PDA

View Full Version : Patern testing repro

Kenny Graft
07-04-2010, 09:03 AM
The first gun to be tested is my 20ga. 28" barrels that was sent to Mike Orlen and had the chokes opened up a little. Original chokes were 18/39, .039 is over choke in a 20ga. I will test one of my other repro's with .038 choke to see the quality of its patern next. This test gun is my shooter go to gun for clay targets and foul weather. So I wanted the chokes more geared for my needs. I had them cut to .010/.024 = light mod and light full. I started with this one to make sure it still shot point of aim after the choke work. (it does) Working with a steel plate and white wash I shot my factory fiochi VIP-7.5# loads that I use for s-clays. From sand bags at 40 yards both barrels shot low?...hmmmm. I continued testing my paterns with several shots. 40 yards is a ways out there but that is the correct distance to get proper test numbers in a 30" circle. The 7/8oz loads of hard shot have 300 pellets in them. With this one load test it shows the right barrel at about 53% or skeet 2 and the left barrel at 73% or imp mod. I think with hi quality field loads these numbers will be better. Will do additional testing with factory hunting loads later. About the point of aim.....from the sand bags I pointed the gun like a rifle aiming flat down the rib....I know these guns have little drop in the stocks and point high, this one is approx 2 3/16" drop at the heal....when I mount the gun like normal shooting im not looking flat on the rib so I test fired the gun free hand for P.O.I. again and now its perfectly on target with both barrels...(-: YOU CAN'T TEST ELIVATION POINT OF AIM FROM SAND BAGS!......I shot a couple P.O.I. tests at 20 yards, nothing centered in them paterns would escape! Testing shotgun barrels is very time consuming project!....With the 4'X5' steel back stop and a gallon of cheep white wash and a roller its mutch faster. Spray paint did not work very well....would not cover the bb marks with out several coats,takes to long. I do use a spray can of bright orange for the aim point. When I get some time I will test a original set of 20Ga berrels choked 18/38 to compair numbers and then my 28ga. guns....So mutch to do ...so little time! thanks all Kenny Graft SXS ohio....(-: