PDA

View Full Version : NID safety

scott kittredge
07-17-2010, 02:14 PM
i have a NID 10 ga ithaca and the safety is hard to push forward the 1st time(with out shooting the gun) but when you do it the 2nd time it slides forward nice and ez. don't know why, just started to do this. i want to take it apart to clean it but don't know where to start. i do my parkers all the time. is it hard to open up the NID? thanks scott :corn:

Bob Jurewicz
07-18-2010, 06:43 PM
Scott.
Try a little "Break Free CLP" on the outside of the slide. It will wick in and may free things up. I've had this on a number on gun and it was a simple lub fix.
Bob Jureweicz

scott kittredge
07-19-2010, 05:05 PM
hi Bob, i have had the same thing happen to my parkers and what i found out it was a lot of dirt in the safety return rod. i did try to spray like you said but very hard to move forward. so i just wanted to take it apart to clean it but don't know the steps to do so. thanks scott

Bob Jurewicz
07-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Scott,
No real tricks to NId disassembly.
1. Triggerguard screw and guard removal.
2. Top tang and bottom tang screw.
3. 2 Trigger plate screws.
4. Trigger plate and assembly removal.
5. Everything comes appart.
Bob Jurewicz

Chuck Heald
11-12-2010, 03:31 PM
I've only had one NID apart, a 20g, but it required that I remove the sears to get the action out of the stock. Removing the triggerplate alone, would not do it. It was a single trigger gun, so that may have had something to do with it also. Seems to me the last time I took a Parker apart it was the same requirement...the sears had to come out before the action would come out of the stock. But, it's been so long, I can't recall clearly.

David Lien
11-12-2010, 08:38 PM
Scott be very carful when the floor plate comes off, as a small spring is easy to fall out, so find the spring before you turn the gun right side up. It sits in a hole in the middle of things, easy to see. Its function is to hold the top lever over.
Our man "Researcher Noreen" found me a #4 grade 2 7/8" ten at the big Reno Gun Show a few years back, this damn gun likes to hang the safety every once in a while. Last spring after a crow shoot I found a burr on the safety mast and just maybe I have it fixed.
I have and shoot a few of these NID tens, and I really do recomend that you glass bed the head of the stock while you have the gun apart. Good Luck

scott kittredge
11-13-2010, 05:08 AM
do you find that your 10 shoot tight patterns ? like 99.6 % of 1 1/8 ths oz of 7 1/2. scott

David Lien
11-14-2010, 12:12 PM
Scott: When I shoot light loads in the tens it is with 12 Ga. factory shells and Gauge Mates. The patterns are always very tight. Even the 1 7/8 oz 12 Loads shoot tight in the tens.
I have 327 Alcan 10 Ga. Brass cases that are dedicated to this short NID Ten. I started loading and shooting these shells back in the late 1950s. (Old habits die hard) When I want very tight patterns I will cut the shot cup off from a Sami one or BPD wad and place it on top ot the last fiber wad in the load and fill with buffer and shot. I shot them all empty last spring on the Crows. As I get older I may now need a bigger pattern in order to hit things. HA HA. When "old blackie" folds up with multiple hits at long range it tickles my funny bone. So Scott you keep up the good work with those ten ga. shotguns. Good Luck :)