PDA

View Full Version : Parker Forearm Gouge Repair

John Lytle
07-22-2010, 11:07 AM
I have come into possession of a 16 gauge Parker VH. The gun was actually my great grandfathers and is in good condition. It has some honest dings and scrapes on it which are OK. It does have one significant flaw. The forearm (beavertail forearm) at some point in its life received a fairly significant gouge on the left side near the barrel. Hopefully I the pictures below show it effectively?

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a430/stripersonfly/IMGP4940.jpg

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a430/stripersonfly/IMGP4942.jpg

Any recommendations approach to repair? It seems to large for steaming and I am not certain all of the wood remains. Any recommendations on who I could have look at trying to repair?

Larry Frey
07-22-2010, 11:54 AM
John,
It appears that there is actually wood missing in the damaged area. I think it would be a fairly easy repair for someone who is a good wood worker. Post what state you are in and perhaps you will get some suggestions of a good wood man in your area.

Dean Romig
07-22-2010, 11:58 AM
David Trevallion in Maine can repair it and you'll never see the repair.

However, the checkering suggests the possibility on a non-original BTFE in which case such a repair might not be worth the expense.

Can we see photos of the entire forend?

John Lytle
07-22-2010, 12:38 PM
Thanks for the recommendation on David Travallion. I am in Massachusetts, so that could feasible.

Dean,

Below is a picture of the entire fore end. I am no expert, and do not know if either my grand father or uncle replaced the original fore end with an 'after market' one

http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/a430/stripersonfly/IMGP4943.jpg

Dean Romig
07-22-2010, 01:18 PM
Looks aftermarket to me but I've been wrong before. Where in MA do you live?

John Lytle
07-22-2010, 01:28 PM
Just north of you...in North Andover. Until you asked about where I lived I never looked at your location. :rotf:

Dean Romig
07-22-2010, 02:10 PM
Haha... what a coincidence. Give me a call 978-621-9338 maybe we can get together after the weekend. I'd like to see your Parker.

Dean

John Lytle
07-22-2010, 02:15 PM
Will do...would appreciate the offer.

Eric Eis
07-22-2010, 02:58 PM
John it looks aftermarket to me also but after you meet Dean you will know for sure. I do have a man here in MI that could fix that for not a lot of money he has done quite a few guns for me along with seven or eight members of the PGCA and I have never heard one complaint and that repair would probably be under a hundred bucks..

John Lytle
07-22-2010, 03:49 PM
Will do Eric. If the gun is not worth it I do not want to spend a ton of dough on it...but there is sentimental value so would like to get it fixed.

Russ Jackson
07-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Will do Eric. If the gun is not worth it I do not want to spend a ton of dough on it...but there is sentimental value so would like to get it fixed.

John ;Just to stick my nose in here a bit ,I am sure what Dean meant wasn't that the gun wasn't worth putting the money into for the repair ,but that if the fore end was an after market creation ,it in itself may not be worth investing in and possibly a replacement off an original or to put the money into having a new one made " Very Expensive " ,or just leave it as is , and just enjoy the sentimental value ,just the way it is !

phil anderson
10-30-2010, 11:04 AM
john you have a after market forearm. it can be repaired by cutting away the damage and replacing with old walnut,andthe checkering repointed, ican do it however i am in oklahoma. if you like call me at 405-301-5770. phil anderson