PDA

View Full Version : Parts cleaning

Gary Carmichael Sr
07-08-2010, 02:12 PM
I do not own a ultrasonic cleaning device can I put all the parts in boiling water to clean them or will I have to worry about the metal warping?

Dave Suponski
07-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Gary,I wouldn't think that 212 degrees would be hot enough to temper anything. So my vote is to boil away...

Gary Carmichael Sr
07-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Thanks Dave Ill do just that and it will dry nicely. Gary

Austin W Hogan
07-08-2010, 10:58 PM
Gary; you may need to immediatly oil or grease the freshly cleaned surface to prevent rust. There is a Browning video on this boil /clean technique.

Best, Austin

Gary Carmichael Sr
07-09-2010, 09:32 PM
Thanks all, the parts came out perfect looks like they went through a steam ginny. and Austin I did oil them at once. The formula, 1-Large pot, plenty of hot water, turn stove on high. Caution at this point do not watch pot. The old saying a watched pot never boils is very true. When water is a rolling boil place parts in with tongs. Open cold beer and tell your wife you are cooking grits. After 30 min remove from the elixser. put them on your wifes favorite towel to dry.When dry oil parts while still on the towel, put parts in bag and leave home for a while. Although this might not be the best way to clean parts its sure as hell the most fun!