PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Fishing Raffle

Paul Ehlers
03-24-2017, 10:39 AM
I recently corresponded with Jeff Kuss about the foundation raffle for the Alaska fishing trip this July. Jeff informed me the raffle might not happen for the lack of interest & sales of tickets. He also stated that he would need to return the money to those who have already sent in their money.

I would like to add my two cents here if I may. I am a former Alaska fishing guide/lodge manager who spent five years fishing the streams, lakes & oceans of Alaska from South East Alaska to Prince William Sound & the Kenia river system. I know the value of a trip like whats being offered in this raffle.

I'm rather surprised to hear that the minimum of fifty tickest hasn't been sold so far to be able to justify holding the raffle. IMO this is one heck of a deal for chance to win a trip of this value. Personally in my way of thinking if only fifty tickets were sold you would have a 1 in 50 chance to win a trip of a life time. That's one heck of a lot better odds than playing the lottery or the NCAA brackets. Think about how many times you have spent a $100.00 on much more foolish things.

I guess what I'm trying to say is if you can see your way to finding an extra hundred bucks, send it in to Jeff and help make the raffle happen. It is going to the Parker foundation.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, it's not my intent. I'm just trying to help sell some tickets for the raffle.

Robin Lewis
03-24-2017, 10:45 AM
Paul, I agree!

My #1 bucket list item is to go to Alaska. I'm not a fisherman but I sent in my $100 last year and the same issue caused my $100 to be returned.

This year isn't good for me to go, so I passed on this but it's one hell of a deal. And the odds are better than buying 50 powerball tickets, that's for sure.

Dean Romig
03-24-2017, 11:31 AM
Here's my $0.02 on the subject. It really IS a $12,000 value. I went to Alaska on a fishing trip back in '92 and that same trip today would easily be $12K. For Pete's sake take the chance! You'll never have this opportunity again for what may possibly be the trip of a lifetime for just $100!

That's like the equivalent of like three tanks of gas or a flat of RST's :cool:

Phillip Carr
03-24-2017, 02:02 PM
Come on guys. I would love to go on this trip with my wife. I bought mine and hoped to have a once in a lifetime chance. Even if you can not go it would make one heck of a donation to Make a wish foundation, plus putting money into PGCA account.
If we can not make a raffle work maybe a silent auction. I would start it off at $5,000.

Larry Frey
03-24-2017, 03:44 PM
I hope this doesn't offend anyone, it's not my intent. I'm just trying to help sell some tickets for the raffle.

Paul,
Certainly no one should be offended by your statements and thank you for making those points. This is the second time this member has so generously donated this trip and we can't thank him enough. The last time we could not get enough interest and the money was returned which not only disappointed all those that did buy tickets but denied the Parker Foundation funds they could use to cover their expenses. I'm not a big fisherman but I bought two more tickets this year with hopes of seeing Alaska for the first time. For those that don't fish or can't get to Alaska this year perhaps you know someone who would appreciate the opportunity to buy a ticket. Now that I think about it I think I will post the notice at my club tomorrow. Perhaps others could do the same.

Dean Romig
03-24-2017, 03:55 PM
Excellent points Larry!

For all, even those who don't fish - this is about the most exciting fishing you will probably ever do!

Robin Lewis
03-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Don't remember how to get a ticket:confused:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20344&highlight=alaska

:corn:

Dean Romig
03-26-2017, 09:46 PM
TTT

Curry Reeves
03-27-2017, 05:25 PM
I just posted the link for raffle tickets http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20344&highlight=alaska on another board (NGTO.ORG - North Georgia Trout Online). Plenty of fishermen there. I hope this helps.

Joe Reeves

Robin Lewis
04-05-2017, 03:54 PM
Any word on how the ticket sales are going; are sales over the threshold to have the drawing?

Jeff Kuss
04-05-2017, 08:22 PM
Robin,
No we have not sold enough tickets to have the raffle at this time. We only have a couple weeks to go.
Guys, Buy at chance at a once in a lifetime fishing trip. While you are at it buy a ticket for the Hall of Fame Dinner at the Southern also.
Jeff

Dean Romig
04-05-2017, 09:21 PM
Jeff, the announcement says that the exact trip date will be announced in January...... Has it been announced or will that take place in January of 2018?

Phillip Carr
04-30-2017, 03:41 PM
Will this raffle be held, or will money be refunded again? I still think if enough tickets can not be sold that we should start off a silent auction at the minimum ticket sales of 50 which is $5,000 if the board and the Guide service agrees. Just my 2 cents.

Jeff Kuss
04-30-2017, 06:15 PM
Phil,
It was announced at the Hall of Fame Dinner Friday nite that the raffle would not happen.
We didn't sell enough tickets. It is too late to try and do something else with the trip.
I will return the checks in tomorrows mail.
Jeff

Phillip Carr
04-30-2017, 06:52 PM
Darn what a shame. Oh well maybe next year.

Dean Romig
04-30-2017, 07:00 PM
That's twice now. I'll be surprised if it is offered again.

Phillip Carr
04-30-2017, 07:52 PM
I don't quit understand why we can not take advantage of this offer and put some money in the PGCA account by having a silent auction.
If we start this off at $5,000 we could make a minimum of 5K. As stated before I would bid 5K and I bet others would bid more.
If it is the vendor that would not approve I understand.
Seems are real shame not to use this opportunity, using another method to take advantage of this most generous offer. I understand it looks like it is too late, but if the Silent Auction was open on line for only a week this could happen fast. I know I need to quit beating this dead horse.

Paul Ehlers
05-04-2017, 04:56 PM
Just got my check back. What a shame the raffle couldn't be pulled off. The odds for this raffle were good ones. A truly missed opportunity for one of the members to have an awesome trip & the PGCA foundation to make some serious cash.

What happens to the donated trip at this point?

Jeff Kuss
05-04-2017, 05:11 PM
You can check with Darin about it. I would guess that he has booked the time.
Jeff

Daren Erickson
05-05-2017, 11:16 PM
I am in Montana fishing or "training" prior to the 2017 season at the lodge. I am all about doing an auction with a minimum bid for 2018. Surprised that more of the members aren't interested in making the trip. Just thought it would be a perfect fit...

Dean Romig
05-05-2017, 11:58 PM
It would have been Daren - It should have been.

Just for our information Daren - this isn't strictly a fly-fishing trip is it? Spinning gear is OK and legal isn't it?

Daren Erickson
05-06-2017, 12:09 AM
Dean,

Our focus is catch and release fly fishing...

Phillip Carr
05-06-2017, 12:15 AM
Daren first thank you for your very generous donation. I too am surprised more tickets were not sold. The odds for winning this trip was excellent. I think a Silent auction if done on line so all members could bid. Starting off with a minimum bid might do quit well.

Daren Erickson
05-06-2017, 12:19 AM
Phil,

I am all ears! Would like to do my part...

Larry Frey
05-06-2017, 07:21 AM
Phil,

I am all ears! Would like to do my part...

Daren,
You already did your part, twice in fact. :bowdown:Thank you for your generous contributions.

Mike Franzen
05-13-2017, 09:20 AM
I was disappointed the drawing was called off. I felt like I was going to win this trip of a lifetime. I just got my checks in the mail. Thank you Daren for your support. Maybe next year it will happen.