PDA

View Full Version : Well it's not a Parker, but...

Forrest Grilley
07-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Just had to pick up this Joseph Lang 12 bore when I came across it recently. The very good bores measure .725 and .728, and are choked cylinder and modified respectively. She weights 6.9 lbs. Overall it is a very solid gun with no major issues. I need to fit a new hinge pin to put it back on face, and slightly re-shape and re-engrave the right hammer which is a fairly close replacement. The barrels ring like a church bell, and there are no major wood problems to speak of. The barrels deserve a refinishing, and I haven't decided on how far I want to restore the rest of the metal/wood. She sure would like nice with a new color case, with cleaned wood and refreshed checkering. What do you guys think?

Can't wait to take her out after grouse and woodcock this fall.

Dean Romig
07-20-2010, 06:06 AM
Nice find! Is that lever straight or serpentine? By the shadows it almost looks to be serpentine. What is the barrel length?

Francis Morin
07-20-2010, 07:30 AM
Why tie it up with a gunsmith/refinisher for a long time- shoot it, if it's a snug tight, use some of Morris baker's great spreader loads-- Dean-- as Lang is the german word for Long- I would guess 30" barrels- what's your pick??:cool::cool::bigbye:

Forrest Grilley
07-20-2010, 07:38 AM
Nice find! Is that lever straight or serpentine? By the shadows it almost looks to be serpentine. What is the barrel length?

It is a straight lever, but the action can be opened with the hammers cocked which I have not seen before.

Yes, they are 30" barrels.

Richard Flanders
07-24-2010, 03:34 PM
I like the opening with the hammers cocked. That is a nice feature. You'll like that; it's safer. You can open it before letting the hammers down when around others or a dog. I think only my Remington hammer gun will do that.