my wife let Peat out to stretch his legs while I was getting us ready to leave. After a minute or two she called that he was on point just down the fence line. I did not believe her, thinking it was just "Peat being Peat," but my wife urged me to come and look. I saw him down the fence line with as good a point as I'd ever seen him have. I had to uncase my gun, find two shells and hurry down to his point. He held the entire time and when I finally got to him and walked in, two quail got up. By the grace of God, I shot both for him. He was so happy he could barely contain himself. Needless to say, my wife and I shared his happiness. Time may take Peat away from us, but it cannot take that one season, nor that day from us.

Enjoy your pups. They leave us too quickly.

Dean Romig
07-06-2017, 10:21 AM
And what a beautiful dog he is!

"Peat" for his coloring?

Garry L Gordon
07-06-2017, 05:09 PM
And what a beautiful dog he is!

"Peat" for his coloring?

Thanks very much, Dean. We've been naming our dogs using the theme of honoring some part of where we hunt -- Sage, Briar, Lichen, Moss, Cedar, Alder...and Peat to date.

Harold Lee Pickens
07-07-2017, 02:48 PM
Fancy whelped 4 females and 1 male today, unfortunately 2 other males were stillborn.
All seem to be doing well. I am keeping a female, probably the one with the black mask. All the others are orange and white. I will be posting pictures as they get older. The pups were due tomorrow, but I knew last night they would come sooner, i could tell by her restlessness. My friend Mike, who gave Fancy to me from one of his litters, came over and helped my wife, as I left for work before she started delivering.

Dean Romig
07-07-2017, 03:33 PM
Congratulations Harold!

Too bad about the two stillborns. We just have no control over these things.

Garry L Gordon
07-07-2017, 06:35 PM
A wonderful occasion! Life begins for all with a litter. You will have your hands full...and enjoy every minute. Thanks for sharing your new pups with us.

Harold Lee Pickens
07-07-2017, 08:27 PM
Fancy and pups

Harold Lee Pickens
07-07-2017, 09:08 PM
Certainly, they are not much to look at now, but in a few weeks they will be a lot of fun.
Indoctrinated them to the sounds of the classical guitar tonight--their favorite song was "Blackbird", put them all to sleep. I think 4 out of the 5 pups already have homes, so will have no problems there.

Harold Lee Pickens
07-08-2017, 01:59 PM
Starting them down the straight and narrow path

Brett Hoop
07-08-2017, 05:10 PM
Harold

They look wonderful! I can't look at gun dog pups and see anything but hope and promise.

Garry L Gordon
07-08-2017, 05:20 PM
Harold

They look wonderful! I can't look at gun dog pups and see anything but hope and promise.

Amen. It will make an old man young again.

davidboyles
07-11-2017, 08:19 PM
Fancy and pups
Harold miss seeing you guys from the Southern. Have had the chance to follow up with a few folks I met there and they have been helpful on some important gunsmith questions and evaluating an Internet Seller and a refurbished gun I decided to pass on due to their advice. Nothing like building a network system in our hobby. Liked your pups they have a good human daddy. My Brit turns 7 years old Friday OMG how time flys. Have put together some cool hunting and fishing trips for this year and next just waiting out the 100+ heat now. Best to you and your friends. Have picked up 2 new toys in spite of denting the war chest considerably at the Southern. Regards David

davidboyles
07-11-2017, 09:18 PM
Fancy and pups
Harold miss seeing you guys from the Southern. Have had the chance to follow up with a few folks I met there and they have been helpful on some important gunsmith questions and evaluating an Internet Seller and a refurbished gun I decided to pass on due to their advice. Nothing like building a network system in our hobby. Liked your pups they have a good human daddy. My Brit turns 7 years old Friday OMG how time flys. Have put together some cool hunting and fishing trips for this year and next just waiting out the 100+ heat now. Best to you and your friends. Have picked up 2 new toys in spite of denting the war chest considerably at the Southern. Regards David

MARK KIRCHER
07-14-2017, 10:20 AM
Adele (Ellie) took her first boat ride and jump into the Vanderbilt Marsh yesterday. Wont be long till she's "On the job" waiting for the splash!!

charlie cleveland
07-14-2017, 11:02 AM
man and dog were surely made for each other...charlie

Harold Lee Pickens
07-14-2017, 12:18 PM
David, it certainly was great to meet and shoot with you and your daughter at Drakes this year. Hopefully, you can make it an annual event.
Had a little scare with momma Fancy and her pups, but all is well now. One pup was the runt of the litter, and did not appear that she was thriving, and Fancy, despite eating well seemed to be unable to stand or walk. She couldnt get out of the whelping box without being carried out, and would fall over when trying to pee. Started feeding the little one some replacement formula(for dogs) with a bottle, and packed up Fancy and the litter to our vet(Karl Yurko,DVM). After a day of IV's Fancy is back to normal, and happy to say the little female is doing great and feeding voraciously on her own. She is still much smaller than the other pups, but is healthy. Pups are 1 week old today, and are fat little piggies. Will post more pictures when ther eyes open and they are moving around more. I have my eye on a little tri-colr female.

davidboyles
07-15-2017, 08:19 AM
I'm on the porch watching the sunrise and your story made me tear up. Dessa my Brittany is beside me she was 7 /2 days ago. For such a short time we have them. Had trigger finger surgery 2 weeks ago and going great. The Grant I bought at the Southern has given me some safety problems but have it sorted out to return home Monday. Along with the English is my new pride and joy a mint 1919 28 ga VHE 28" barrels all original out of Midland TX. So lucky to get from great granddaughter. Haven't even shot yet had to get a slight split in forensics repaired first. Finally a Parker 28 I can call my own. Best to you and your pups and mommy. I'm counting the days til dove season about 45 now.

Rich Anderson
07-15-2017, 10:31 AM
I sent the deposit out today for a GSP pup that will be whelped in September. At 13 Daisy needs some help and I finally convinced the wife that I NEEDED another dog. Time will tick slowly from here on in.

davidboyles
07-15-2017, 11:23 AM
Rich good for you, have that dog ready for me to hunt over in 2019. 28 vhe returns Mon

tom tutwiler
07-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Here's my Sophie as a pup with my Golden Gracie:

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1725/11830643/23023841/413466824.jpg

Tom Jay
07-15-2017, 08:55 PM
Photos of my now 2.5 year old Llewellin setter, Max (Highland Maximus Wind'em). Max is the little one on the right of the feeding bowl. Doesn't get any better.

Harold Lee Pickens
07-18-2017, 01:03 PM
Growing like weeds

Stephen Hodges
07-18-2017, 03:31 PM
They look great Harold, keep the pictures coming as they grow:)

Scot Cardillo
07-19-2017, 09:56 AM
Here's a few of Kansas

Gary Laudermilch
07-19-2017, 10:24 AM
And a few of Jake, my youngster. The last photo is his first bird at 8 months.

Harold Lee Pickens
07-30-2017, 04:03 PM
1st time out

James J. Roberts
07-31-2017, 03:59 PM
Harold,Are there any of the pup's for sale? J.J.

Stephen Hodges
07-31-2017, 05:49 PM
Harold, your pups are to cute!!!! Very good looking dogs, and I bet will be all sold in no time. Here is my soon to be 6 month old Cody on a hot summer day in New Hampshire, trying to cool off...............and he is from New Mexico, go figure:)

Harold Lee Pickens
07-31-2017, 10:24 PM
All natural stress relief

Harold Lee Pickens
07-31-2017, 10:35 PM
JJ, 3 out of the 5 pups are spoken for, and I have several other interested seriously, so unfortunately probably not--but you never know, and if things change, I may contact you.
I am having a real hard time deciding which one of the females I am going to take, got it narrowed down to 2, just having fun with them at this point

Harold Lee Pickens
08-07-2017, 09:07 AM
Good morning, Parker friends

Harold Lee Pickens
08-07-2017, 09:13 AM
Try again

Rich Anderson
08-07-2017, 09:14 AM
Good morning to you Harold.

Gary Laudermilch
08-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Good morning, Harold. Your puppy pictures are killing me. Still trying to fight the urge to get another one and that bunch of yours is sure stirring the urge.

I think those guys/girls are saying, "this whelping box stuff is history, open the door we want to run"!

Brett Hoop
08-07-2017, 11:30 AM
The places they will go, the things they will see, the memories they wil make. It's all a new frontier with a pup.

Eric Eis
08-07-2017, 12:08 PM
Harold, I'll take the pup on the right !

Harold Lee Pickens
08-07-2017, 12:14 PM
Sorry Eric, that's probably the one I'm keeping--a female. Yes the sliding sun room door opens into a fenced yard so the puppies are getting a good bit of time outside and giving momma a break. They play hard and then just crash

Eric Eis
08-07-2017, 02:40 PM
Sorry Eric, that's probably the one I'm keeping--a female.

Figures...............:banghead:

King Brown
08-08-2017, 01:05 PM
How about some opinions of turning a four-year-old stud and pro field trialer, a laser-guided missile into a dog who does the job perfectly without pain avoidance, as have all my other Labs trained the old way (Training Your Retriever, the definitive classic by James Lamb Free) for the last 50 years?

There's not a speck of dirt in him. In fact, his affection and good manners are distinguishing characteristics, along with being the best-looking chocolate I've ever seen. I'm encouraged by his progress over the two months I've had him, filling a two-year void from the death of my great Jake from old age.

I'm not interested in trials and tests, a simulation of hunting as trap and skeet, nor performance derived from pressure-on-pressure off electronic pain avoidance. The old way of training provided a dimension of companionship experience better suited to me. I'm spending a lot of time with him and spitting occasionally in his mouth.

Appreciate your opinions.

Dean Romig
08-08-2017, 02:33 PM
"Spitting in his mouth'? I've never heard of such a thing... what is it said to accomplish?

The best advice I can give is to have extreme patience and above all, total consistency.

Rich Anderson
08-08-2017, 02:51 PM
Maybe he's giving the pooch a smooch:rotf:

King Brown
08-08-2017, 06:08 PM
I got a ragging about spitting when I mentioned it a couple years ago on the other board. Here's the back-story: when an earlier Jake died a few months before duck season, I asked around where I might find a dog. A buddy mentioned a man in a nearby town, a prominent businessman who had "ruined" his Lab by overzealous handling to make the junior nationals but my buddy said he was a good dog.

Turned out he was all of that although an embarrassment publicly to me when not hunting because just a look at him or say a harsh world would practically turn him on his back, four feet in the air. He couldn't look anyone in the eye, an affectionate, great retriever but broken. This went on for nearly two years until one day in the blind I remembered reading of a remedy many years previously in a hunting magazine.

I spat down his mouth, and sent another couple down for good luck. There was no change for maybe six or seven months. Then, over the next two months, he became a real dog again, making eye contact, a confident, hell-for-leather companion. I never lost a bird with him. Surprised no one heard of it. Made sense to me. It's in Hunting Dog Know-How, a book by David Michael Duffey, then Outdoor Life dog editor, page 155:

Referring to shyness, encouraging confidence ". . .one way to establish rapport between you and the dog, while you are petting and fussing with him, is by opening his mouth and spitting in it occasionally. Saliva is one of the first bonds between any dam and her young, through licking and cleaning, so you can often speed up a dog's acceptance of you by expectorating in his mouth. More than one horse has been coaxed and gentled with a gob of spit."

The investigation continues, as a departed and valued member here said more than once.

King Brown
08-08-2017, 06:24 PM
Dean, I think that's it: patience and consistency. I followed it over 50 years of training but couldn't have turned the ruined dog without it. That dog really trained me about patience and consistency. I couldn't raise my voice or make quick body movements.

Stephen Hodges
08-08-2017, 06:30 PM
Lets see some more puppies!!!!!!!

Scot Cardillo
08-09-2017, 08:41 AM
I got a ragging about spitting when I mentioned it a couple years ago on the other board. Here's the back-story: when an earlier Jake died a few months before duck season, I asked around where I might find a dog. A buddy mentioned a man in a nearby town, a prominent businessman who had "ruined" his Lab by overzealous handling to make the junior nationals but my buddy said he was a good dog.

Turned out he was all of that although an embarrassment publicly to me when not hunting because just a look at him or say a harsh world would practically turn him on his back, four feet in the air. He couldn't look anyone in the eye, an affectionate, great retriever but broken. This went on for nearly two years until one day in the blind I remembered reading of a remedy many years previously in a hunting magazine.

I spat down his mouth, and sent another couple down for good luck. There was no change for maybe six or seven months. Then, over the next two months, he became a real dog again, making eye contact, a confident, hell-for-leather companion. I never lost a bird with him. Surprised no one heard of it. Made sense to me. It's in Hunting Dog Know-How, a book by David Michael Duffey, then Outdoor Life dog editor, page 155:

Referring to shyness, encouraging confidence ". . .one way to establish rapport between you and the dog, while you are petting and fussing with him, is by opening his mouth and spitting in it occasionally. Saliva is one of the first bonds between any dam and her young, through licking and cleaning, so you can often speed up a dog's acceptance of you by expectorating in his mouth. More than one horse has been coaxed and gentled with a gob of spit."

The investigation continues, as a departed and valued member here said more than once.

It’s actually true that subordinates in a wolf pack lick the mouth of the leader but..you’re claiming that you spit in your dogs mouth and seven months later it was transformed into a confident dog again. Really?

How about working patiently with the dog and setting-up situations so that the dog is likely to succeed? A baby-step forward here and there along with stern but always fair treatment coupled with praise for being the good dog he is for the "little things" seems to go a long way. Never hurts to just let a dog be a dog sometimes either (let 'em dig to china in all their dog glory every now and again - and not get in trouble for it)

King Brown
08-09-2017, 03:02 PM
MD-GSP, yes, your opinion is a big part of it but it's not so much setting up situations to succeed as much as shaping another discipline off the collar. This dog is a pro for games with four years of electronic training. I'm easing into "stern but fair treatment" off the shocks, to do it for me and not to avoid pain, to be a real dog as you say.

As for the old remedy "cure," who can say empirically the spit did it and not stern and fair repetition and patience? It seems to me old ways often stick around because of a fair measure of success, perhaps with even a better record of reality than the accepted supernatural that the earth was created 2,000 years ago.

The remedy has been around since at least before the last century, there's David Michael Duffey's 1965 book endorsement of spit in particular situations, and my own experience of a transformation from a completely broken spirit. There's no advantage to anyone to make it up. I suspect old-timers and professionals recommend it because it (sometimes) works.

Stephen Hodges
08-09-2017, 04:20 PM
Quote--"I'm easing into "stern but fair treatment" off the shocks, to do it for me and not to avoid pain, to be a real dog as you say."

Mr. Brown, if you choose to train your dog off the E Collar that is entirely your business, but please do no state that dogs that work with assistance of the E Collar are not "real dogs, as you say". My dogs are real dogs in every sense of the word and I use an E Collar judiciously to re-enforce my voice and whistle commands. I can control them from great distances and can stop them from crossing a busy highway in an instant, a great safety measure, or call them off a porcupine before they get seriously hurt, which I have done before. Oh, and your emphatic point that they are not doing it for me is pure malarkey in my book. Funny how when I break out the E Collars both dogs go berserk, not because they don't want them on but just the opposite, they DO want them on because they associate them with a pleasurable time hunting with ME in the field. Go ahead and spit all you want in your poor pooches mouth, I choose to skip that rather gross training method and feel a bit sorry for the dog. JMHO.

Rick Losey
08-09-2017, 05:31 PM
ok guys- not to be picky

but can we get back to puppy pics

maybe start a training method thread

Stephen Hodges
08-09-2017, 06:15 PM
Rick, I do not disagree with you but I have had enough of his nonsense, and I make no apologies for it.

King Brown
08-09-2017, 09:31 PM
Differences of opinion shouldn't involve rudeness, Steve. I accepted your earlier apology for not believing although there was no need for it. One size doesn't fit all.

Scot Cardillo
08-10-2017, 02:54 PM
King Brown..I'm glad you were able to straighten the dog out no matter the technique :cheers:

Now, to kick-start a return to topic..

It's a little blurry but, here’s a picture from a good number of yrs ago that puts a pretty wide smile on my face. This is a photo of my wife when she had been a young bride for all of about two months. She is lovingly holding the Shorthair that she bought for me as a wedding gift a week or two after we were married. Pups name was Tessa. We miss Tess every minute of every day.

..sure wish I was a little more camera happy back then - pics are few.

Harold Lee Pickens
08-22-2017, 12:24 PM
Nap time

Harold Lee Pickens
08-22-2017, 12:34 PM
Thank God for nap time!! The pups are 6 weeks old now, a lot of fun, but a lot of work--good thing Debbie is retired. I get swarmed when I sit out with them. the hem on my bath robe is in tatters, as I generally put them out at 6:00am when I get up.
I will probably keep the tri-color female, Willow(Willie), but that little all white female in the foreground, Doodle, keeps pulling at the old heart strings, she was the runt. Dare I keep 2, or should I say would I be foolish enough to keep 2.
Dean, you will soon have this dilemma.

Dean Romig
08-22-2017, 12:43 PM
I sure hope so.... she still hasn't come into heat.

I think I need to get her together with dogs in heat and she should immediately follow suit.

Scot Cardillo
08-22-2017, 01:02 PM
I have a tendency to pick pups showing independent confidence absent obnoxious dominance. Reserved boldness, if you will. Prey drive & natural ability in the field? Breeding does that work for you.

The pup you are considering keeping as a second (in the foreground) appears separate from the pack..to me, that's a tell. (maybe I'm nuts)

James J. Roberts
08-22-2017, 03:10 PM
The reason a dog has so many friends,he wags his tail instead of his tongue.:rotf: J.J.

Rick Losey
08-22-2017, 06:17 PM
two puppies at once :shock:

it would be interesting to hear from folks that have done it- rather than hijack the cute puppy thread after getting it back on line - i'll post the question in a conversation

Harold Lee Pickens
08-22-2017, 09:41 PM
Dean, I thought you had already bred Grace and that she was due in Sept--sorry, don't know why I thought that.
Rick, you are ,as always, so right--but I still might not be able to help myself

Harold Lee Pickens
08-23-2017, 08:32 AM
I have my own room here!

Dennis Yager
08-23-2017, 05:57 PM
Charlie 10 months

Harold Lee Pickens
08-31-2017, 12:53 PM
Saying goodbye to puppies, two were taken yesterday, ànd another will be gone this weekend. Bittersweet goodbye.

Stephen Hodges
08-31-2017, 01:13 PM
It is hard letting go of them. I raised a litter of Labs one time and never again. I wanted to keep them all:shock:

Rich Anderson
08-31-2017, 04:59 PM
I have had a litter of Shorthairs and one of Rottweiler's and even though you know they are going to be sold it's hard to say good bye.

Gunner was a product of the breeding of his Mom Ilsa to a male from the hunt club I belong to. I rationalized it as way of generating funds for an Alaskan hunting trip and I promised ever so faithfully that I wasn't going to keep any. The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.....and puppies and I wouldn't have changed a thing.

Scot Cardillo
08-31-2017, 07:39 PM
We kept our litter of five close - family & friends.

Here's a pic for you Rich - our neighbors Rottweiler (she basically lives with us) She and Kansas are like peas and carrots.

..to keep on topic - here's a snapshot of my first bird-dog (Deputy) when he was a pup and of course, Kansas when he was very young.

Rich Anderson
09-01-2017, 08:53 AM
Our Rott was one of the best dogs anyone could ask for. She gave us 13 years of love and friendship.

I'm looking forward to Charlie coming the end of April. He will be a started GSP.

Harold Lee Pickens
09-01-2017, 12:40 PM
Will be hard to let this little girl go tomorrow, the wife may cry

Harold Lee Pickens
11-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Here's a recent pic of my 2 little girls, Willow and Doodle taken on Up trip, . Unfortunately, they were too young to hunt, but they had a great time, and training is coming along nicely

Harold Lee Pickens
11-06-2017, 10:01 PM
Poor Willie(willow) started the trip getting extremely car sick, and hated to be put in the truck--she would start foaming at the mouth as soon as she was put in the dog kennel. Fortunately, she did get over it. Doodle had no problems, and is a quick learner. I would hide the grouse I shot, and the pups would find them.

Jay Gardner
11-06-2017, 10:30 PM
Just something special about setters

https://i.imgur.com/UHtHAekl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/sGwdlc3l.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/gTv2Y26l.jpg

Harold Lee Pickens
11-06-2017, 10:58 PM
Jay, you are so right, what a couple of beauties!!!!

Kirk Potter
11-07-2017, 06:06 AM
Poor Willie(willow) started the trip getting extremely car sick, and hated to be put in the truck--she would start foaming at the mouth as soon as she was put in the dog kennel. Fortunately, she did get over it. Doodle had no problems, and is a quick learner. I would hide the grouse I shot, and the pups would find them.

That’s funny, my Willow did the same thing when she was young.. She would start foaming at the mouth before I even started the truck!

Dave Tatman
11-07-2017, 08:34 PM
Jay, did you get a new pup to brace up with Tess??

Dave

Dean Romig
11-07-2017, 09:18 PM
Jay, I'm in love with that little tri-color sitting by your side.

This is my little girl Grace when we first bonded.

The second picture is yesterday at the vet counting her puppies.

Jay Gardner
11-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Dave;

Yes. The sire is from the same Pinecoble breeding that produced Tess and I expect her to be very similar to Tess in terms of personality and prey drive.

Dean;

Love tri-color setters, big Ryman-type setters. Best of luck to you and your Grace. When is she due?

Jay

Dave Tatman
11-07-2017, 11:18 PM
What a gorgeous pup, Jay. Congrats. It was great to see you this fall, but we must make a better plan for next year to bird hunt together again!

Dave

Dean Romig
11-08-2017, 06:49 AM
Dean;

Love tri-color setters, big Ryman-type setters. Best of luck to you and your Grace. When is she due?

Jay

Grace is due to whelp in the next few days. Tuesday is her due date but it could actually happen any time now. We're taking her temp twice a day now and it is a steady 100.2 but when it drops to 99 or 98.9 it's down to just hours.

Brett Hoop
11-08-2017, 07:17 AM
Dean

Now you'll have me wondering the when. How many are you expecting?

Dean Romig
11-08-2017, 07:48 AM
Vet says 7 but we think we see 8 and there might be another hiding someplace.
Grace is from a litter of 9 and her cousin had 11.

Eric Eis
11-08-2017, 09:01 AM
Dean do you have homes for all of them ?

Dean Romig
11-08-2017, 09:54 AM
Yes we do Eric. They are all, as we say in the 'trade', SPF but deposits have secured order of the pick.

Christian Fichtel
11-08-2017, 04:48 PM
The pup in the first picture, Harrison, is a little over three months old now. The picture was taken at around seven or eight weeks. I'm very excited about the potential that I'm seeing in him. He's my first Llewellin, and I can tell there are big things in store for this one.

The second dog is my current grouse companion here in the Southern mountains. He's never been on anything but wild birds, and while he was slow to develop as a result, he's turned into a wonderful dog. As you Brittany guys are aware, their natural expressiveness and temperment are hard to beat.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/troutbum764/3_1.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/troutbum764/media/3_1.jpg.html)

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y141/troutbum764/tuck1.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/troutbum764/media/tuck1.jpg.html)

Dean Romig
12-11-2017, 09:11 AM
Grace whelped eight beautiful puppies on November 17. They are all happy and healthy and have begun on 'puppy chow soup' today. This should be a welcome relief as their teeth have all erupted and boy are they sharp!

Jerry Harlow
12-17-2017, 06:48 PM
First hunting dog (hopefully) since my two English Setters died two decades ago, along with the bobwhites.