PDA

View Full Version : My First Parker!

Mark Landskov
06-25-2010, 05:15 PM
Greetings and Salutations!
I just purchased my first Parker Bros. shotgun. It is a Hammer/Lifter model in 12 gauge. It is a rather plain gun with straight grip, no checkering, and no engraving. The plain twist barrels are 32" with the following markings: the right flat has a 0 ('Zero' Grade?) and 4 12. Forward of the right flat is 13. On the bottom of the lug is o 2. The serial number is 10250. All visible numbers match. Overall, the gun looks great! Unfortunately, I cannot say the same for the bores. The exterior of the barrels has been taken care of and they are a light tan color. The trigger guard retains some bluing, but the rest of the metal has turned brown. I hope to learn a lot from all of you here! Cheers!

Jack Cronkhite
06-25-2010, 11:08 PM
Mark: Welcome. Lots of knowledgeable folks here. Your gun appears to match the factory specs for 10250; namely, 0 grade, plain twist, underlifter hammer gun, straight grip stock, 12 gauge, 32 inch barrels No extras out of the factory. The lug stamp indicates a 2 frame gun. 4 12 appears to be the unstruck barrel weight being 4 pounds 12 ounces. The 12 should be a superscipt slightly above the 4. I leave it to others to comment on the 13.

Are the bores "pitted" or just dirty?

We enjoy pictures and would like to see your gun.

I note you understand what you have gotten into when you call it your "first" Parker.

Cheers,
Jack

Mark Landskov
06-26-2010, 11:31 AM
Thanks for the Welcome and good info, Jack. I have been scrubbing the bores this morning. Yes, they are pitted and not so pretty! The majority of the pits are just beyond the chambers. There was something on the outside of the barrels that caused Hoppe's solvent to bead up on the surface. Maybe some sort of shellac? Was that a common practice years ago? I will work on some photos. Do I have to put them in Photo Bucket first?

John Dallas
06-26-2010, 01:35 PM
From the FAQ section:

To attach a file to your post, you need to be using the main 'New Post' or 'New Thread' page and not 'Quick Reply'. To use the main 'New Post' page, click the 'Post Reply' button in the relevant thread.

On this page, below the message box, you will find a button labelled 'Manage Attachments'. Clicking this button will open a new window for uploading attachments. You can upload an attachment either from your computer or from another URL by using the appropriate box on this page. Alternatively you can click the Attachment Icon to open this page.

To upload a file from your computer, click the 'Browse' button and locate the file. To upload a file from another URL, enter the full URL for the file in the second box on this page. Once you have completed one of the boxes, click 'Upload'.

Once the upload is completed the file name will appear below the input boxes in this window. You can then close the window to return to the new post screen.

What files types can I use? How large can attachments be?

In the attachment window you will find a list of the allowed file types and their maximum sizes. Files that are larger than these sizes will be rejected. There may also be an overall quota limit to the number of attachments you can post to the board.

Mark Landskov
06-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Okay, here are some photos. I hope this works!

Mark Landskov
06-26-2010, 06:01 PM
That was easy! I also found a tiny J.S. stamped on the center lug. Is this an inspector?

Dave Suponski
06-26-2010, 06:38 PM
Yes,I stands for John Stokes a Parker Bros. barrel contractor.

Bob Roberts
06-26-2010, 10:34 PM
Mark, With an eye to the possible meaning of the 13 and/or the o stampings, have you measured the bore diameters yet?

Mark Landskov
06-26-2010, 10:44 PM
I do not have the capability to measure the bores. I kinda wondered if the 13 had something to do with bore diameter. There is a 0 on the lug and the right barrel flat. I don't know if one, or both, of them refer to the grade.

Mark Landskov
07-04-2010, 03:44 PM
I finally have everything disassembled. There was quite a bit of rusty dirt/dried up oil/sweat deposited in every nook and cranny! The hammer and tumbler assemblies rock back and forth in the sideplates, ever so slightly. When measured with a digital caliper, I could find only .0005" difference between the hole and the shaft! I thought they would be all tuckered out. There is an awful lot of steel in this gun! Very well built. The original order tag is available for it, too. I just mailed off my dues for the PGCA and will be looking forward to the newsletters. Cheers!

Mark Landskov
09-11-2010, 07:33 PM
I spoke with Brad Bachelder yesterday about my barrels. I should be receiving a call this coming week when they are finished. He told me that he puts a coating on them and the best thing I can do for them is apply Johnson's Paste Wax. Just in time for the Ruffed Grouse opener next Saturday!

Austin W Hogan
09-13-2010, 06:19 AM
There is some wiggle to be expected between lock and hammer in the locks of grades 0,1, and 2. Grades 3 and above have a fourth pin/screw in the lock plate, and very little wiggle.

Best, Austin

Mark Landskov
09-13-2010, 07:20 AM
Good to know, Austin. I was surprised to find very little wear when I measured with a caliper. I figured, with as much force required to cock the hammer and actually firing the gun, that the holes would be all boogered out! As for the number 13 on the right barrel, 'The Parker Story' mentions that many early barrel(s) were marked with the bore size before final boring and honing. So, 13 actually makes sense now! Cheers!

Mark Landskov
09-24-2010, 03:05 PM
I just received my barrels from Bachelders. They are gorgeous! There are some neat anomolies in the patterns. The bores are now .755" with .027" (IM) for the right choke and .033" (F) for the left choke. The wall thicknesses at 14" from the breech are .102" and .104".

Jack Cronkhite
09-24-2010, 07:11 PM
Well now, those are pretty barrels. Nicely done. With .102 walls at 14" they are pretty hefty as well. What ammo will you be taking those grouse with??
Cheers,
Jack

Pat Dugan
09-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Wow, makes me want to get my Underlifter #16,316 O Grade redone

PDD

Mark Landskov
09-24-2010, 09:24 PM
Jack, I use Polywad Vintagers with 7-1/2 shot. These work nicely in my Damascus LeFever. They should perform admirably in the Lifter. Cheers!

Harry Collins
09-25-2010, 08:10 AM
Mark,

Brad does nice work. He just did a set of barrels for me after he had fitted them to a frame I had lying about. I could not have been happier. I'll post pictures when the gun comes back from the stocker.

Harry

Mark Landskov
09-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Here is what it looks like. I really don't have a proper set-up for good photos, so I have to rely on sunlight, flash or available lamps.

Mark Landskov
09-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Here is the other side. I wrapped a .004" shim around the hinge pin to bring the barrels back 'on-face'. I also greased the hinge and forend iron with some Gunslick Gun Grease. Pert near as good as new! I will try her out tomorrow morning. Cheers!

Mark Landskov
09-27-2010, 01:53 PM
I ran a box of Polywads through the Lifter this morning. What a blast! She's a 'keeper'!