PDA

View Full Version : Newly inherited SBT

Jeff Weihing
03-28-2017, 04:23 PM
I recently inherited my Grandpa's 12 g SBT. I love going trap shooting, but normally use my tried and true Wingmaster. After I have it gone through and cleaned, is there a ammo type that is suggested for a '36 SBT? Cant wait to get it out and have some good old memories!

I have done quite a bit or research and I'm going to have a research letter done on it. What is the mostly letters stamped on the bottom of the barrel where it locks in? My is stamped CF3PE

Dave Noreen
03-28-2017, 05:05 PM
These were the hot ticket back when your Grandfather's gun was made --

At this time, I'd shoot Federal papers for the nostalgic smell.

Dean Romig
03-28-2017, 05:28 PM
Yup, shoot Trap Loads. That's what it was made for.

Wow!! Thirty-Six inch barrel - now there's a scarce configuration! You're a lucky man.

Chuck Bishop
03-28-2017, 05:53 PM
Dean, I think he means the gun was made in 1936, not the barrel length. Just a guess but I think the gun was made in 1935. The CF3P could mean the gun was serviced by Parker/Remington in April 1937. I just don't know what the P is.

John Dallas
03-28-2017, 05:53 PM
36" or 1936? I'm betting the latter

Jeff Weihing
03-28-2017, 06:07 PM
Yes, meant 1936. Also, what would you guys think of condition? the gun was given to my grandpa from his dads cousin in Casper,WY. Love the history and can't wait to get the research letter. Hoping it was bought by J.T. Irick.

Dean Romig
03-28-2017, 06:18 PM
I would say it's in very high original condition. I can't comment on the pad though, I don't know what year that particular style was introduced.

I love that original unmessed-with trap comb.

Frank Cronin
03-28-2017, 06:21 PM
HI Jeff

You have a really nice, unmolested SBT in amazing condition with also I believe is the original Hawkins model 25 recoil pad.

Shoot standard 3 dram 1 1/8oz trap loads will be no problem with this gun although shooting lighter 1 oz will do the job just fine from the 16 yard line and easier for the gun and your shoulder.

These guns pattern beautifully than today's expensive trap guns. Your new Parker from your grandad will incinerate them. Enjoy and give us a recap on your first shoot.

Bill Murphy
03-28-2017, 06:27 PM
The condition is extremely high. End of story. Who is the fellow you mentioned? Not likely to get original ownership information from a PGCA letter, but I could happen.

Dave Suponski
03-28-2017, 07:40 PM
What a wonderful high condition SBT! Congratulations. I agree that the pad is original Hawkins or at least an original style replacement. Grind'em up!

Brian Dudley
03-28-2017, 07:56 PM
Yeah, the condition of the gun looks to be very good. Hard to tell on the amount of case color, but all else looks to be excellent. What is most important is that the gun is not messed with or altered. A lot of Single Barrel Traps were messed with, a lot.

Jeff Weihing
03-28-2017, 08:09 PM
Thats great to know guys! It looks amazing to me, but don't know all the stuff. J.T. Irick was my grandpa's, dads cousin. He had a saddle and tack business in Casper, WY around 1930s. My Grandpa had a saddle and tack business in Craig,CO.

Stub, I will definitely take your advice about the loads and will up date about the rounds.

Thanks everyone for the info!

charlie cleveland
03-28-2017, 10:39 PM
nice gun im glad you have a family heirloom and your luckey to have a gun in such nice shape enjoy it....charlie

Randy Davis
03-29-2017, 09:14 AM
Great to see your Parker SBT... One of the nicest original C grade single barrel trap guns that I have seen in many years of collecting these fine old shotguns. You should take it to your club a few times a year for a few rounds
of trap...

best regards,
Randy Davis
Trap3

Chuck Bishop
03-29-2017, 09:59 AM
I don't want to discourage you from getting a letter however you won't find out who originally ordered the gun because that information is contained in the order books and they ended in 1919. Your information would come from the last stock book and it will only give you the grade, barrel length, and price.

BTW, great gun!

Dave Noreen
03-29-2017, 10:02 AM
Wonderful inheritance. PE (P = June, E = 1936) probably indicates when the barrel was made. CF3 (C = April, F = 1937, 3 = repair) indicates a repair made to the gun. Unfortunately most all repair records from that era no longer exist.

I hunted Sage Grouse around Craig, Colorado, in 1970.

Wonderful area.

Phil Yearout
03-29-2017, 10:41 AM
That's one sweet looking trap gun, and to have the family provenance along with it is simply the best! Congrats, and enjoy it!

Mark Riessen
03-30-2017, 09:28 PM
Super nice gun, has some transition features. Very difficult to find real clean SBT's. Shoot lite trap loads and you will have a BLAST !! Mark

Jeff Weihing
04-05-2017, 03:43 PM
Mark, what do you mean when you say "has some transition features"?

Frank Cronin
04-05-2017, 04:41 PM
How did the SBT shoot Jeff?? :corn:

Jeff Weihing
04-05-2017, 04:50 PM
Headed to the range tomorrow morning.

Jeff Weihing
04-06-2017, 05:39 PM
Took the SBT out today and it shot amazingly!! It definitely shot better than the guy behind it.

Randy Davis
04-06-2017, 06:03 PM
That`s Great! You just need to shoot a few more rounds to figure out where it shoots... Thanks for the pic...

Trap3

Jeff Christie
04-06-2017, 08:14 PM
An old rule of thumb was it takes a couple of cases (not flats) to really learn a gun. The fun is shooting up those cases of shells

Mark Riessen
04-06-2017, 10:15 PM
Hi Jeff, Well from what I can see in the pictures, the ser. no. would put it's mfg. about 1935. Remington took control in '34 I believe. The bbls. have their roll mark on the side where a full blown Ilion gun would have no info on the rib or bbls. Also Remington only purchased the name 'PARKER' not Parker bros. Notice that on the belly of the frame it says only 'PARKER'. The grip cap is Meriden not Ilion as the guns were still mfg. in Conn. and had not moved to NY. Also the flying bird changed direction at some point after the purchase by Remington. One goes left the other goes right. None of it really matters, it is just odd little thing that Parker guys notice and have fun with when picking guns apart. Some collectors really get excited about transition guns and there features. I love them all, especially really clean guns like yours that have not been 'overhauled'. You are super lucky to get such a nice one. The main thing is don't put it in the closet. Buy several flats of light trap loads and take her out and enjoy her, she was made to shoot. She has more character and style than 20 or 30 so called modern trap guns, trust me, I've shot em both. I just got really lucky in life and met up with a guy named Jeff Christie who was willing to take the time and show me some of his old guns and get me going in the right direction. I had the inclination but was a little bit confused and not sure what to do. Stay on this site and you will learn a ton. Have fun, don't take things to seriously and good luck. Mark

Frank Cronin
04-07-2017, 12:03 AM
Thanks for the update and picture Jeff. I'm sure when you removed the Parker from your case and put it on the gun rack I'm sure you it had quite the stir and people were curious as to what you had there. That's what's great about shooting these fine old guns..... it begins a conversation and introduces and exposes these guns to new people.

Jeff Weihing
04-07-2017, 12:02 PM
Hey Mark, Thank you for all the info. The more I research Parkers, the more I fall in love with the history. Already have started an early look into getting another one. Your knowledge is amazing and I really appreciate it. Do you have any idea about my other post? The one about the handwritten, in pencil 287 on the inside of the forearm? The # doesn't mean anything to my family and I doubt that my grandpa would have written it. Also does not have any connection to the SN.

Mark Riessen
04-07-2017, 10:35 PM
Your welcome Jeff. My knowledge is small and limited compared to the more serious collectors. But could tell that you were excited and looking for info. No I can't really guess as to the meaning of the number on the forearm. Two good sources of information that any Parker man wants to have access to are 'PARKER GUN identification & serialization' and 'THE PARKER STORY' . The first is easy to obtain and affordable the second is abit more difficult , maybe out of print right now. But sometimes they come up for sale. Invaluable and worth every penny if you want to chase around after Parker shotguns. Best of luck to you and stay on the website here. The fellas are VERY helpful and friendly. Much info and help for new guys. Keep you cheek down tight, your elbows up and loose, don't think to much, and FOCUS on the bird. Good luck, Mark