PDA

View Full Version : Lifter Questions

Jack Cronkhite
07-14-2010, 06:52 PM
Hi: I'm looking at a lifter with sn given as 22xxx

It is on the net at a gun shop. the person replying does not seem to know for sure what it is and he called it "Parker Arms". The one pic looks like a grade 0 or maybe grade 1 lifter.

Did any other gun makers produce Lifters?
Is there any Meriden Conn markings on barrel ribs or anywhere else?
Is there any fool proof markings that indicate the gun will be a Parker Bros. Meriden Conn made gun??

What is a reasonable price tag if the gun is good (shooter vs collector piece)

Thanks,
Jack ("itis" is telling me I don't have a Lifter)

Robin Lewis
07-14-2010, 07:13 PM
I think if you ask what is inscribed on the rib you will know.... it should have this and the type of barrel too.

Dean Romig
07-14-2010, 08:27 PM
A lifter gun in that serial number range will always have PARKER BROS. engraved on the lock plates.

Parker Arms doesn't cut it.

Bill Murphy
07-15-2010, 08:19 AM
I'm not sure that a 22,000 range Parker would have a rib like the one pictured. Shouldn't it be plain finish with no matting? I would assume, if the gun is a lifter gun, the seller is confused about the "Parker Arms" terminology. It is probably a real Parker Brothers gun.

Jack Cronkhite
07-15-2010, 08:28 AM
I think it probably is. It looks like the lifter pictures, which is why I was wondering if any other makers built lifter actions. I have had one exchange with the shop and he says he can see Parker Bros but no mention anywhere of Meriden, which has kept me wondering a bit. Much nicer to hold the gun and have a look in person.
Cheers,
Jack

Jack Cronkhite
07-18-2010, 01:51 AM
Well it is a Parker Bros and it is Meriden Conn Twist, not Damascus as was listed. Wood is said to be good, some CC left, tight, on face, bores clean and bright with some very light pitting present, 32". Overall, it is held out to be a VG gun and a safe shooter with BP. Grade 0 or maybe 1 by the look of the one picture I have seen.
I'm thinking around a 1K$ offer. For those who know these guns, is that reasonable or a bit much or a bit low??
Thanks,
Jack

Dave Suponski
07-18-2010, 07:50 AM
Jack,Prices for good lifter guns are rising.If the gun is in the condition you describe I think you would do "OK" at a grand. Remember you are buying the barrels.....:)

Rick Losey
07-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Remember you are buying the barrels.....:)

good advice to remember - I have been telling myself that for a week now after walking away from a hammer gun I was sure had been honed out, but didn't know how much. Someone needs to invent a pocket sized bore/wall thickness gauge, they'd save me some sleepness nights of second guessing :crying:

Bill Murphy
07-18-2010, 11:56 AM
A pocket size wall thickness gauge would only measure the barrel for a length as long as your pocket. The Manson wall thickness gauge, sold by Brownell's is more than a foot long, works well, and is as cheap as any gauge that does what it does. About a hundred bucks, will more than pay for itself with the first gun you measure with it. More expensive alternatives, less portable, are Tony Galazan's bench mounted gauge and Jon Hosford's set which is a bit more convenient than Tony's for use outside of the home and shop.

Jack Cronkhite
07-23-2010, 01:11 AM
Well I think I might have to bite the bullet (pellets??) on this one. BWT is .050 with bores .720 and .722. So, since I'm "buying the barrels" it seems they will do the job. Taking a few roosters with a lifter hammer gun seems like it could be an enjoyable day's work (provided the bureaucracy can make it all happen before the season ends :rolleyes:).
Cheers,
Jack

Austin W Hogan
07-23-2010, 10:33 PM
Jack : first thanks; your article is on its way to the Autumn Parker Pages.

Second; if the muzzle ID is .720 and the wall thickness is .050 at the muzzle, you probably have a regular set of Parker barrels in the serial range 5000 - 70000 with .750 bore diameter and .032 choke. If that bore diameter is 4 inches or more behind the muzzle, it may be a 14 ga gun.

Best, Austin

Jack Cronkhite
07-24-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks Austin. This season will be a bit of fun as I will be putting a few new guns to work in the field. Hopefully all the bureaucracy is satisfied before the end of the season so I can give the lifter a go as well.

Best regards,
Jack

Dave Suponski
07-24-2010, 11:35 AM
Jack,Will your restoration gun be ready for the fall?

Jack Cronkhite
07-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Dave: As far as metal parts go, I could re-assemble today (tomorrow, next week, next month) all depending on what's happening in life. I have not dealt with the wood or the poor old butt plate. I'm still thinking I will take a couple roosters with it this year. I'm also thinking I will use it for pictures to build a disassembly-reassembly manual with instructions for the non-gunsmith. We'll see about that maybe during the winter.
Cheers,
Jack

Dave Suponski
07-24-2010, 12:12 PM
Thanks Jack..:)

David Hamilton
08-01-2010, 02:50 PM
Well Jack, As our bureaucracies become more frenchified and layered the perquisite becomes more common. The lifters are great guns and you will have fun with it. Jent Mitchell has been working up low pressure nitro loads for old guns using Clays powder, as are other members of this forum. I have shot some of them and they are great. Much easier to clean up after than BP. One doesn't get the lovely cloud of blue smoke but then one can then see whether one missed or not. there are low pressure, low velocity loads made by RTS and B&P. B&P makes a 2 5/8" shell that might be the chamber length in your lifter. You did say 12 gauge? Good shooting. David

Jack Cronkhite
08-01-2010, 11:35 PM
David: 12 gauge it is. Seller sent to my exporting FFL on same day I paid. Credit card deducted following day. FFL has gun and holding until the bureaucracy catches up. I have to register the gun to me sight unseen or Border Services will not release. I have to get an International Import Certificate to send to FFL and to show to border services. Those two items applied for on the day I made the deal. Private enterprise has done it's part in a couple days. Bureaucracy, well I expect it will be at least a month or more to have the two documents I need to get the lifter to its new home. There is still 8 weeks to pheasant season, so I'm still hoping to give the hammers a workout this year.
Cheers,
Jack

Bob Brown
08-02-2010, 02:46 PM
Way to go, Jack. Another Parker coming north. Its hard to believe bird season is so close. September 1 for all types up in my area. Time flies.

Jack Cronkhite
08-02-2010, 03:30 PM
Tough for us addicts having to put up with summer. :)

Jack Cronkhite
08-02-2010, 08:55 PM
For those shooting pheasants with an underlifter and using RST (http://www.rstshells.com/rst_classic_shotshells_shotshells.htm) what is your choice in 12 gauge 2 1/2" ?? I can use lead here and prefer that to the copper offered. 5, 6 even 71/2 work for me so the question becomes

is the lowest velocity also the lowest pressure or is the difference in pressure minimal for the velocities offered??

I have never used less than 1oz shot loads but I see they offer 7/8 oz as well.

I'm wanting to feed the gentlest loads but also want to drop them DOA.

I have never gotten into reloading.

All replies will be appreciated.

thanks
Jack

David Hamilton
08-02-2010, 10:35 PM
Jack. you can use somewhat larger shot size to compensate for the lower velocity but it seems to me that other factors come into play. After all, these slower loads did very well in the past. There are many good articles about this subject in the Parker pages as well as the Double Journal. A great deal of research has recently established an interesting paradox which suggests that velocity has been over-sold as the answer to hunter's needs.
David

lee r moege
08-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Jack: The English for many years ,[centuries even] have built and shot guns chambered 2 1/2" with an ounce of shot as their standard game load. The English size 7 shot is close to our size 6. It has only been of modern times, post WWI I would surmise, that they went to 2 3/4" chambers as standard. Even then you could order a 2 1/2" gun. I hate to think how many driven pheasant and partridge have been killed with a 2 1/2" 12 gage. I ordered #6 copper, and #7 lead loads from RST for my damascus gun and had no trouble killing a 21 lb. wild turkey with 1 oz. of copper 6's at 30 yards. The chokes are .022 and.034 and there is a swarm of pellets of both shot sizes at 30 yards.He was shot with the .022 barrel. I plan to shoot roosters with the #7 shot this fall. Maybe your Canadian birds are tougher than Kansas birds. The secret is pattern, pattern, pattern ! Have a nice day! Lee.

David Hamilton
08-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Pattern, Pattern, Pattern, Yes! For birds its Location, Location, Location, or should I say: Kansas, Kansas, Kansas!! David