PDA

View Full Version : Sterlingworth 20 Gauge

John Farrell
06-28-2010, 07:15 PM
A gun with DT I picked up recently sends some of the recoil down into the front trigger on which I have a an arthritic trigger finger planted. I have fired some 1150 FPS and 1200 FPS loads with the same problem from both loads. Any ideas on how to dampen this recoil?

Dean Romig
06-28-2010, 08:16 PM
John, forgive me if I misunderstand.... are you shooting with a finger on each trigger and the recoil causes the second barrel to discharge immediately and unexpectedly after the first?

Francis Morin
06-28-2010, 10:26 PM
John- I am not a AH Fox expert- I have a 20 Sterlingworth with DT, mine is a later series made in Utica NY- it has 2.75" long chambers, although I shoot 2.5" RST loads in it-- If you have an early Phila. mfg. gun it is possible that it may have 2.5" and NOT 2.75" long chambers- if so, that may be one reason for the seemingly excessive recoil-

A minor point, more akin to the precision rifle shooting area, but how much of your finger pad contacts the trigger blade may also be part of this situation- and gun fit too-:bigbye:

John Farrell
06-29-2010, 07:54 PM
Dean - I only have one finger on the front trigger. Granted, after shooting for some 63 years it is not in the best condition, arthritis, but none of my other guns gives me the problem. I, like you, can shoot my Parker guns all day without discomfort.

Francis - I just measured the chamber again. It is 2.75. This is a Utica gun SN 262XXX. The fit is good, about 14.75 for my 5'10" (with 34" sleeve) size. I shoot a lot of trap and I tend to wrap my finger, to the first (arthritic) joint. This is simply recoil going to the front trigger.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Dean Romig
06-29-2010, 09:15 PM
John, I'm confused... where is the recoil coming from that causes the right barrel (front trigger with your {arthritic} finger on it) to discharge unexpectedly??

John Farrell
06-30-2010, 08:23 AM
Dean - the gun does not discharge accidentally. When a bird gets up, and I take the shot, the front (right barrel) trigger delivers some energy from the recoil to my trigger finger. The rear (left barrel) trigger, when pulled, also delivers some of the energy from the recoil to my finger, but not as severely as the front trigger.

When I pull the triggers with snap caps in the chambers, energy is also delivered to the triggers. John

Dean Romig
06-30-2010, 09:01 AM
That's odd John... I'll bet there is some crud in the action that is allowing the transmission of energy or movement of internal parts.

charlie cleveland
06-30-2010, 09:24 AM
john i dont belive the gun is the trouble. i belive that its the position of your finger on the front trigger. try this extend finger as thouh it were firing your gun with trigger finger on front trigger now pull the make belive trigger now pull the rear trigger. which finger had the most pain... i also have autherritici have just tried this procedure. my finger on front trigger has the most pain. i belive this to be way finger is extended on the front trigger. hope this made sense.... charlie

tom tutwiler
07-08-2010, 03:12 PM
Curious as to whether the gun has a recoil pad installed. Wondering if perhaps the recoil is transferred back to where it compresses the pad and then the pad rebounds forward and causes the trigger to jump forward and directly into arthritic finger. All of this of course happens in a millisecond. Those SW 20's are very light and I can see where whatever recoil is generated by stout shells might cause this sort of reaction. Well, its a theory anyway.

John Farrell
07-16-2010, 05:28 PM
All of the above suggestions are appreciated. First, disassemble and look to see if there is crud in the trigger assembly, springs etc. Then, maybe a recoil dampening device. JF