PDA

View Full Version : Unknown Lifter Part.....

Mark Landskov
07-06-2010, 09:12 PM
......here is a photo. What is this 'pin' running through the receiver beneath the sideplates?

Dean Romig
07-06-2010, 10:03 PM
The pin for the check hook possibly?

Mark Landskov
07-07-2010, 05:14 PM
The pin passes through a solid bridge. The barrel lug actually butts up against the bridge to enhance the lock-up. Is the pin an afterthought for adding strength?

Austin W Hogan
07-07-2010, 10:15 PM
The pin doesn't seem to have afunction in the finished gun. My guess is that it was drilled in the soft fitted frame, and used to align the frame after hardening.

Best, Austin

Mark Landskov
07-14-2010, 05:34 PM
I just reassembled the locks, and noted a spot on the mainsprings where the pin butts right up to the spring. I can't imagine that there is a lot of room for the springs to pop out of place. Hmmm....That is an interesting theory, Austin. I wonder if anyone else has this pin in their lifter gun.

Mark Landskov
08-21-2010, 07:31 PM
My new 1879 Lifter has the same pin.

Jack Cronkhite
08-28-2010, 11:15 PM
Mark: I'm catching up on reading the forums after a road trip. I went back a bit too far and opened this again. I had tried to find detail about that part, to no avail but, in the searching, I came across a lifter for sale. It has made it from seller to my exporting FFL. It is registered to me now and I have the International Import Certificate. My FFL is on holidays. I expect to actually hold the gun in mid-September, which then gives me two weeks to have a good hard look at it and maybe pass a couple RST's through the barrels before CHARLIE, KYRA and I head out for roosters.

Thanks, I guess, for asking the question.

Cheers,
Jack

Mark Landskov
08-29-2010, 08:11 AM
Hi Jack,
I am waiting for my 12 gauge barrels to be returned from Brad Bachelder. They should be back anytime, now. They were, literally, sewer pipes! Brad is doing a full restoration. I didn't want an expensive wall hanger, so I figured on making a 'shooter' out of it. I have a couple of boxes of Polywad Vintagers standing by! Cheers!